1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson optimistic about running game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Oct 15, 2009

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson would love for this to be the week the Chargers get their rushing offense on track.

Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] refuses to take a peak at the statistics from the first month of the season and draw a sweeping conclusion about the team’s rushing offense.
    “I always look at the journey itself rather than the race at the time,” Tomlinson said. “That’s how I approach it. Knowing that this is a long season, that’s how I stay patient and keep from getting out of character.”
    Through five weeks, the Chargers rank second in the NFL in passing offense but are 32nd in the league in rushing yards with an average of just 53.8 per game.
    An ankle injury caused Tomlinson to miss two games, leaving him with just 20 carries on the season. In his return two weeks ago in Pittsburgh, the Chargers fell behind by two touchdowns early and were forced to abandon the running game. Tomlinson believes San Diego’s lack of production in the run game has more to do with opportunity than execution.

“We weren’t able to get into a rhythm,” Tomlinson said. “The running game is all about getting into a rhythm. For us, we didn’t get a chance to do that.”
    Five times in his career, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has served as the offensive play-caller for the NFL’s rushing leader. Tomlinson accomplished the feat under Turner’s watch in 2007, Ricky Williams did so in 2002 when Turner was in Miami, and Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith led the league three times while working with Turner in Dallas.
    While most of the Chargers’ offensive success this season has come through the air, Turner still highly values the run game and wants to see his team improve on the ground.
    “We want to run the ball,” Turner said. “I can stand and say it each week. Obviously each game dictates what you’re going to do. When you get behind in a game like we were last week, obviously you’re not going to spend a lot of time running the football. Hopefully we won’t be in that situation.”
    Tomlinson said Wednesday that he’s “feeling good and ready to play some football” after the bye week. He’s physically strong and remains optimistic about what he believes the Chargers can do on the ground.
    “We haven’t had the opportunity to run it much,” Tomlinson said, “but I’m confident that when we do get a chance to run it, we will be successful in doing that.”

2. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Great. Now Norv is gonna force the ball to Mr. Fall down on first contact.

Get ready for more early 3 and outs.:icon_twisted:

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    What a contradiction by whoever wrote this article...getting into a rhythm is all about execution, isn't it?