1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlinson's Trainer Says He Hasn't Lost A Step

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

On Thursday I had the opportunity to sit down with trainer Todd Durkin, head of the Fitness Quest 10 training center in San Diego. He works with Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints and our conversation centered around his work with him and how one of his sponsors, Under Armour, is helping him revolutionize the training experience.

Durkin also works with LaDainian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers so I had to ask him:

Does LT still have it?

"To be honest with you," Durkin told me, "I don't think LT's performance has dropped off that much. When I train him, his strength, speed and power is still there. What I see is a change in organization. The commitment to run is no longer what it used to be."

So, it's more the Chargers philosophy and less LT's skills?

"[The Chargers are] more of a finesse team now. They don't have the pounders and grounders. He lost his fullback, Lorenzo Neal, and that's affected him."

"I believe if he's in the right system, whether that's the Chargers or someone else, and he has a fullback that can open some holes, and the system is committed to running, I think LaDainian will continue to do well. They put a lot of this talk into being 30, well LaDainian has put a lot into his training."

Statistically, Tomlinson has dropped off quite a bit and he's already come to terms with the fact that he won't be returning to the Chargers this season.
    As a fan of a team that Tomlinson has lit up over the last near-decade, I can say I'm very happy that Tomlinson is leaving the Chargers

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/6/1298155/tomlinsons-trainer-says-he-hasnt

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    IF ladanian just wants out of san diego. Which I can understand cause he's not the featured player anymore. Then I see no reason to not trade him for a good pick if he's really almost as good as he used to be.

Ladanian wants out of town. Which brings a whole nother avenue to just letting him go vs. trading him.:yes:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know. LT did not hit the holes when they were there the same way he used to. He may be, no... He is still in great shape, still fast but when compared with a RB 8 years younger than him, his age is going to start showing.

Norv's offense is not a RB friendly one, so I can understand LT's frustration. But he is not the back he was 4 years ago, even though I want to see him retire a Charger.

4. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    When lanes did open up for him this season, he seemed to get ankle tackled very offten. If he did get a few yards he didn't have the second move like he once had.

I disagree with this trainer, of course he going to say this hes still on the payroll lol.

I can't wait til hes gone, the fans need to get over it.

Wish him well wherever he goes and get us a new RB. Because no matter who we get I will promise you that he will get more than 730 yrds.

The Chargers are a finesse team? Maybe we aren't the running team we once were, but in no way are we finesse.
    This Ahole must be thinking about the Donkies, now thats a finesse team.

This all looks like the work of LT's agent Tom Condon.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I think Lt still has it and watch him go to houseton and run for 2000 yards!

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    .:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:........:icon_rofl:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I can't.

By that logic it would be understandable for Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee, Kasiim Osgood, Michael Tolbert, Kris Dielman, Brandon Manamalamulullululu, Kris Wilson, Darren Sproles, Billy Volek, and many others to want out of San Diego.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    You can't be serious.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't know who to believe anymore, the player or the team. Although the team hasn't come out publicly on the LT situation yet, I can still remember the Brees debacle.

If the powers that be know LT still has it, I'd love to see him in SD to finish his career. I think his constant complaining in the press may have punched his ticket out of town though.:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    LT pays this guy's bills, what else is he going to say?

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91

This team HAS changed its style!

We are no longer commtitted to the run and a so very quick to pass the ball. When we do run the ball its without any imagination or intent...its just something to do between passes! hehe

We no longer have mauler types at guard. Dielman is still there but its easy to see that he is playing differently to what he has in the past regimes (Marty)

LT may a lost a bit...the the Organisation changes have been the biggest reason for LT's drop off in yards gained performance IMHO

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I like how one playoff loss has turned everyone into describing our current offensive makeup like it's a bad thing.

This team wouldn't have even had an opportunity to choke in the divisional playoff game at home if not for our current offensive style.

Does it have its faults? Yes...but so did Marty's offense.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The offense is not the problem. If anything the O no loger needs LT, and that has to be frustrating for him...

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I can understand his frustration but not his choice of actions on how to act on that frustration.

15. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    "Tomlinson's Trainer Says He Hasn't Lost A Step"

-------------

then maybe he needs to tell the rest of the NFL... you know... the guys who keep stopping him for 1 and 2 yard carries. Sorry but LT HAS lost a step and it shows every time he a carries the ball. Don't blame he o-line and don't blame the system. If LT still it then he would be taking advantage of all the times he did get the ball... instead of averaging 3 yards a touch.

It isn't a crime to grow old. That's what happens when RBs start seeing the downside of 30 years old. LT needs to accept that he's no longer got the skills and speed to be a feature back. He can't turn the corner anymore and that was his strength.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Haven't you heard?

It's not LT's fault that he only gets 1 and 2 yard runs. It's Norv's fault because he doesn't know how to use him properly!

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    well i caution everyone that we have no clue what has been said to LT by the team.

The one thing that continues to shock me is how fans will disregard peoples past actions and make judgements based on a lack of information. But then again we all do it. Including me... So I shut up now...

18. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yeah, ok, sure.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn - beat me to it. :lol:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    His trainer says he needs to be in the right kind of system.

That means he's lost a step.

The old LT would succeed in any system.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Me too.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LT is not a full back. It's that easy to understand!

23. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Does he have the same trainer as David Boston?

• Like Like x 2
  24. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  25. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    All you have to do is look at film of LT from his rookie year until 06. He does not look like the same person. The speed, the cuts etc... It is actually amazing to me how different he looks from just 3 years ago.

26. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Come on Todd, we all have television sets. We can see LT is not the same guy he was before...

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    well ****, when we opened holes for the dude he would trip over himself. i cant imagine how many times he did that this season. we had line problems early in the season but we all agreed that we did MUCH better during the streak. i dont care how well you do in practice or training, if you cant do it on the field then it doesnt matter what you can do in practice.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Norv's offenses have had plenty of productive runners: Terry Allen & Ricky Williams come to mind. Remember one of his key mentors was John Robinson. Oh yeah, and some guy who is #1 all time in rushing. Norv will be committed to the run when this offense can run, and that starts up front.

My biggest hope is Vlade Ducasse in round one then a bruiser like Gerhart or Blount later.

I hope LT goes to Houston and shows the world he has something left, but his time in SD has run its course. Blessings to his new growing family, and I will love him forever...I am one of the last off the bandwagon, and yes LT, its been a helluva ride.:flag::flag:

• Like Like x 1
  29. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Thats harsh man!