1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tolbert displaying his dependability

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Friday, January 1, 2010

Tolbert left, 7 yards. Tolbert left, 20 yards. Tolbert middle, no gain. Tolbert left, no gain. Tolbert right, 9 yards.
    Tolbert, tired?
    “I was,” Mike Tolbert said. “I looked to the sideline once (for a breather) and said, ‘Hey?’ (Running backs coach) Ollie (Wilson) had his arms up, saying, ‘We don’t have anybody else.’ I said, ‘All right’ and started stretching my legs. Let’s go a couple more.”
    Tolbert right, 2 yards. Tolbert right, 8 yards …
    When the Chargers were trying to hold onto the ball and run out the clock in their rout of the Tennessee Titans on Christmas night, they went with eight straight handoffs to Tolbert, then began taking a knee with backup quarterback Billy Volek. Part of it was Tolbert’s straight-on running style, and part of it was his dependability with the ball in his hands, but also at play were the facts that LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles already had been shut down in the third quarter and Jacob Hester had left play with a stinger.
    Likewise, the situation could dictate even more work for Tolbert on Sunday against the Washington Redskins. Hester’s still feeling the effects of the shoulder problem, and with the Chargers sure to rest Tomlinson for a substantial portion of a regular-season finale that has zero bearing on the standings or playoffs, Tolbert would be a likely source of offense.
    As it is, Tolbert’s distinguished himself as a special-teams demon and blocker and occasional target out of the backfield for Philip Rivers, including a reception that the fullback turned into a 66-yard touchdown at Cleveland. With the 11 totes at Tennessee, Tolbert has amassed 18 of his 25 carries in two of San Diego’s 15 games, averaging 5.9 yards per.
    “I liked having the burden on me,” Tolbert said. “It was a tremendous feeling, knowing the coaches and LT and everyone trusts me with the ball to close out a game. They know and I know that once they give me the ball, I’m going to take care of it and good things are going to happen. Also, seeing them all on the sideline, cheering me on, that was a good feeling.”
    “Youngster” is Tomlinson’s salutation for Tolbert, a second-year player who was undrafted out of unknown Coastal Carolina, but earned a spot with an outstanding camp in 2008. General Manager A.J. Smith calls him a running back who plays fullback, and to be sure, he’s a different kind of back than either Tomlinson or Sproles.
    “I’m not a slasher, not a finesse runner,” said Tolbert. “I’m more, get the ball, make one cut, if that, and go straight downhill.”

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Tolbert will be the guy that will knock the fineness out of defensive units in the coming week's. They wont know what hit them.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm very fond of Tolbert... have been ever since his Yogi the Bear TD celebration in the '08 preseason. You have to love the investment vs. reward this guy represents. Consider what this guy cost us to acquire, and his productivity, compared to what our other fullback cost us and his (lack of) productivity. Hard not to like him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Tolbert! YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!!!

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Tolbert has been very impressive when he has been given the chance. Another scouting dept gem?

6. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He will go down with UDFA's Gates, Dielman etc as a legit starter (he will never be a star but rather a VERY effective role player like Moose Johnson from Norv's Dallas days. Tolbert does flash real ability in the run game which is encouraging, I hope he gets 15+ carries sunday. People tell him he reminds them of Natrone Means High praise indeed!!!

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Are you saying that Gates will never be a star? :confused: I think Gates, the best TE in the league, is not a good person to place in your grouping.

Perhaps Cooper would be more suitable, and Floyd and Dobbins are also productive UDFA starters who lack star power.

8. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    :tup:

I firmly believe Tolbert is going to be the "under the radar" guy in the playoffs. With his unfortunate lack of playing time I see him making some key contributions during some critical parts of the games in the playoffs. He adds another dimension especially in the running game to an already potent offense. His power running against the titans gives opposing DC something else to plan for.

Changing gears, I also see LT breaking out in the playoffs. I think his lack of "productivity" in the running department may have given opposing DCs the idea that he is done, although they may not publically admit it. The way he has run lately especially in the cowpatty game is enough to plant a seed in opposing DCs minds that he has regained his juke/jive moves thus making it tougher to defend our offense. LT is due to big time. I feel it in me bones.

BTW, Happy New Year to all. :icon_party:

9. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Dobbins was a 5th round pick I believe....but Floyd and Cooper are better examples, as Gates is indeed in a category all by himself. He was just the first I thought of.

It just goes to show you how potentially valuable guys who never get drafted can become, AJ has struck it rich again with Tolbert.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yep Dobbins was indeed a draft pick.

Alongside Yogi UDFAs that have made it (to various degrees) over the last few years include Kassim, Cooper, Floyd, Cesaire, Dielman, Gates, Dombrowski, Gregory, Harris, Applewhite, Holt, Spillman, Tucker and OG.

That is a pretty incredible list isn't it?. If I'm not mistaken almost every position on the team (bar QB, kickers) has an UDFA appear over the last 2 yrs.

11. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Hmmm, my bad about Dobbins, but I am glad that his talent was recognized as draftable just the same.

I believe that the Bolts are the absolute best team at drafting and signing UDFAs, with the Pats coming in a close second...I do not even really care about the first couple of rounds at this point, as even if we strike out, we always finish on a strong note.