1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigmike.x.09, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    23 rushes 71 yards and 1 should have been TD. Thoughts? I think he's still getting his legs back. Mind you after any injury it takes a little time to get a feel for things again. I think he's be good when we make our run for the division and the playoffs. Against the Broncos, he looked pretty good, looked like he had a good feel for the game again, and this game (I couldn't watch it) it seems as though he's getting better??

Thoughts???

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    His legs are not the problem. The problem is our once dominate offensive line that went to complete sh*t!!!

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yea he's not getting a lot of holes to work with. He's looked better hopefully things improve as the season progresses.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

got a laugh outa me that time

we haven't had a line since the Wilkerson, Macek, and Ed White days

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    LT is fine, its this sorry excuse for an OL thats holding him back

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    LT made the most out of the holes that the O-line could generate. 60 yards in the first quarter...wow. Unfortunately he only got 11 yards the rest of the game. Damn I wish he could have gotten a TD.

The O-line is our main problem. I have noticed over the years, that LT slips more than any other back I can remember seeing. I heard that he uses short cleats so he prevents knee and/or ankle injuries...maybe as he get older, using longer cleats to ensure traction is worth the risk.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    At times I feel bad for not just LT, but all of our backs....I think LT is fine...He is not in MVP form like 2006 and never will be again...but he still has the tools of a VERY good NFL running back. He showed it all on that one opportunity when they actually gave him a hole to run through and hit the secondary. He also drove hard to get what should have been a TD late in the game.

I'm just getting so sick of seeing defensive players reach LT/Sproles right after the handoff...I mean WTF are they supposed to do.....I think are problems are beyond simply bad personnel...We just don't really have well designed running plays with enough committed blockers. It always seems like half the time there is a defender free and clear of any blocker right in the face of LT before he even has a chance to cut.

We need to do more than just use our running game as a decoy for the pass....and our blockers need to get the proper attitude adjustment to run the ball down defenders throats when necessary....Getting stoned repeatedly at the goal line is unacceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. YuoGotOwn3d

YuoGotOwn3d Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Get the O Line working and LT could be showing the old self again. :yes: :bolt:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LT = still good
    OL = not so much

Fcuk them for not getting him into the endzone today on 8 tries inside the 5. Pathetic. Special shout out goes to DUMBrowski. Way to not report eligible.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    he doesn't have the extra gear anymore

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    it's the OL and let's face it, he's slowed down as well

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Hopefully we can get Hardwick back and get better on the O line.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I remember when LT had that extra gear when he hit the hole and another one when he got into the secondary.... ahhh, those were the days.

nice "W" today. Finally we dominate someone. Yes!

:bolt::tup::abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1: :tup: :bolt:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There's absolutely no doubt that we'll never see the LT of old again. He's still a good back, but he doesn't have the same abilities that he had several hundred carries ago.

The OL is a problem, no doubt, but we also lost a damn fine blocking FB in Lo Neal. LT would be the first to tell you that Lo was responsible for LT getting many of the yards he's piled up over the years.

LT got more yardage when Tolbert was in at FB. The kid needs the reps to get his blocking down, but he has the build & mindset of a good FB. Hester is turning out to be a ST demon, but he isn't a FB & it's a mistake to try to turn him into one.

15. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    O Tackle looks to be a deep position in the next draft, so AJ better pick his first 1st round OLineman during his reign.

He picked Big Mack in the second, but Chris Samuel's injury has me scared the spinal stenosis could effect him. We need a stud at tackle, maybe kick Clary inside, and be a solid backup at RT. Heck, even a stud who could move Marcus to RT.

We did open a few holes the last two weeks, but the chiefs don't count, they're JV.

If they open some on the Raiders I will be alot more impressed than yesterday.

Fonoti and Big Mack are two second rounders AJ has chosen since 2002. We need to INVEST in Oline to help LT finish his career in style with a trophy and a couple of more 1000 yard seasons. He has 10 games and 789 yards to go this year.

We need ya #21, hopefully the light will turn on for your blockers the rest of the way.

16. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    LT is clearly heavier, slower, and noticeably less explosive in his lateral cuts. But with even average blocking, he can still get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm not ready to close the book on LT. Give the young guy's in the O-line some more time as well as LT to fully heal and things will change.

Lt is never going to be 22 again and most of us won't be either. He still has game and I want it to shine on through.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    Get some consistency going on the OL and I think things will improve. The middle is still getting pushed around too much which was clearly evident on the goal line runs. DLs were in the backfield on every attempt.

LT can still cut and make the runs, but damn he has to have some blocking.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It will come, our young linemen will get better at run blocking each game... I hope...

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I hope he can draft Shaun Cody. :tup:

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    LT is a great athlete and a terrific running back, but the future of the Chargers does not rest with LT. I believe the team needs to be built around Phillip River's skills as a QB, but if they wait too long Rivers will also get short on productive years.

He's a great passer, so why not build primarily a passing offense? There are some great receivers on the team, and if personnel can be brought on board to protect Rivers, there's no telling just how fearsome a passing offense can become....Air Rivers.

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    There are great passing offenses that rack up yards.....Could give a chit about a bunch of garbage yards that get us down to the 2 yard line and not into the endzone. Jay Cutler racked up huge yardage stats with the Broncos....not wins. We were 8-8 last year passing all over the field. The Saints were 8-8 last year with Drew Brees almost setting the record for passing.

And there are great offensese which rack up wins....almost always with some balance to keep teams honest...that can beat defenses that are strong against either run or pass. Case in point, Drew Brees is far off his passing yard totals from last year...but the Saints found a running game and a defense and they are kicking arse.

Ultimately, defenses win championships.

1. Fix the Chargers defensive line.

2. Fix the Chargers Offensive line.

That's where your personnel changes need to happen.

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I agree, but to be a fully effective offense, you need a solid running game, which we can have... if we fix the tissue paper that is our offensive line.

24. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    This power ranking comment by Adrian Hasenmayer OF Fox sports Really pissed me off.:icon_evil:

“The good news: The defense finally showed up as the Chargers routed the Chiefs to get to .500. The bad: After some early runs that resembled the "young LT" of the past, LT looked very old getting stuffed repeatedly near the goal line and lost steam in the second half. The Chargers are going nowhere without "the old LT," not just an old LT.”

The offensive line FAILED in the Q2, Q3 and Q4 for the running game. LT may not be in his prime, but the guy still has a lot left. I believe if we had an O-line that was capable of average performance, that LT and Sproles would have a combined total of 2000+ yards rushing this year…with LT getting the lion share.