1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tolbert plows to 100 yards

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 2 hours ago

San Diego churns out 180 rushing yards against the Cardinals, including its first 100-yard rusher since 2008.

SAN DIEGO – A quarter of the way through the season, the Chargers have shown they are capable of going after opponents with a viable running game.
    The lead man in the ground-game renaissance? Today that was Mike Tolbert.
    The bruising 5-foot-9, 243-pound back became the first Chargers back to gain 100 yards in 20 regular-season games. Darren Sproles, the last player to break the century mark, rushed for 115 yards against Denver in the 2008 season finale.
    “It’s a special feeling. I didn’t know until I got in the locker room after the game and my running backs coach came up to me (and told me),” Tolbert said. “If I would’ve known I would’ve kept the ball.
    “My line did a great job of opening up holes and Jacob (Hester) did a great job at fullback. It was easier than it looked.”
    The Chargers, protecting a multiple-score lead, hammered to 180 rushing yards. Tolbert and Ryan Mathews combined for 155 yards on more than six yards per carry.
    “It shows what we’re capable of,” right tackle Jeromy Clary said. “We were able to execute at a high level which we need to do. We need to figure out a way to do it on the road as well as at home and we’ll be right where we need to be.”
    Though he found Antonio Gates early and often, Philip Rivers didn’t complete a pass to a receiver until the third quarter. He didn’t have to, peppering the Cardinals defense with short flicks to Tolbert, Mathews and Hester. The three combined to make six catches for 56 yards.
    But Tolbert, the leading tackler on special teams last season, made two assists Sunday and celebrated them as much as his five-yard touchdown.
    “I made this team paying special teams and I’m going to go out and make plays on special teams,” Tolbert said.

SACK PARTY: The defensive front seven triggered many rounds of analogies and hyperbole in the locker room and the press box Sunday.
    Nine sacks and three turnovers by the Chargers defense set off a frenzy. Shaun Phillips, as responsible as anyone, sacked Derek Anderson and Max Hall four times and returned an interception 31 yards for a touchdown.
    “SP just got loose. It was like he was a robot out there. Unconscious and just going crazy,” said Travis Johnson, who recorded a sack of his own. “We were feeding off him, really. He was making big plays and we just wanted to join in on the party.”
    The Cardinals, missing two of its receivers, got the ball to Larry Fitzgerald early. The Pro Bowler made five of his seven catches in the first quarter. But the initial drive ended as Steve Gregory picked off a pass intended for Fitzgerald up the seam.
    “Eric (Weddle) got a good jam on him and I got a good break on the ball,” Gregory said. “I saw it coming, my eyes lit up and I went up and caught it.”
    Anderson gave way to Hall late in the first half, and without a significant ground game (Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower ran for 43 yards on 12 carries), the Chargers constantly put Arizona in unenviable down-and-distance situations.
    “That’s what a good defense needs to do,” Gregory said. “We need to put them into situations they don’t want to be in and I think we did that a lot today.”
    Kevin Burnett, who after the game acted as if questions about the pass rush were sensationalized, said the defense just did its job. But Burnett himself finished with eight tackles, two sacks, a pass deflection and a forced fumble.
    “Everybody did their job. Nobody tried to do more than what they were supposed to do and then things came open,” Johnson said. “Ron Rivera just had a nice game plan for us.”

TEAMS COMES THROUGH: After allowing three return touchdowns through Week 3, the Chargers special teams units held LaRod Stephens-Howling to 17.0 yards per kickoff return. Mike Scifres earned a net of 48 yards on his lone punt.
    Quinton Teal, signed this week by the Chargers, played a role in the improvement, leading San Diego with three special teams tackles.
    “My thing is, hurry up and run to the guy before he turns around, because once he’s turned around and I’m right there on him, there’s nothing he can do,” Teal said.
    “My whole motto is, if I can’t make the tackle, I’m going to disrupt in some kind of way. I’m getting to the ball.”

FIRST FOR MATHEWS: As if Chargers fans needed anything else to celebrate on a dominating Sunday afternoon at Qualcomm Stadium.
    A sack-strip by Kevin Burnett set San Diego up with a first-and-10 on the Cardinals 15-yard line.
    On the next play, Ryan Mathews took a sweep right and sprinted into the end zone, colliding with the right pylon for the first touchdown of his NFL career.
    Mathews didn’t unleash an extravagant celebration, instead sweating the call as he nearly went out of bounds.
    “I thought I stepped out. I was looking at the ref, I was just like, ‘Please put your hands up,’” Mathews said.

STREAK STARTS AGAIN: A third-quarter Nate Kaeding 38-yard field goal skirted almost directly above the upright for his first regular-season miss in months.
    It ended a streak of 22 consecutive made field goals during the regular season. He began another before the quarter ended, planting a 48-yarder through the uprights and made one from 47 yards in the fourth.
    Kaeding now is 36-of-40 during the regular season since Week 1 last year.

ATTENDANCE: 62,189.

GAME WEATHER: Sunny, 72 degrees.

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Good job at talent evaluation by our scouts. I'm glad we drafted, I mean grabbed from Free Agency, I mean ALREADY HAD HIM ON THE TEAM WHEN WE DRAFTED A 1st round RB. :p

I like the RM draft, but you cant say we have the best talent evaluators in the league when our backup RB is doing bigger things than our trade up 1st round gonna fill LT shoes rookie.

Lovin Tolbert and his nasty nasty! Get em Three5!!

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I agree that our talent evaluators suck because RM had a high ankle sprain in his 2nd career game and consequently had his touches limited.

I also agree that we shouldn't credit our talent evaluators for signing Tolbert in the first place.

4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Are those the only reasons Tolbert looks better? Injury or no injury Three5 is playing much better.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    No. He also looks better because he's apparently a very good running back.

But, as I agreed earlier, we shouldn't credit our talent evaluators for signing Tolbert off the scrap heap in the first place because doing so would hurt our argument that the talent evaluators suck.

And since having 2 good running backs is a crappy predicament to be in we should be angry that they drafted Mathews even though Tolbert magically landed in their laps.

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    You need help connecting dots sometimes.... I'll help.

Talent evaluators that signed this guy to be a FB, not a RB, so no, no credit there. Not to mention, lets give the RB coaches some props for "grooming" the kid into the runner he is today. I was speaking strictly from a year to year standpoint. Someone in Charger park had to know this kid was emerging? didnt they?

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Why do I need help? I was agreeing with you!

I especially like your angle of looking at it from a year to year standpoint, that way we can ignore any counter-arguments that points out other talented players the team has that weren't signed this year. Excellent strategy.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Another undrafted FA find by AJ. Suck it AJ haters.

I don't give a damn what position he was signed to play at, he proved he should be on the field as a RB, and now he's playing RB at a high level. For us, not someone else, because AJ saw talent in him.

Leave it to the haters to try to find a way to bash AJ when they should be bowing before his greatness.

I have no problem w/ Tolbert continuing to start and bring RM off the bench. This should limit the ineffectiveness of Sproles as well.

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    WOW. This has so much to talk about. I'll stay on point though.

You want me to bow to AJ when he didnt even want to play this kid at RB and did everything they could to not give him a shot at the starting RB position. Lets see, They released LT (that should give 35 an opening) nope, in comes Sproles. (Sproles cant handle the load as an everydown back (that should give 35 an opening) nope, draft a 1st round RB. The 1st round RB fumbles and gets injured (that should give 35 an opening) nope, play Sproles more. Sproles is looking like crap, RM is out injured.... Ok, lets finally give Tolbert the ball since we dont have anyone else. Yeah, I'll bow to that greatness.

And before you guys talk **** and trash this post, ITS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    So, there, RTL!

AJ made himself the head coach and refused to play Tolbert until he was forced to.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LEU

AJ = Finds the talent
    Norv = utilizes that talent

Try to keep up.

12. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Did I say that? Or did I contend that AJ had no idea the athlete Tolbert is or would be. I simply asked... did anyone at Charger park know this kid was emerging and had it in him? To you guys, AJ did all along and thats why he grabbed him from the scrap pile, but then drafted a 1st round RB.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm confused now.

How else is AJ going to be directly responsible for not utilizing Tolbert if he's not the head coach?

14. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I get it, instead of posting pics your just going to act like a dumbass. Moving on.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You didn't answer the question.

16. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm done debating with someone who purposely acts like a dumbass, jumps to conclusion, fabricates reality and censors someone so much you want them to change their avatar. Even I, looking for debate, have my limits. Your done.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You still haven't answered the question.

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not such a child that I will put you on ignore and then post about it, but you and I are done debating. I have no reason to answer anything you ask other than to be a dumbass right back. Have a good day.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm still waiting for an answer.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Did LEU just mention that he wont debate with himslef?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I guess that makes him a selfdebater. It just sounds so wrong...

Pointy

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I like the cut of Teals Jib!

This guy sounds exactly like the type of guy the Chargers need to take ownership of the Special teams ala Kassim Osgood when he was here.

Go Teal...if the Chargers do really well this year than I'm sure you will deserve alot of the credit if you keep our ST intact!

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The only one acting like a dumbass is you by not answering his question.

24. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I was the one who for over 2 years have been posting about starting Tolbert at tailback and using him on sweep plays.

25. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Look at my post last year in chargers.com site discussing this.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    can I have your autograph

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Are you talking about Tolbert or Sproles here?

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    with a Masters Degree?

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    he just likes typing, he might as well be talking to himself

30. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    No but you could tell him "good job", "good insight", "sorry for the bashing you've taken the past 2 years". Something positive. There is no reason to bash this guy at all. Is this how people are to be received here? Are you the standard for a friendly discussion board? Lets hope not.