1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson to be used in Leon Washington's old role

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 20, 2010 11:47 AM ET

[​IMG]

Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn doesn't see any mystery in how Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson will be deployed this season.

"It depends on the flow of the game," Lynn told ESPNNewYork.com. "If we're better off in our big personnel, Shonn will get more touches. If we go little, like we did last year with Leon [Washington] in our nickel package, L.T. will get more touches. It's all situational."

So Greene takes the power downs and Tomlinson works the passing formations. No surprise there. Lynn compared the duo to the Thomas Jones-Leon Washington combination last year, where touches were split evenly. Lynn says he has "two starters."

Perhaps the Jets won't hand Greene more carries until he proves he's durable. The second-year pro showed up for the offseason seven pounds overweight, and runs with a physical style.

Ultimately, the fewer touches Tomlinson earns, the better off the Jets offense will be.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    PWN

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That was what the writer had to say, not the coach. The coach said "Lynn compared the duo to the Thomas Jones-Leon Washington combination last year, where touches were split evenly. Lynn says he has "two starters.""

Way to cherry pick quotes

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Who ****ing cares? Complainian is a jet now, people need to stop brining up ever article about him like hes still a member of this team

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Word. :tup:

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Who pissed in your cheerios?

• Like Like x 1
  7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Moving to Denver! :icon_rofl:

:icon_tease:

8. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I hope you don't believe that I thought the coach said that. Come on now, I'm smarter than a 5th grader. I can see " and ".

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    That was what the poster had to say, not the coach. The coach said "Lynn compared the duo to the Thomas Jones-Leon Washington combination last year, where touches were split evenly. Lynn says he has "two starters.""

Way to cherry pick quotes

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Yes. Exactly. I thought it was hilarious that the writer was dissing Tomlinson so blatantly. I will cherry pick funny **** all day, tyvm. :icon_shrug:

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Once again you've fallen for one of my classic pranks.

12. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    once again? hahaha I did notice after another glance that I was punk'd :lol:

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    You forgot to include the Bazinga

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that's some good karma :lol:

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
  16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think he's the new resident glass half empty guy.

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    That explains his awesomeness.

19. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Jets RB Coach Misguided about Tomlinson's Role

Posted on: June 21, 2010 9:55 am

Lost in all the commotion surrounding LaDainian Tomlinson and the New York Jets is an answer to the question, With powerful second-year running back Shonn Greene clearly the starter, how will the Jets actually use their new veteran? Jets running back coach Anthony Lynn explained that, "It depends on the flow of the game. If we're better off in our big personnel, Shonn will get more touches. If we go little, like we did last year with Leon (Washington) in our nickel package, L.T. will get more touches. It's all situational."
    Wait a minute. Washington was valuable because speed and quickness made him a shifty, elusive threat. The Chargers made Tomlinson available to the Jets because the 31-year-old had lost his speed and quickness. Tomlinson no longer has the lateral agility and burst to create his own space. As a Jet, he’d make much more sense in a Thomas Jones-type role.
    Deep down, Lynn knows this. Or at least someone in the Jets organization does. That’s why the team invested a fourth-round pick in USC running back Joe McKnight. The 5’11”, 198-pounder is a classic finesse-based outside speed runner. Last year, Greene lay low as a rookie, and then burst onto the scene late. Don’t be surprised if McKnight does the same thing, only with an emergence taking place as early as October. Tomlinson doesn’t have the raw skills to be a featured weapon these days; his value is strictly in spelling Greene for 6-8 carries a game.

--Andy Benoit

20. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Jets team personnel insists on calling Tomlinson "L.T." in New York and national media reports? I find this interesting, as many still consider Lawrence Taylor THE L.T. despite his brutal criminal record.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Which role, PUP or IR?