1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson’s preseason play helps others

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson believes his presence on the field during the preseason will not only help him but also his offensive linemen and fullback.

On a simple 1st-and-10 play in the first quarter of the Chargers’ preseason opener, fullback Jacob Hester[​IMG] made his read but hesitated for a brief moment before making his block.

LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG], trailing him, saw the same thing Hester did and shot through the hole, but the split second it took for Hester and LT to make their decisions allowed a backside linebacker to chase the play down and drop Tomlinson for a six-yard gain.

“It could have easily been 40,” Hester said Monday. “Next time we know what to expect. It’s not necessarily anyone’s fault, but now that we know the timing of that play, it’ll be a little bit quicker and maybe that guy from the backside can’t get there.”

Tomlinson feels like he’ll greatly benefit from playing in the preseason for the first time in four seasons, and he and Head Coach Norv Turner also believe those around LT can gain a lot from his presence on the field.

“It’s good for our team to have those guys in there all together,” Turner said. “I think one of the things that shows up is the timing. It’s not LT’s timing; it’s the timing with the offensive line and the plays that we run and fitting in the right areas.”

Following the six-yard run Hester spoke of, he and Tomlinson convened on the sideline. They were on the same page mentally, and they believe the next time a similar situation comes up, they’ll execute it correctly physically. It’s the little things that Hester, Tomlinson and Turner believe can be invaluable once the regular season arrives.

“If he plays four plays and two things come up that we can learn from, those two things could be important come September,” Hester said. “It’s a lot different when we’re out there in practice when you can’t cut block and you can’t do as many things. I think it’s important.”

The Chargers return four of their five starters on the offensive line from last season, but even with the familiarity, there’s always a need to get in synch again with one another on the field, and Tomlinson and company are getting that right now.

“Sometimes I can be patient on certain plays and let them know what I’m reading and what I’m thinking,” Tomlinson said. “We both can obviously benefit from it. I think it definitely helps us going into the season to go ahead and get this done so hopefully we start a little bit faster in the run game.”

Turner said Monday that Tomlinson will play Saturday in the Chargers’ preseason contest at Arizona, and he expects his workload to be similar to the four-carry, one-reception outing LT had against the Seahawks. The five-time Pro Bowler is fine with that amount, possibly even more.

“I said this past game I was just starting to get into a rhythm when I left the game,” Tomlinson said. “Hopefully I can get into that rhythm before Norv pulls me out.”

At his Monday press conference, Tomlinson said that he physically felt great, so great that he was able to hit the links Sunday, a day after getting pushed around a little bit on the gridiron.

“I know I didn’t get a lot of time out there, but I kind of measure myself on how I felt after the game,” Tomlinson said. “I went and played golf the next day. That kind of tells you how I felt.”
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

When it comes to leading through the hole, Hester will never be LoNeal. I wish him well, but we gave up way too much for what he brings to the field.

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    You're right, he'll never be a LoNeal. Hester can catch and run with the ball. That's some Lo didn't do very well, I'll take the trade off.:tup: :icon_party:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

We have other guys who can catch & run. I'd take Lo's ability to open up holes for LT back in a second.

Different strokes for different folks. :icon_toast:
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006

We'll see how LoNeal does this season, but he is showing signs of age. I think Hester's greater speed and quickness will be an advantage over Neal in the long run. Being able to throw to Hester will keep defenses off balance.