1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Telesco weeps, and cuts Donald Brown

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 3, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    @UTgehlken: Chargers have released RB Donald Brown, creating space for OL Michael Ola, team announced. Brown had $3M salary in 2015.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Gee, that should make at least 3 or 4 members on this site very happy...

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Agree. Chainlicker will have one less thing to whine about.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    I think you underestimate Donald's "fanbase" ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    That "fan base" precludes TT who will probably sign him back on when (IF) the OL attrition phase subsides. The euphoria and jubilations may be short lived ;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    It is too late. The damage has already been done. This move needed to happen after the team kept Mathews and before Telesco wasted 3 draft picks to get Gordon, a player we should have never needed to draft.

I am glad Telesco is finally getting some heat for his idiocy because it has been long overdue. The guy has cost us 8 draft picks and Mathews and it has all been very likely for nothing.

Here is what we reasonably could have had based upon our needs and Telesco's approach with the extra picks except for taking Nick Williams instead of Sorenson (an obvious waste of a pick at the time it was made). This includes no Lissemore trade, no trade ups, re-signing Franklin in 2013 for one year and re-signing Mathews to a long term contract. Alternate players (in case the originally drafted player would have been taken) are in parenthesis and extra picks that we would have had absent a trade up are underlined (which includes the picks that teams traded back for with our picks). There are no crazy substitutions based upon hindsight (like Jamie Collis instead of Te'o). All of the added/alternate players were well known commodities at the time they were drafted.

2013: D.J. Fluker, M. Te'o (Jonathan Bostic), K. Allen, Gerald Hodges, S. Williams, Latavius Murray, T. Williams (Cornelius Washington), Nick Williams.

2014: J. Verrett, J. Attaochu (Morgan Moses), C. Watt (bleck), Aaron Lynch, R. Carrethers, Antone Exum, M. Grice, T. Reese.

2015: M.Gordon (Bud Dupree), D. Perryman, Carl Davis, C. Mager (Josh Shaw), K. Emanuel, D. Philon, Corey Robinson.

2016: The team would still have its 5th round pick.

The extra players are Gerald Hodges (ILB), Latavius Murray (RB), Nick Williams (3-4 DE), Aaron Lynch (OLB), Antone Exum (CB/S), Carl Davis (NT/3-4 DE), Corey Robinson (OT), next year's 5th round pick and Ryan Mathews. That likely would have been 5 starters and 3 solid reserves.

By having these extra players, we could have been more aggressive in free agency because we would have had fewer holes to fill. Our roster would have and should have been much stronger than it currently is, making it much more capable of withstanding injuries.

In every case, there were good alternatives to trading up even if the player traded up for had been lost, the chances for which were almost nil in the cases of Te'o and Gordon and slight in the case of Attaochu.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    ^ OMG... #giveitarestalready

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    About freaking time!
    I do find it poetic however, that Donald Brown is released the day before we play a team called the Browns.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I just saw the news... Had to jump online to post after doing my happy dance :D:):D:abq1::abq2::abq1:

10. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Looks like you were wrong

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I know...should have remembered that he/she/it is ALWAYS whining about something.

12. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Reads a Chaincrusher post, feels the need to remind people that hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does anyone else look at posts like Chaincrusher's and hear the teacher from Charlie Brown in their head?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    IMG_2444.JPG

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I figured that they would have cut him tomorrow to free up a roster spot for Gates. I'm not so sure that D. Brown is back with the bolts by next week.

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Nope. I could show you a draft by hindsight in which the players drafted would be much, much better than the ones I indicated in my post. In my discussion, I included the stupid Telesco missed picks (Watt, Grice, Reese, et cetera).

Te'o was likely to get to us at #45 and there were 4 similarly rated ILBs taken within 12 picks anyway. There was absolutely zero need to trade up. With only Mathews and an unproven Woodhead we clearly needed a big RB and Latavius Murray goes about 6'2" and about 230 pounds and runs in the 4.3s. He was definitely known back then.

Hodges is better than Te'o and had better measurables pre-draft than Te'o--again, a pretty obvious value call in round 4 once Shamarko Thomas went off the board.

And we knew on day 1 that the Sorenson pick was stupid as reserve QBs are a dime a dozen and the chances of a 7th round pick taking over for Rivers in a meaningful way are virtually nil. We dumped all kinds of front 7 players in the offseason leading into 2013. The need was there in a big way and Nick Williams had very good measurables for a prospective 3-4 DE.

In 2014, I really wanted Attaochu, but he is the player that proves the rule against trade ups because that looked like a trade up that might have made sense (if there is such a thing) and yet it still hasn't worked out for us as much as we would have hoped. That's why you don't do it. The draft is way too much of an inexact science.

And, what actually happened also shows additional reasons why you don't trade up--in two of the years, our pick was successfully used to trade back for an extra pick. Of course, Telesco couldn't have known the specific trade back possibility when he traded up, but he did know that by taking a pick off the board, he loses the possibility of a trade back with that pick because we no longer have it.

And my sub for Attaohcu (Morgan Moses) actually struggled as a rookie, yielding 4 sacks in limited play, but Fluker at OG was always a possibility and we needed a swing OT anyway all along. That pick always would have made sense as an alternative to Attaochu.

Naturally, it is nearly impossible for my 2015 added players to have been derived from hindsight. Carl Davis was on the board when we picked in round 3 and was the completely obvious choice. I criticized Telesco for not keeping Mathews before the draft. From the moment the trade back was made, I have been all over Telesco for it. There has been zero hindsight involved in that.

Beyond that, of course, is the fact that the drafts that I showed represent just one of a myriad of possibilities. Even if we missed with as many as 2 or 3 of those picks that we should have had, we would still have ended up with at least half a dozen extra valuable players and a GM kills his roster when he fails to get those players for his team.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    TLDNR

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    TL;DNR ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Puncta-ay-sun Notcy!

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    TL;DR

:D

• Like Like x 1
  21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Bless their hearts but older generation tries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Not being funny, but you're talking about Murray like everyone knew he was going to be what he is now. If that were true, then why did every single team in the league pass on him multiple times? If he was definitely known like you claim, he wouldn't have been a 6th rounder.

There aren't many sure things in the later rounds, if there were, they would go earlier, or we'd have the deepest draft in history.

I absolutely agree about trading up for Te'o, but chalk that one up to him getting over anxious in his first draft. I can;t fault him for trading up to get Attaochou though, he was the last pass rusher available at that point, so he came up to get his guy, and I think the jury is out on if he'll be good yet, sample size is too small so far IMO

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  24. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    dafuq... this is a joke right?!?

25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    image.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The joke is on us....

‏@Concudan 11s12 seconds ago
    #Chargers and as one the Citizenry of Boltsville say 'DAPHUQUE?' as D Brown returns....

27. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    We do realized our OLine's health is still questionable, we have 2 healthy Wrs and 2 healthy Corners and the elephant in the room that Donald Brown provide -5% help towards this team. Does he have a no cut clause in his contract?!? And even if we do cut his @ss again on Saturday for Gates, what the hell reason would it be for resigning him... Telesco.. dont let me go Chaincrusher on you....

28. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Isn't it obvious? Donald Brown IS Tom Telesco. We have to dig deeper. #Chargeception

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    C'mon people!

D Brown will be just as good at CB, OL, and WR as he is at RB!

Keep the faith!

30. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    • Agree Agree x 2