1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson explains why he chose Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    I will tell you I've come here to win a championship, and I believe this team has the ability to do it.
    -- LaDainian Tomlinson --

ESPN.com news services
    March 16, 2010

NEW YORK -- LaDainian Tomlinson wants to cap his career with a Super Bowl ring. He believes the New York Jets can help him deliver on that dream.
    "There would be no greater place than to bring a championship to the city of New York," Tomlinson said during a conference call Tuesday.
    The eighth-leading rusher in NFL history chose New York over Minnesota, signing a two-year deal worth about $5.2 million on Sunday with the Jets after visiting both teams last week.
    "It was pretty tough, but when it comes down to it, you've got to go with your gut feeling, no matter what," Tomlinson said. "You've just got to go with a feel, and that's what I did."
    Tomlinson, cut last month after nine seasons in San Diego and a career-low 730 yards rushing, said playing in a familiar offensive scheme under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and living in New York played major roles in his decision.
    "I will tell you I've come here to win a championship, and I believe this team has the ability to do it," Tomlinson said.
    That should immediately endear him to Jets fans, who have been waiting to celebrate a title since Joe Namath delivered on his guarantee in 1969. New York came within a win of a Super Bowl appearance last season, beating Tomlinson and the Chargers along the way.
    Tomlinson, who turns 31 in June, acknowledged he no longer has the "long" speed he once had when he was one of the league's most dynamic players. But he insists he's in great shape, is feeling healthy and still has "very good speed."
    "I have to prove to people where I am at this point in my career that I can still play this game, and I'm very confident I can," said Tomlinson, who has 12,490 career yards rushing.
    Tomlinson believes he'll be able to contribute more with New York than if he chose to back up Adrian Peterson in Minnesota, something general manager Mike Tannenbaum confirmed.
    "We expect him to play a lot," Tannenbaum said. "We expect him to touch the ball a lot."
    Tomlinson will report to the team when it begins its offseason program next Monday. He insists he's OK with a complementary role -- he's expected to back up Shonn Greene, who made Thomas Jones expendable -- after being a longtime focal point of the Chargers' offense.
    "I have no ego," Tomlinson said. "At this point, it's all about having the opportunity to win a championship. ... The Jets made it to the AFC Championship without me. How can I come in here and demand to be a starter? They were very good without me. I just want to be able to have a role on this team and contribute."
    Fullback Tony Richardson agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Jets, keeping one of the league's best lead blockers in the backfield for Tomlinson.
    ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter first reported the deal.
    Richardson is a three-time Pro Bowl selection who helped Priest Holmes to three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons in Kansas City from 2001-03, and Larry Johnson in 2005. He did it again the following season in Minnesota with Chester Taylor, and was instrumental in Adrian Peterson rushing for 1,341 yards as a rookie in 2007.
    Tomlinson joins a rushing offense that ranked No. 1 in the NFL last season with 172.2 yards per game. He's also reunited with Schottenheimer, who was the Chargers' quarterbacks coach from 2002-05 and runs the same type of system in which Tomlinson became one of the league's most dynamic players.
    "I'll just say this: This is my type of football," Tomlinson said.
    The Jets went after Tomlinson hard despite his least productive season and questions about whether he has much left.
    "When we looked at all the factors, we're real excited about LaDainian," Tannenbaum said. "We still think he can run the ball effectively in our system with our players."
    Tomlinson's recent decline in production could be partly attributed to the Chargers' increasing focus on the passing game with Philip Rivers and the face San Diego's offensive line was generally mediocre. San Diego ranked 31st in rushing last season.
    "It's still on me to prove that I can still play in this league," he said. "Now here we are with the Jets, a team that has a very good offensive line and there's no more excuses."
    The 2006 NFL MVP visited with the Vikings last Thursday and heard from quarterback Brett Favre, who spent the 2008 season with the Jets and is still undecided about whether he'll return for a 20th season. Tomlinson said the uncertainty of Favre's status was not a factor in his own decision.
    "I would've thought that I might get a little bit of a kind of hint of what he was thinking, but no, he didn't," Tomlinson said. "He didn't give me a clue at all what he was thinking."
    After leaving Minnesota, Tomlinson spent Friday with the Jets and had dinner with Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan and other team officials. He flew back home to San Diego on Saturday and made up his mind.
    "I couldn't see the future, but I always wanted to live in New York and have the opportunity to play on that wonderful stage," he said. "Obviously, now I get that opportunity and I'm excited about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5000522

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Traitor!! So they beat us and now he goes to them because they can win championship ha!!! At least we have owned the colts the last 4 years!

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    One answer

$

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Saw on ESPN that when Minnesota was recruiting LT, Favre told LT he had "no idea" if he was going to comeback play next season.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Get a life. If it was about the money, he could have said he would take less to stay. He left because he was tried of running into a line that can't block and running in an offense that doesn't give a rats *** about the running game

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Hey Trumpie, as much as I may agree to an extent, how much was he do to make this year with the Bolts? I know he was due a 1 million dollar roster bonus + his salary. He signed for the Jets I thought for 2.5 million this year. I would have thought he was due to get more from the Bolts. Wasn't it the Chargers that released him? If anything, uncapped year or not, I could see this being about $$$$ more on teh Bolts side then LT's. If he truly wanted to play for the Bolts he could have very easily of resigned with them afye getting cut. I doubt he looked into that as a possibility and I also don't think AJ was in any rush.

Like I said earlier, I don't think LT like taking a back seat after all these years of being the man. With the Jets, he comes in as just a player expected to contribute not be "the man".

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    $8 million base salary this year

and

$9.275 million for 2011.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So are you saying the Jets offered him the most money once he was cut or that management cut him because of money?

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I thought he was cut. Had the Bolts still wanted him all they had to do was keep him on the roster. Granted, I know he didn't want to be here but it wasn't his choice.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Both.

The Jets offered the most money (I am assuming).

The Chargers will not pay the dude the $8 mil this year obviously (to me at least it was going to be obvious) ....hell A.J. did not want to pay the $6 mil last year until Dean Spanos got involved.

So it leaves us with what LT would have gotten as a vet minimum ($1 mil per year here) or $2.5 mil. with the Jets.

This is why I say the dude sold out for $1.5 mil more to go with the Jets. Remember LT said he would not take a pay cut to play here yet he took a pay cut with the Jets.

To me this is not rocket science and the **** is obvious....to me at least. :lol:

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Total BS. This move was about money. Why did he got to Minn first? To put the squeeze on the Jets. He needed leverage and he got it from the Vikes so he could get the max. He is now about records and money.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Gotcha.

I have to also believe that he wants to feel that he is contributing to a team and it was plain as day that he wasn't really contributing here in a positive way. Not saying all of it was his fault but the dynamics of this team has changed drastically from years ago. Hell, how many times did you see him wide open in the flats and Rivers would either throw the ball away or force it down field? Times like that I can understand his frustration. He feels that he can still give something to a team and that just wasn't gonna happen here. You have to admit, with the Jets having the young QB in Dirty Sanchez, LT will get the ball alot in short dump offs. Problem is, other teams HAVE to see that coming and LT will get banged for little or no gain. Then the Boo's start in whatever they are calling their new stadium.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bullseye.

Brees did the same thing to the Dolphins and the beat goes on.

This is why teams were saying in a not so secretly fashion that once a player leaves the "blowing sunshine up their wazoos festivals" that all offers are off the table. The teams hate to be pitted against each other and use this ruse as a take it or leave it proposition everytime.

14. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    It was partly money and mostly he was shown the freakin door. he knew it and said way before it happened. he knew his game dropped off. the Jets picking him up didn't make sense to me. if it were Money, other teams would have paid plenty for him. He didn't want to leave

15. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Tomlinson left because we cut him and we cut him because we didn't want him anymore....

I don't know what some of you are cooking up in your minds....

The Chargers didn't want to renegotiate with him....he didn't want to renegotiate with us....they had already renegotiated the year before.....

What are they supposed to do? Renegotiate every year and give him a pay cut every year that he declines? Neither side wants to do that.....

16. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Bingo!!!

I also think he chose NY because of the possible endorsment money he can make there. If a ring is the most important thing to him, he would have chosen the Vikes IMO. The Jets backed into the playoffs last year by teams laying down for them. They are much farther away from a SB than the Vikes, or alot of other teams IMO. They will be lucky to make the playoffs next year, and if the do it will be a wildcard. They will not win their division.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT went for bank and got it, I'd have done the same thing. I just wouldn't have BSed my way out of town.

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Well, if you want to believe LT, it wasn't about the money. But yet again, this wouldn't be the first time he lied to the fans.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson appeared Wednesday on The Dan Patrick Show, and Tomlinson talked some more about his decision to sign with the Jets.

And here's something we haven't previously heard.

"It wasn't about money at all," Tomlinson said. "I could have taken more money in Minnesota."

He again said that New York is a "better fit" because he knows offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. "I know the offense," Tomlinson said.

Of the situation in San Diego, Tomlinson said, "It was time to move on. . . . It's Philip Rivers' team and it should be. . . . That wasn't the type of team that benefited my style."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-have-made-more-money-in-minnesota/?related=1

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Proof positive LT or Dan Patrick reads this thread. :lol:

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91

So it wasn't about the money at all...Duuuh!

I knew that! Why some people in hear had the gaul to think LT is all about money is beyond me

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I would like to know the "real" truth why he went to Minne. It wasn't rocket science to know that the Jets were a better fit. Hell, he already knew that Schotty Jr was there and knew he would know the offense. He knew the Jets had a 2nd year QB that probably isn't gonna be used to start throwing the ball all over the field. Jets are a running team and will continue to be a running team. The reason he went to Minne was to get an estimate on what hi svalue was worth. So even though he says it wasn't about the money, I believe it really was. :icon_shrug:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol:

So Minny offered maybe $5.3 for two years and the Jets offered $5.2 for 2 years plus the chance for all those New York endorsements......think man think ...... :yes:

23. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I was wrong before... I believe more and more its money. When LT said in an interview he wouldn't change his contract, it was money. If he truly wanted to stay here wouldn'd he have approched AJ and the team? yes money....

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The same reason Brees went to Miami to court the Dolphins - LEVERAGE. :yes:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is nothing wrong with LT going after the money. As a provider for his family and his new kid, he should do whatever he feels comfortable in doing to fill that prescription however; he could haved stayed here for a vet minimum contract of around $1 mil/year.

Instead LT is getting $2.5 mil per year with the Jets based on a 2 year $5.1 million deal NOT including the endorsements associated with New York.

Yeah it was about the money. It always is when it comes to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Players change teams all the time - I don't really give a rat's *** about the reason. I have favorite players, but once they're gone it's the team that I still root for. I spend my money to see a team knowing that any of it's pieces may be gone at any moment.

I'll clap for LT again when he gets into Canton. From now until then, he's another fanbase's news.

27. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I don't know how many endorsements you think LT will get considering he is not even a front line player...will have limited carrys and is nearing the end of his career anyway!

..YOU THINK

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LT is a future HOF'er so he will get his sniffs. LT will make more in his endorsements versus his base salary. :yes:

29. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I firmly beleive this is a business. thats that. Players make the absolute best of it because they love the game and get paid to do so. Tomlinson going after the money is nothing different than all the other NFL players will do, good for him. I will say I think its funny Terrell Owens and a couple other players are sitting around looking for a job.