1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    BFD :lol:

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I support Dungy, but I don't think the NFL will follow him.

You always will have "loud speaking" coaches, who pressure his followers and there will be coaches will a mindset, that
    players are free and intelligent people, who give their best without "F" bombs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Jesus ****ing Christ Rex, watch your ****ing mouth. I agree with Dungy, you aren't Tony ****ing Soprano. :icon_tease:

5. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I think Rex Ryan and John Elway are the same dude. If not, then one thing is for sure, they both have too many teeth.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If we would have hired Rex then it would be funny as hell. :lol:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    qft:icon_toast:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah I'm cool, I can cuss.:unsure:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Pizza+beer+Ryan+Lasorda=:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

10. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah, ya gotta knock that ***damn cussing the **** off, it sounds like ****!!:lol:

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree, who gives a ****?

Rex is a prick. Tony is a kind of a pu$$y. End of stoy.

12. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Or Rex ate him. Everyone has thier way of doing it. Dungy's way won him a SB, will Rex's win him one. Who knows or cares, it the ****ing jets.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is funny to me that Dungy was an appologist for Vick who tortured and killed dogs, but is making a big deal out of Rex having a fowl mount.

Hey Tony, go back to thumping on your bible and shut up

By the way, I can't stand Rex, I just don't think it is a big deal