1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson, Turner finally clear the air

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Pivotal meeting last week set up Chargers' turnaround

UNION-TRIBUNE

October 9, 2007
    It would not have mattered had they lost, because words and good intentions lose their significance in defeat.
    But even before the Chargers won big Sunday at Denver, the seeds of resurgence were sown in Chargers Park when a frustrated head coach convened a meeting last Wednesday with his frustrated star player.
    “I'm not the kind of player where I feel a coach needs to come to me to explain what's going on,” LaDainian Tomlinson said yesterday. “But sometimes it redefines a sense of understanding. I came away from that meeting saying, 'OK, he understands.' ”
    And so, even before the 41-3 victory over the Broncos, the Chargers' most influential player, who had been unable to hide his disappointment and even disgust during a 1-3 start to the season, “felt better” about the direction of the offense.
    Norv Turner yesterday preferred not to expand on the meeting, but neither did he put much effort in downplaying it.
    “I thought it was important,” he said, “or I wouldn't have done it.”
    Tomlinson liked what Turner had to say that day in their one-on-one about the running game, about how he was trying to establish balance in the offense but perhaps should have given LT the ball down by the goal line against Kansas City. Turner explained that he pretty much abandoned the run that day after two first-down rushes in the third quarter produced zero and minus-2 yards.
    Tomlinson had been quietly but noticeably seething for weeks about the Chargers not moving the ball consistently and seeming to vacillate in terms of an offensive identity. And Turner knew it. It was not an apology he offered, but he respected Tomlinson enough to want him to understand where he was coming from. And with a season crashing down on him, he couldn't lose his leader.
    After the Chargers went to Denver and ran a season-high 37 times and averaged 9.7 yards per offensive touch, ninth-highest in an NFL game this season, Tomlinson's appreciation for Turner only grew.
    “He knows the foundation of what this team is built on,” Tomlinson said. “He comes in, he's got this very talented team. He's like, 'Look at all these toys.' Sometimes in the midst of all these toys, you have to go fight with your foundation.”
    Tomlinson said he probably would have done the same thing as Turner early on, but that it was time to go back to the “foundation.”
    The Chargers' foundation, of course, is running the ball. Tomlinson, being the league MVP, knows this. So does Philip Rivers, being the quarterback. That was never intended to be an excuse for any of us – the adjustment period,” Rivers said yesterday. “But I think you can't underestimate the impact that has. Sometimes you don't even realize that. But I think (Turner) is really getting a feel for us offensively and kind of zeroing in on who we're going to be. I think (Sunday), that's who we are.”

The Chargers established their ability to run early at Denver and aired it out when necessary and when match-ups allowed. Their six passes of more than 20 yards were only four fewer than their total the previous four games. Their four passes of more than 25 yards were fourth-most in the league in a game this season.
    “There are going to be different games where there is more high-percentage stuff, and there is not going to be 20 yards a completion,” Rivers said. “But the run game mixed in with the play-action, with (Antonio) Gates and Vincent (Jackson) and the rest of the guys, that's who we are. That's who we've been, and that's when we're at our best.”
    Their best, they now know, is good enough.
    “We got some confidence back,” Tomlinson said. “More than anything, we felt like we're starting to find ourselves. That game proved what we do well. We found what we can do if we play like that.
    “Confidence is definitely there. Confidence continues to build. But I don't want us to get all happy and start patting ourselves on the back after one win. We need to stay focused on continuing to build on this.”
    Such was the theme yesterday. The Chargers were not as overtly thrilled about the Denver win as they were after the season-opening win against Chicago. But they were clearly relieved and even energized. Safety Marlon McCree called the victory “a shot in the arm.”
    Turner felt the biggest thing was restored confidence and a tangible reinforcement of what he has been preaching.
    “It was a big step for us, a big win,” he said. “But in my mind it was a result of what we've been doing on the practice field. We can get a lot better. I don't think we'll play our best game for a long time. The culmination of what this team has gone through is why we'll get better as the year goes on. “It's harder to sell that we're preparing and we are getting better when you don't win. You win and play well, you can drive that home a little harder.”

2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I'll withold judgement until they move the ball like that against a team that has a real defense...

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I'm glad to hear Norv brought LT in for a one on one. LT was starting to sound real down. He seemed to be continually whining which is not like him. V good call by Norv to bring him in and have a chat. I expect to see LT much more positive from now on.

Apart from us playing so badly I reckon losing his buddy Brees and then Marty had quite an effect on him. AJ is not the type of guy to put his arm around LT's shoulder so I am glad Norv did it. Would love to know if AJ recommended he do it?.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    So why didnt we give the ball to LT on the goalline this week?
    I mean the Rivers rollout TD was nice, but............LT is Mr. Touchdown, he's automatic from 3yds out.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If we give LT the ball every play what do you think would happen...got to mix it up...:abq2:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Fear of running the ball straight up the gut is why there was so much open room out there for Rivers to score the slowest bootleg in the history of pro football.

Good job by Norv giving LT's bruised ego the massage it needed.

7. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    We traditionally have given LT the ball on every play (at least figuratively). This year's competition is having us on our toes more. A few small tweaks here and there, and we should be on our way.

Let's just string a win with this weekend's game, and we should be all good.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I think I miss the old quiet LT

:icon_sad:

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Exactly!!

Every week it's something. The ESPN article about AJ and LT, the sideline spat between Rivers and LT, LT getting revenge against the Pats, LT and Norv clear the air.

I think that LT needs to STFU and worry about getting more than 3 yards a carry.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

12. pgreenbe305

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm with everyone- play football like you know how, and let the stories around you come and go. It sucks being on top, or at least everyone thinking you're on top. Last week was the turning point- a win this weekend would really help solidify the base and the team's upward movement!

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Good news indeed. The Chargers have dug themselves a bit of a hole, though and have burned through most of their mulligans. I honestly think they can have only one more loss this season... and it better damned well not come in week ten.

14. pgreenbe305

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm with you NTMan- just win. That's the true motto for the rest of this season. Unfortunately, that week 10 opponent could prove just as tough as week 2. We better be past "mid-season form" for that one. Then again, week 10 is past mid-season, so we should be all good. :abq1:

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

i would take no losses until week ten

no problem

:icon_huh:

16. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    This is what happens when players become stars .. Falk was much the same way and then you couldn't get rid of him on the TV .. LT, the Chargers, and the fans are just going to have to adjust to it ..

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We can endure 3 more losses (10-6) and still have a good shot at the playoffs.

We need to win 8 more games and it does not matter how it gets done basically.

18. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Well in that case I would rather they just drop the next three, get all the losin' over with and go on a winning streak all the way to the Superbowl:tup:

19. pgreenbe305

Ratings:
    +22
    Trumpetdude- I partially agree, but I'm also to the point where I hate getting to Round 1, and dying. I agree that we can lose a few more and make the playoffs, but how many we lose and to whom we lose will really show how far in the playoffs we'll get (pending we make it, which I think we will).

I guess that's why the game is played, and why there are so many teams- I'd just like to convincingly beat these weak teams. I was thinking the other day- our win against Denver was great, but it should have been. They were weak, missing players, have a quasi-rookie QB. We should have kicked the crap out of them. Unfortunately, same thing goes for KC which the opposite happened. I hope the Chargers have started a new path with last weekend, and I expect them to trounce these weak teams, and to eek out victories against high caliber teams.

Beating Indy will tell me that it's the real-deal, and even then- there are other teams out there that we'd need to beat. On to more positive news- go Bolts!

Just my $0.02.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Last year we had all the karma and a 14-2 season and we went one and out. The way I see it this year is that last year's season should be a lesson. Records and who we beat really did not mean dick because we ate **** in the playoffs - twice in the last 3 years so my reasoning is such that - just get in.

I do not care how we do it, just get us in the playoffs and from there - roll the dice and rock and roll.

21. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    I guess I still expect a little bit more than just getting to the playoffs. That would be nice, for sure, but my expectation going into this season was for the Chargers to get to that next level... be mentioned in the same breath as the Patriots and Colts. Maybe I am being a little naive or homerish, but I still hold onto that expectation. To get there, imo, it would take nearly running the table from here out, with maybe one more loss. Destroying the good teams on the schedule and utterly obliterating the softer ones. Send a message to the world that the first few games were just warmups and that they are not to be trifled with.

My constitution can't take many more "Oh look... the Chargers tank again" articles in January.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Long time Chargers fans have been tempered through time to withstand the ravages. :yes: :icon_party:

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Beer and rum help!!:icon_party:

24. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Only women drink rum. :yes:

25. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    20 years now and it isn't getting any easier. I guess I need to take Concudan's advice.

:icon_beer:

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It gets easier - really. At around 20 years you get an itch and then after the itch is over, you just roll with it. I've been at it 40+ years so ......