1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Too many QBs

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Oct 20, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_20.1898519f.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

By Jim Alexander

SAN DIEGO - Philip Rivers isn't looking over his shoulder. Yet.

But the Chargers' dilemma of two high-profile quarterbacks and one starting position took yet another curious turn with Tuesday's acquisition of veteran A. J. Feeley from Miami. By adding a one-time starter to the quarterback mix, the Chargers have created options for themselves this off-season, when it is presumed that either Brees won't be re-signed or Rivers will be traded.

A third possibility is that Feeley, who was acquired by the Dolphins from Philadelphia for a second-round pick last year but couldn't hold onto the starting job in Miami, won't pass this audition, and the Chargers will be right back where they started.

Complicating matters is that Feeley makes $540,000 this year, but his salary jumps to $3.5 million, $4.55 million and $5.6 million the next three seasons, according to NFL Players Association figures. Rivers' salaries for the next three seasons, according to the NFLPA, are $615,000, $940,000 and $1.265 million.

"I've only been in the NFL for a year, but I've found out you can't be surprised by anything," Rivers said Wednesday.

"I really don't read anything into it, other than that obviously it was a move made for now and for the future. I could throw out every scenario (to analyze it), but the key is just to focus on now, as I have, and to be ready."

The New Guy

Feeley started eight games for the Dolphins last year, passing for 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, five of which were returned for touchdowns. By the time last season was over, both the general manager who traded for him (Rick Spielman) and the coach who made him a starter (Dave Wannstedt) were gone, and new coach Nick Saban dropped him to third on the Dolphins' depth chart.

"For me it's getting back to square one," said Feeley, who backed up Akili Smith and Joey Harrington at Oregon and then did the same with Donovan McNabb for three years in Philadelphia. "I've had setbacks before, but that only makes you stronger. I'm going to take this opportunity and make the most of it.

"It's kind of bittersweet. The bitter part is that things didn't work out very well for me in Miami, and it's tough to swallow that ... Some of it was me, and a couple of things were out of my control. I just have to try and look at it and learn from it."

Playing Hurt

Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb has been playing in pain with a sports hernia and has said his intent is to play through it this season and then opt for surgery.

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said the injury hasn't been readily apparent on film. But safety Bhawoh Jue said he thought McNabb's accuracy might have been hampered on certain throws.

Still, McNabb has completed 61 percent of his passes, with 11 touchdowns and three interceptions.

"With the injury he has, a lot of guys might sit down and not play," Jue said. "But he's playing through it, and you have to admire him for that."

Not only that, but McNabb cracked wise about it during his conference call interview with San Diego area reporters Wednesday.

"During the bye week I went in and did my own surgery," he quipped. "I got some scissors and a butter knife and just reattached everything."

More Chargers Notes

The Chargers moved guard Wes Sims from the practice squad to the main roster to replace Toniu Fonoti, traded to Minnesota for a late-round pick Tuesday. The club also signed offensive tackle Ben Johnson to replace Sims on the practice squad.

Six starters were listed as having sat out all or part of Wednesday's practice. The ankle injury is apparently the malady du jour, since cornerback Drayton Florence, safety Terrence Kiel, guard Mike Goff, center Nick Hardwick and wideout Eric Parker all were listed with ankle injuries, along with linebacker Steve Foley (abdominal strain).