1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tom Nalen admits trying to blow out Igor Olshansky’s knee

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, May 24, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Tom Nalen admits trying to blow out Igor Olshansky’s knee

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    Former Denver center Tom Nalen made a surprising confession during a press conference to introduce him as the next member of the Broncos’ Ring of Fame: Nalen said that in 2006, he attempted to injure Chargers defensive lineman Igor Olshansky.

On the play in question, the Broncos were lining up to spike the ball and stop the clock, and players on both teams just stood up. But Nalen dove into Olshansky’s knee. That infuriated Olshansky, who threw two punches at Nalen and was ejected from the game.Nalen was fined $25,000 for the cheap shot, while Olshansky was fined $10,000 for retaliating.

At the time, Nalen wouldn’t talk publicly about the play, as the Broncos’ offensive line always refused to talk to the media. But on Friday Nalen admitted that he wanted to hurt Olshansky, justifying it because Olshansky had grabbed his facemask on the previous play.

“I wouldn’t consider myself a dirty player,” Nalen said. “I know people will bring up the Igor Olshansky play in 2006, but if people would look at the play before that and realize why I did what I did — and even on that play I missed the cut — so you know definitely, I wanted to blow his knee out on that play because of what happened the play before. But that, you know, is that dirty? I don’t know. It’s revenge, kind of, so.”

Does Nalen really need to ask whether trying to blow out an opposing player’s knee is dirty? If he does, I’ll answer for him: Yes, it was a dirty play. The Broncos’ offensive linemen were often accused of playing dirty during Nalen’s time with the team, and there’s no justification for trying to blow out another player’s knee. No matter what Olshansky did, Nalen was in the wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mits-trying-to-blow-out-igor-olshanskys-knee/

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    I'm shock to hear this....... at the time, the play looked purely accidental. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Tried but failed to injury Olshansky.

Tried but succeeded on taking out Jamal Williams' ankle.

Jeff Fisher's Titans were also dirty.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +238
    Whatever happen to Igor? Seems like he vanished after that '06 season.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Pretty classy response from Igor:

Olshansky said he remembers the play and has forgiven Nalen.

"He's a Hall of Famer and I've pretty much forgotten about it," said Olshansky, who still lives in Dallas. "It was a big deal at the time, but thank God it worked out for everybody. I wouldn't do something like that. For him to do it, it's something he's got to live with."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb.../igor-olshansky-responds-to-tom-nalens-claims

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,179
    I met Igor in his rookie season here, and he was drinking buddies with my old boss. Nice kid.
    Nalen=Scumbag Dirty Player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    lol, Nalen had so many plays where when you were watching you were going WTF, is he trying to hurt him? Dude was the definition of a "dirty player". Sadly his actions rubbed off on the rest of the OLine as much were considered at the time "dirty players".