1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson may not get a better deal elsewhere

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    February 25, 2009 5:14 PM

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

As the San Diego Chargers and longtime star running back LaDainian Tomlinson continue to talk about a restructured contract, a simple thought crossed my mind.

Would Tomlinson really be better off declining whatever the Chargers offer him and going out into the open market? Would another team really pay more than San Diego would for a running back who will be 30 in June and who has suffered injuries the past two postseasons?

It's not like Fred Taylor has been super hot (he has made two visits) since being jettisoned from Jacksonville last week. Tomlinson will be looked at like Taylor in free agency because of age.

I'd have to think Tomlinson will be worth more to San Diego than he is anywhere else. There's history there; a relationship. If Tomlinson goes on the market, there will be no emotional connection with a team like there is in San Diego, so teams may not feel the obligation to pay him like the Chargers would.

He'd just be another guy on the open market. Sure, there would be a market for Tomlinson but he likely won't get a huge contract. There are too many younger options in free agency and the draft to spend big on another team's legend.
    Tomlinson is a Charger. That's where he belongs.

Still, he will likely be cut if he doesn't agree to a restructured contract. The two sides have been talking this week and it could extend into Friday or Saturday before a final decision is made.

We don't know what exactly the Chargers' offer will be but it will be less than the $6.7-plus million Tomlinson is currently due to make this season. It may be a gamble to take whatever the Chargers' offer him without knowing what the market elsewhere will be.

But know this: The Chargers ownership wants Tomlinson, the face of the franchise, to retire with the Chargers. The team wants to make it happen. So he will likely not be disrespected with a shoddy offer.

In the end, Tomlinson may want to realize the grass will be most green right where he is.

The suspense is killing me ... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    He is not going anywhere.

The chargers are not going to disrespect him.

Sproles is not going to play for the FA tag $$$.

Everyone will be happy in the end.

LT :icon_kiss: AJ

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I hope so..

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    derrick brooks got let go today because of salary cap stuff.. LT has to think team here and give some up with the salary cap. Harrison was put in the same position.

The chargers need to improve. Its not like the pats and pittsuburgh are gonna sit on thier hands this offseason.

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    fred taylor,duece,brooks,harrison... hey LT you see a trend here?

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It is one of the saddest things with the nfl. The nfl should figure some way so teams can keep their older players that contributed so much to a team. Its a shame to see older players having to be let go because of the salary cap. But as of now thats how it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Big words coming from someone who hates him.

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Dude.... was that really necessary? Why are you intentionally trying to pick a fight? Go back to one of the other threads you guys are arguing in and keep it there PLEASE. There are plenty!

Back on topic....

Of all the vets let go for salary cap reasons, I'd imagine LT would be the #1 player to go for [if heaven forbid he be available]. I don't necessarily think he'll get a better all around deal anywhere else tho... maybe the $$ would be better but the intangibles fall short imo.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I haven't read the article yet, but I doubt LT gets what'd he'd get here, and the vets who were cut won't get what their teams offered them (Harrison). I don't know I guess it must be a pride thing when you opt to take less money and play elsewhere instead of restructuring your contract.

Must be an agent thing, they probably get paid more if they get a new deal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No. Just speaking the truth. That's the only way I know!

Coming from a poster who says things like "LT goes crying to Marty," "LT throws a 'woe is me' party for himself," and is "cancerous to the team"... I think it's very appropriate.

Hell. I gave Norv credit for ONE game ave we all saw where that got.

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He might not get a better deal financially, but he will get a better deal from maybe other teams in that he will actually get some respect from the FO, and actually enjoy going to work

There will be much better offers than AJ, and LT/Condon know that and will react accordingly

12. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I agree with you--I don't get the sense that LT thinks too highly of Norval, either.

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

its a business now.

You cheer a Number, not a name.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    when he signed that contract, he was the highest paid running back in the league. Get off the respect crap!

If being paid the highest paid running back in the WHOLE LEAGUE, is not respect, then what is?

15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Just be glad that there IS a salary cap. I would have nothing to do with the NFL if it was allowed to let teams like Dallas, N.E. Wash, the Giants, etc just gobble up players like the Yankees. Reminds me of the old college days before scholarships were limited. Teams like Oklahoma could give as many free passes as they wanted and carry 200 players if so desired.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    You are a fuking moron.

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    And that goes both ways, when LT signed that deal, we were the laughing stock of the league and he chose to stay here and rebuild this team, which he has, and considering the production, i think we had him at a bargain

But heres where the problem lies, the second LT struggles, they want to cut him? Wheres the respect? How about giving the guy credit for still having a good season even with a crap OL, no FB and him playing hurt the entire season.

LT is not on his way down just yet, and the only people who dont see that are AJ and all his blind ball sucking followers

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Honesty is all I'm about. I've backed up EVERYTHING I've ever said.

I still ask you to provide ANYTHING about LT running off crying to Marty!!!
    ANYTHING about LT saying "he doesn't know if he will be here" in mid season.
    YOU SAID IT!!! NOW SHOW IT!!!

BOTTOM LINE... You heard it through the grape vine and bought it like a whino buying cheap booze!!!! :yes:

It probably started through Raider fans!!! :lol:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If LT goes for the dough, we know where his heart is at. Enough said.

20. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Possibly, but I also don't think he likes playing for Norval. Pay can be used as an excuse for opting out.'

Besides, AJ has mismanaged the salary cap with some pretty questionable long term contracts for players like Wilhelm, Hart, and possibly Tucker and Castillo. I say possibly as I think the Chargers can invest one more year in those guys to determine whether they'll cut it. On the otherhand, Wilhelm and Hart don't cut it. Time to cut losses.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah, I guess not being the center of attention hurt's him. :tdown:

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Great point. Everyone keeps saying that Football is a business. Yeah it is a business... and it's clients are the f-ing fans.

And the fans don't want to see the face of the franchise leave just because of money. They love their team and part of the team's identity are these franchise players. But the franchise tag doesn't give the teams the flexibility to keep these iconic players on the backend of their careers.

IMO there should be a more flexible monitary system to keep players who have been with a team more than X number of years.

We're the fans. We're paying the bills. They should be catering to us rather than just a salary cap #.

23. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah, but the Chargers have lost that physicality that allowed them to dominate. LT has commented that the character of the team has changed under Norval. I agree w/ LT and I don't think that character change is for the better. I'm not a Marty fan--Marty teams crumple and play stupid under pressure. But, that doesn't mean that Norval is the answer either. If the Bolts are going to win the Superbowl, they're going to have to get alot tougher.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AWESOME THREAD!!! :tup:
    I'd rep you if I could.

All LT haters need to read this!!!

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Regression hurts EVERYBODY!!! :icon_evil:

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    To a degree do I agree. However what toughness exactly have they lost? I mean we lost a lot with Merriman being out but not much toughness is gone. Defense was getting back with Rivera in charge and the offense......yes has changed and that is due to being more pass orientated and I'm sure that's why LT made the comment he did.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LIAR

28. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We just need Merriman back on the juice! :abq1::abq2:

29. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Take that 14-2 season for instance. The o-line play was so dominating that opposing defenses didn't touch LT or Turner until they were 3-4 yards downfield. That was even true in that playoff loss to the Pats where we lost due to poor playcalling and bone headed players (and head coach). From the defensive side of the ball, look at our games with the Colts since 2004. We drove Manning crazy in the Marty years, even when we didn't have a great pass rush in 04. Since those Marty years, Manning has had his way with our D. We've been lucky to beat Manning 2 out of 3. We sure didn't win those games by being more physical. I'll put it another way, are we as physical as the Steelers or the Titans or even the Patriots for that matter? Back then, we could have said that the Chargers were among the most physical. We can't say that now. Until we can say that about the Chargers, we can't consider them serious contenders.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Running the ball between the tackles and stopping the run. We did both by smashing the other team in the mouth. Has nothing to do with Merriman being out. Even if it did, that's even more of an indictment of how soft we are.

Remember... "You can't run! You can't run!"? Well, they can run. They can run a lot.