1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Kornheiser Thinks He's Not Good For Monday Night Football

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jun 7, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/

Friday, June 06, 2008

[​IMG]

I enjoy people who are overly self-loathing. I find them funny but at a point it gets kind of depressing and I think we've reached that with Tony Kornheiser. He quit his longtime job at the Washington Post last month and now he's saying he's not good as a broadcaster on Monday Night Football and admits to not even liking Football.

In an interview with On The DL he had this to say....

"I'm not all that good at it. I'm not as good as I'd like to be at it. I'm really not. I don't really care that much about football. And I understand that there's a game going on. And I think what I'm best at, the kind of yodeling that I'm best at is in a little bit of a longer form than is allowed in a football booth. And there's three people in there and I'm the third guy and, you know, and all of those years having a radio show and all of those years writing a column I'm used to having the microphone pretty much all to myself. And, so, it might not be the best circumstance for me. I'd like to think I got better at it. But frankly, it may not be the best thing for me."

Look, I for one can't stand Tony on the broadcast, but I think this goes into something deeper. If you don't even like Football you're cheating the fans listening to the game. This isn't any different than what I've been saying since he was hired, but him finally admitting it is really telling. I enjoy the guy's writing, radio, and PTI work but if he feels this way...it might be for the best for him to leave the booth. Especially with that attitude towards the game itself.

He's also still really really being a downer these days. Someone get him a newspaper job stat, so we can get the old wily Kornheiser back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Kornheiser was never good at anything but self-promotion through self loathing.

I hope they dump him from the booth. Honestly, Dennis Miller was better than this idiot.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_eek: Now THAT'S bad. But I've never cared for Kornheiser & didn't like Dennis Miller as a football broadcaster, either.

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Tony is the man!!!

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i finally agree w/ you Kornhole u do suck:tup::tup:
    now quit and go home and while ur @ it leave PTI ur holding it back:tup: MW is the man:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I least Kornholer isn't lying. Nothing but the truth when he says, "I'm not all that good at it."

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Cornholio!!!

[​IMG]

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    When I go bald in 20 years I will appreciate Tony even more :yes:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Sham, Dennis Miller is a putz. I see little to choose from. Like it or not, Leitner would be better than these two. Even Hacksaw would be marginally better. At least he would have some one on the headset who could identify the players.

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    How about no third guy in the booth?

I wish that trend would just die ....

11. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Can't argue the point. The only three guy team I ever liked was Cosell, Meredith and Gifford(the straight man).

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Bring Fouts back!

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes:

IMO, a commentator can't make or break a game anyway. At least I never pay much attention to them.
    The worst commentated game I can remember was us against Detroit in 2003 but what would you expect in a 14-7 game? Especially when neither team had dominating defense. It was Jerry Glanville and someone (can't remember.)

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Yep. 3rd Wheel is just annoying.

Monday is now the B-Team anyway. All MNF has left is the logo.

Sunday Night Football with Al and Madden is now the best primetime show.

15. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I can't remember when MNF had a broadcast crew that I actually thought was decent. It's been that long.

16. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Three guys in the booth is almost always a really, REALLY bad idea.

These guys like hearing themselves talk so much that there's rarely a merciful pause in the blathering. More often than not, the MNF broadcast team actually detracts from the expereince of watching the game... too many guys trying too hard to be too clever. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    At least Hacksaw would add the element of (unintentional) comedy! :lol

Then again, he'd probably be tossing out his racist comments about "Fat Japs", and then fiercely defending said comments while claiming to be misunderstood and persecuted. Add Lee to the mix, and suddenly, it's all about Hacksaw!

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I usually watch at the neighborhood sports bar, so mercifully, I miss most of what the announcers are saying.

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree, but that probably won't happen.

They should team Jaws up with Fouts, try to appeal to the fans with a higher football IQ.

We are getting more knowledgeable every day, what with the constant flow of information via the internet and the NFL network. Game telecasts should start catering to that, it would be a nice change.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    That's a strategy not used often enough by married football fans.

"Yeah, honey, I'm going to watch the game down at the Sports Bar, where the announcers get downed out by the patrons..." :tup:

:nana_dance:

21. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    bring back Dennis Miller

• Like Like x 1
  22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    As what? I'm sure he has his uses. I just may not be perceptive enough to have discovered them yet.

23. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Guess what? He's right! As Dirty Harry once said: "A man has to know his limitations."

24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    But, the networks, to include NFLN, have gone the other way. NFLN (and Sirius to some extent) tried to push themselves as more for the "advanced" fan when they started, but I've noticed both declining to the typical Sportscenter soundbite method. Look at what happened after our playoff game with so-called 'experts' discussing LT.

How about the Combine? We get LESS coverage and more TALK each year. Less than half the numbers get posted (let alone shown), and many are hard to find on the NFL's own website.

The 2nd day of the draft has many picks missed because of blather and puff pieces. We're getting the Olympic style packaged product more and more with the major sports events.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I have 2 things to say.

1. Tony Cornhole sucks.

2. Thumper's avatar kicks ***!!!!!!!!!!:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

NO MORE DANCING WITH THE STARS REFERENCES ON MNF!

THANK F'ING GAWD!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

27. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He does suck. He is horrible. Most of them are. I guess the main anchor guy on NFLN isn't too annoying. I can tolerate Jamie Dukes for a little while also. But god, please quit if you don't even like yourself or the sport. What the hell is wrong with him.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I personally enjoy Jamie Dukes. He's entertaining, energetic and at least saw action as a player. Also the dude speaks his mind...maybe not always something I'd agree with but something to ponder anyway. I'd rather have had Kornheiser's PTI partner than Tony.
    I say give our man Dan the gig if he ever wants it. Fouts is respected by anyone whoever played the game. He's articulate and smooth...and of course a CHARGER :tup: