1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson climbs to 8th on career rushing list

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CLEVELAND -- LaDainian Tomlinson walked back into San Diego's locker room to meet the special guest who wanted to offer congratulations.
    Jim Brown was waiting for him. "Yeah, a perfect day," Tomlinson said as he headed toward the Chargers' team bus. "I've thought a long time about this day. If I was going to pass Jim, I wanted to do it here in Cleveland, and I wanted to talk to him in the locker room after the game."

Tomlinson stiff-armed Cleveland's Hall of Famer out of eighth place on the career rushing list and scored his 150th career TD on a 4-yard run as the Chargers won their seventh straight and 15th in a row in December, beating the Browns 30-23 on Sunday. In moving past Brown, Tomlinson fulfilled a childhood dream that began with games of touch football in Texas. "As a kid playing football in the yard, I looked up to all the great running backs," Tomlinson said. "But there were a lot of days I was Jim Brown out there on the football field. To do it here in Cleveland is extra special. I can't even tell you what it means because it seems like it was supposed to happen here in Cleveland." After Tomlinson passed Brown on an 11-yard burst up the middle in the fourth quarter, San Diego's running back pointed toward the 73-year-old who was sitting in a luxury suite. He patted his heart and offered a salute. "He's a class guy," Brown said. "We love each other. I came back here because I wanted to show my respect. My position in history doesn't matter to me, but the respect that I get and the respect I give is highly important. I could never do what a Barry Sanders or a Walter Payton or a Hugh McElhenny could do. They were totally different than me. I would break my legs trying to move like Barry Sanders."

Tomlinson's TD with 5:58 left in the third put the Chargers up by 20, and placed the running back in elite company among NFL greats. Tomlinson reached 150 TDs faster than any player in league history, hitting the milestone in his 137th game. Emmitt Smith needed 160 games to reach 150 and Jerry Rice didn't score his 150th until his 167th. "I've always really enjoyed scoring touchdowns more than anything," Tomlinson said. "Part of the reason is that's how you win the game -- scoring touchdowns. I've always said that if I'm scoring touchdowns, then I think we're winning. So that's pretty special." So, which was better, No. 150 or surpassing Brown? "Passing Jim Brown. He transcended generations," Tomlinson said. "I can remember my father talking about Jim Brown as a kid. He loved him. Everybody loved Jim Brown and rightfully so. Even today when you talk about the great running backs, the majority of people will say Jim Brown is the best ever." Tomlinson finished with 64 yards on 20 carries and has 12,321 yards. Tony Dorsett (12,739) is seventh all-time.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Congrats, LT! :tup:

3. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    This is huge. Really huge. Congratulations to LaDainian!

He's a Walter and an Emmitt now.

And Jim Brown is too cool.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Congratulation to Mr. LT. but I want my old LT back I want to see dudes grasping air again.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    12321 yards, you can even write it backwars!

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Leave it to you ..... :icon_tease: :lol:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think we all owe it to LT to be there when he goes into Canton.

I'm there dude.

8. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He has an outside chance of catching Dorsett, and if he did he'd get to 1,000...he will extend his TD streak, but likely not his 1000 streak.

I really hope he comes back next year, he doesn't need to be LT of 2001-2007 for us to win Lombardi's.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm a bit more impressed by him being the fastest player to reach 150 TDs. That really says a lot about just how much LT has contributed to this team and the franchise.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Is that anything like the word racecar, the word spells the same thing backwards as forwards?