1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tolbert seeks multiple roles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 5 hours ago

7-31-2010

Mike Tolbert relishes every moment on the field. His unique blend of power and quickness make him versatile and valuable, but he’s busting his tail to make sure he keeps his spot.

SAN DIEGO – Bulk counteracts speed at some point.
    The heaviest player likely is not the best in a 40-yard dash.
    But it’s a potent mix when quickness interacts with muscle.
    Take Mike Tolbert[​IMG], for example. The 5-foot-9, 243-pound athlete managed 4.9 yards per carry and 12.1 yards per reception during his first two NFL seasons, exceptional numbers for a fullback.
    But it’s troubling to define him as such. He rushed for almost seven yards a carry as Coastal Carolina’s primary tailback in 2007. Bridge back to his high school days in Douglasville, Ga., and you’ll find a physical force that never came off the field.
    He’s since dropped defense, but his reckless abandon on special teams makes him a three-position player.
    “I love it,” Tolbert said. “I would play defense if they wanted me to.”
    He spent the first two full days of training camp as the team’s primary running back, getting several carries during team periods and catching the ball out of the backfield.

“He’s exclusively a tailback right now,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Obviously that will change when Ryan (Mathews) gets here.
    “(Tolbert) keeps his shoulder level low. He’s got good running instincts. We kind of made him a fullback and he’s done a great job with it, but we’re going to give him the opportunity to carry the ball a little bit.”
    His size and downhill style add a dimension to the offense with several different types of backs. Tolbert feels his versatility gives him credibility with his teammates and coaches but doesn’t have to tote the football to be happy.
    “Each position is different on its own and that makes my job a little harder, but I’m always up for the challenge,” he said. “Tailback is more running and seeing where you’re going. Fullback is just pounding at times. Special teams is always looking out for your side, keeping your eyes open. The three positions are definitely different, but I wouldn’t say it’s too much to handle.”
    He punctuated that remark minutes earlier. First he sprinted downfield during a special teams drill, pausing for a moment to laugh with one of the coaches on the sideline. Then he scuttled to a team period, where he snatched the first handoff and launched up the middle. As the linemen moved to an adjacent field, he lined up wide during 7-on-7s and caught a pass.
    “It’s a good sign that they have faith in me to take over when (Mathews) is not here, but hopefully we can get him signed soon so he can get this good work and I can get back to doing what I do, acting crazy on special teams and playing fullback, tailback, everything,” Tolbert said.
    He likely will not get as many handoffs with the first offense by the end of camp as he’s enjoying now, but he doesn’t mind. He can rest assured that Turner has voiced confidence in him, but he sees training camp as an opportunity to retain his responsibilities.
    “Just like when I was a rookie, there’s rookies here coming to take people’s jobs,” Tolbert said. “That was my mentality when I was here. I know somebody’s going after my job, whether it’s fullback, tailback or special teams. I’m going to go hard every play just like they are so I can prove to them that you’re not going to take my job without a fight.
    “So I’m out here working just as hard as everybody else.”

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    This doesn't bode well for Hester's future with the Bolt's.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good :yes:

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    yea go tolbert i watched him play at coastal carolina, boot hester *** out

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He was running w/ the 1st team Friday @ tailback. :tup:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    San Diego is obtaining a nice collection of Carolina football player's, I'm loving it.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Tolbert could be used as a good counterweight to Mathews and Sproles in that with all three you get the best mix of skills. Tolbert is your short yardage sledgehammer, Sproles your speedy pass catcher and 3rd down back and Mathews is the jack of all trades. The best teams can have those good mix of players at running back. And it means hEster is now entrenched at FB for better or for worse

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    go, Yogi. go !

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just a hypothetical .....

Will Charger Nation come completely unglued if Tolbert out-rushes Mathews this year? :lol:

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    That would be tight imo.

Love to hear he is still driven to do the best of anyone on the roster at what he does. I have to also agree as I was reading through the thought what about Hester? crept in.

I jus posted this in another thread had some tolbert news was nice to hear.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE

FB Mike Tolbert is blowing coaches away with his ability to also play tailback and catch the ball. At 5-9, 243 pounds, Tolbert is a bowling-ball lead blocker who has made plays when he's received touches. The third-year pro averaged 5.9 yards on 25 carries last season, but Turner said Tolbert's role could expand some because of his big-play potential that accompanies a punishing style of play. With rookie Ryan Mathews out, Tolbert worked his way into the tailback rotation with Darren Sproles, and if not for Tolbert's obvious size advantage, it wasn't always easy to tell them apart with the ball in their hands during Saturday's non-contact workouts. Tolbert was held out of the first day of contact drills with a minor, undisclosed injury.

Go get em Pinball!!

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Shawnbrey is in the mix, too. Defenses won't know whether to s*&t or go blind.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well thought id check the RapidReports, and saw this ;/

3:07 pm FB Mike Tolbert has missed two practices with a minor strained hamstring and is day to day. “I expect him back soon,” coach Norv Turner said.
    12:43 pm FB Mike Tolbert is not participating in the morning practice. He also missed practice yesterday evening. No reason was given at this time.

I hope that this is the major extent of our camp/pseason woes.