1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson's teammates take up for him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2010 10:56 PM ET

One of the biggest surprises of the young season has come in New York, where veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson has gained 208 yards, averaging an eye-popping 5.6 yards per carry. Tomlinson has quieted critics who believed that he was washed up, although it remains to be seen whether he'll hold up over the long haul of the season.

Regardless of how the story unfolds, Tomlinson has won over his new teammates, who have lined up to fire back at Tomlinson's old ones.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports has compiled a stream of quotes from Jets players in response to the shots fired by Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and Chargers tight end Antonio Gates at Tomlinson.

Said tackle Damien Woody: "Yeah, we all saw that. It was kind of like nuke missiles flying from the other side It's unfortunate that somebody would say something after you leave. What does that say about you? We've got his back 100 percent. I've been telling people, LT's still got a lot of giddy-up in his legs. San Diego is Philip Rivers' team now. A lot has changed. They have an aerial attack -- it's like their receivers are basketball players and they're playing alley-oop. So when they go to run the ball, they can't. We practice that every day. Rex calls it ground and pound."

Said linebacker Jason Taylor: "I think it's very disappointing that guys would do that. It's a little unprofessional. If you call the guy a friend, you ought not to do that. If you had an issue, you should speak to him face-to-face."

Linebacker Bart Scott was slightly more blunt. (Imagine that.) "Man up," Scott said. "Drop your balls. Have a pair. Say it. LT's a lot classier than I am. I'd have fired back with an atomic bomb."

Even coach Rex Ryan got in on the act, too. "Yeah, I think it's hilarious," Ryan told Silver. "Here's one of the finest players in the history of your organization, if not the finest, and a former NFL Man of the Year. Every franchise would love to have a person and player like that. And they're taking shots at that guy? We've got a great back in LaDainian. He's tremendous. Does he look like he's through? Absolutely not. He's strong. He looks fast. He looks tremendous to me."

So far, Tomlinson has indeed been tremendous; a 21-yard run early in the second quarter of Sunday night's win over the Dolphins proved that Tomlinson still has that old burst, the one that he was supposedly too old to pull off. Shonn Greene, who was presumed by many to be poised to develop into a high-end tailback, has only 106 yards, with an anemic average of 3.5 per carry.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Obviously this had more to do with perception than reality. These guys did not actually see the comments. They just took up for their teammate when a reporter asked them a question like, "What did you think about LT's former teammates trashing him?"

Because what Gates and Rivers said was nothing as harsh as these guys are making it out to be. If the reporter who wrote this article wanted to be fair, he would have printed the comments that these players were responding to, instead of trying to make them seem more incendiary than they were. As for classy LT, he had plenty of crappy things to say about the O-line as he left SD. It wasn't like it was all one-sided. And to their credit, the O-line has not fired back publicly.

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Really? His new teammates who weren't there for all the years in San Diego have his back? Who gives a shyt, for Gates and Rivers to come out and say some things shows how bad the situation most likely was. There's also a reason not to create waves with the franchise's face as well which is why these guys most likely tolerated what they had to til he was gone.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I never saw the team mates trashing LT. It was AJ, Norv, and the fans who were trashing LT. Guys like Hardwick said he loved LT and wished him well

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    So the O-Line saying nothing after LT threw them under the bus is teammates talking trash about him? What a load of BS.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    F Tomlinson.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not that I have heard, and I never saw anywhere where LT threw the line under the bus. What he did do was throw the offensive philosophy, which includes blocking schemes, under the bus

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So LTs team mates have his back NOW months after the quotes were made. That is 'manning up' and 'dropping their balls'... OK...

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Typical New York media stirring the pot.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If Tomlinson played like a man and didn't DAWG IT the last two years in Dego none of this would have happened.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He did not 'DAWG' it. He had injuries. He himself has said this is the first time in two years he has felt this close to 100%. If your gonna bash on him at least come honestly about it...

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word... :tup:

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Tomlinson going down on his own without contact was bad, if his injuries were that severe he should not have played and hurt the team. So if he was injured and couldn't play he was being selfish, if not then he was Dawgin it. You can't have it both ways.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok, so now he hurt the team by playing, because no player is encouraged in the league to play when at less than 100%...

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I wonder what article they are talking about.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wonder the same thing. I never saw Rivers, Gates, or any other player bash him, and I never saw where bashed any of the players on his way out the door as some claim. All I ever saw is shots between him and the front office/Norv's philosophy

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The one before the start of the season that quoted PR and AG talking about Tomlinsons.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is probably this
    “I don’t know how everyone feels or if they felt it,” said Rivers, who answers questions about Tomlinson the way someone walks through a minefield. “Maybe it was a little bit of a relief. Maybe it’s a feeling of, ‘I can do a little more without wondering what he thinks.’ ”

“Sometimes you would get the sense that people felt bigger than the team,” Gates said. “Not to say it was an issue, but we know it’s not an issue for sure now.”

Rivers is too honest, however, to not acknowledge an underlying tension existed as Tomlinson’s dissatisfaction with his role was at times evident.

“That got real touchy the last 18 months,” Rivers said.

I think we all knew that LT never bought into Norv's system and hasn't really been happy since the day Norv was hired. I know Lo Neal has said that LT view Marty as a father figure and their relationship was more than coach/player, so I think he took personal offense to the way Marty was shown the door.

It was the right time for LT to depart, but that doesn't mean he didn't have anything left in the tank, just that he wasn't a fit for the system

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Please provide a single quote where Norv bashed LT.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Thanks for digging up the quotes. As I was saying, they are really not all that harsh. I doubt LT's new teammates even read the quotes, they were just asked how they felt about critical comments made by LT's former teammates and they took up for him.

If LT was upset about Marty leaving, then he should have talked to Marty about trying to hire his worthless brother as DC.

It was obvious the last two years that LT was slowed by injuries. He's stayed healthy for three games this year, which is more than he's done the last two seasons. Whether or not he can stay healthy for a full season at his age remains to be seen.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Thanks for digging up the quotes. As I was saying, they are really not all that harsh. I doubt LT's new teammates even read the quotes, they were just asked how they felt about critical comments made by LT's former teammates and they took up for him.

If LT was upset about Marty leaving, then he should have talked to Marty about trying to hire his worthless brother as DC.

It was obvious the last two years that LT was slowed by injuries. He's stayed healthy for three games this year, which is more than he's done the last two seasons. Whether or not he can stay healthy for a full season at his age remains to be seen.

22. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    This is Michael Silver of Yahoo reporting this bs. Thats all you neeed to know he is a jagg off with an ax to grind on the Chargers for some reason. He is contsantly going after AJ and the team anyone anytime for any reason. I just choose to ignore him TJ Simers of the LA Times.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    YOu are right, he didn't publicly, but the had the 2nd worst running attack in the NFL and didn't make a single change on the O-Line. It is pretty obvious that they thought the problem was LT and not the line

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It wasn't him that said it in the interview. It was Chris Ello who said he heard about the rumor and Silver said it was a possibility

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Are you refering to the Oline that was in flux all season due to injury?

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Every coach in the NFL has the ability to hire their own assistants. It isn't LT's place to tell Marty who to or who not to hire

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Freaking NY media, we know they hate the west coast but sooner or later they have to let it go.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If said player is still capable of performing at a high level then yes they are, if no further risk of damage isn't an issue. If not most likely the doctors would intervene. Besides, Tomlinson being who he was could very easily sit out and heal or the doctors didn't deem said injury to be as detrimental as you are trying to say it was.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is a steaming pile of pig droppings and you very well know it. Why the new rules to keep players with concusions out until tests are cleared? Teams have always pressed players back into service at the earliest possible moment. You want to now turn that into some reason to justify your angst go for it, but you know it is BS.

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    See all Tomlinson needed was to get away from the San Diego beaches. There is no sand up in New York to get stuck in his vagina.

[​IMG]