1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Too soon to call this Buster a Bolts bust

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, May 22, 2010

Watching Buster Davis catch nearly every ball thrown his direction and then speed away from defender after defender this week, those fleeting memories of Sept. 22, 2008, crystallize in the brain.
    If, in between the venom and vitriol spewed on Davis, anyone remembers his three catches for 43 yards in the first quarter against the New York Jets that Monday almost two years ago, they seemed like a tease. It has appeared at times that night was perhaps destined to be all the promise we ever saw from the Chargers’ 2007 first-round draft pick, and that made his time here all the more frustrating.
    They were just three receptions, sure. But Davis made them beautiful, grabbing short passes in coverage and then pulling away from traffic for gains of 12, 20 and 11 yards.
    “I remember,” Davis said wistfully following one of the Chargers’ offseason coaching sessions this week. “… I just wanted to keep that going.”
    But two months later, he was on injured reserve and undergoing surgery to reattach his groin muscle to the bone and repair a tear in his abdomen.
    The premature end to his 2008 season was in the eyes of many the coronation of his status as a draft bust.
    Bothered by nagging injuries in his legs from the time he first wore lightning bolts, Davis in his first two seasons caught 24 passes for 247 yards and one touchdown.
    The hamstring and quad and knee pain that most often would allow him to practice two days at a time and then have to rest during his first training camps and kept him from playing in almost half the Chargers’ games in 2007 and ’08 were the effects of his trying to play through a groin injury suffered in his final college game and aggravated during the pre-draft process.
    “Since the groin has gotten better, everything around it has gotten stronger,” said Davis, who because of the groin was unable to properly work out his legs before last year. “I don’t have pains in my knees anymore. Everyone talks about the nicks and nacks I’ve had, but it was residual from the groin.”
    He got healthy last season, but with an abundance of receivers on the roster and him having been unable to prove himself, Davis was inactive the first 15 games of the season. In an essentially meaningless regular-season finale against Washington, as many starters rested, Davis caught six passes for 52 yards.
    This offseason, with Kassim Osgood gone, Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd skipping offseason workouts because of their contract dissatisfaction and Legedu Naanee still rehabbing from foot surgery, Davis is the only veteran receiver at Chargers Park.
    Even beginning last year, a change in Davis was apparent on and off the field during and after practices. It was in the way he carried himself, a slightly more gregarious manner, even in his making increased eye contact during conversation.
    “It’s just maturing,” he said this week. “… This is the best I’ve ever felt, especially my body. But I feel lot more confident too. My attitude has changed as far as getting down on myself. Especially last year, it was hard not playing, but now I can’t look backward anymore. It’s not about the past. It’s about what’s in front of me. I’m still young. I have a bright future.”
    His talent, even if fans haven’t had a chance to see it, is undeniable.
    “We have high expectations for him,” General Manager A.J. Smith said recently.
    Davis (and everyone) knows it is paramount he stays healthy.
    “That’s the main thing I’ve been working on,” Davis said. “Getting in the training room — even if I feel good I’m in there doing maintenance on my body, icing my knees and stretching before and after practice. That’s the thing I didn’t do in the past I learned I need to do.”
    Then, if and when Jackson and Floyd and Naanee return, Davis can still be a preferred target for Philip Rivers, still be an option, something he hasn’t been.
    “Those guys have their place,” Davis said. “Those guys are established. I have my place too. My place is to come in and make big plays. We’re going to have plays in the season coming where we need a spark on offense, and I know I can make that big play.”

2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    He may well be a key player for us if our RFA issues linger.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He's always had the hands, physical talent, work ethic, and maybe his routes have become crisper and more sudden......but he's never been even remotely healthy, and the injury bug can kill even the best athletes.

I hope we see some of this...

What he does great is adjust to FatMarcus' bad passes.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Buster will not be in Bolts in 2011.

5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    If i saw buster do that in all 16 games this season i would go buy his jersey because he would be a great player.Other wise i think i might just see this i think his number is 6

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    As was mentioned...in the brief glimpse of Buster we got to see against the Jets in2008, he showed really nice hands and plus acceleration as a slot guy who could be very dangerous. I think he got hurt again or re-aggrevated the groin immediately after.

He also looked pretty impressive against the Skins in a brief appearance at the end of the year last year. He looks like he's bulked up. He made a nice grab at the goal line in traffic.

If he's actually healthy (big if), we will have a ridiculous number of weapons in our offense...of course (knock on wood) if our RFA's are in uniform. Buster and Legedu as slot guys with the big trees outside and gates down the middle. There are mismatches all over the field.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Add Sproles out of the backfield and Mathews keeping defenses honest....:icon_eek: Scary good.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    ...and we could continue...An offensive line that is a more cohesive unit that has played together for a couple of years and gained experience (Nasty in particular) and is finally healthy (Hardwick/McNeill)....A franchise QB who may be ready to have his best year yet now that he is in his prime years.....Versatile, multi-skilled FB's who are looking better each year at blocking and can contribute in both passing and running games.....a reserve TE in Wilson who looks like he can contribute more also.

This team is loaded on offense....Just F'ing loaded.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It might be too soon to "officially" call him a bust but its damn close to time to, unless he shows something amazing this year

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    i really hope he steps it up.

he was my favorite wideout during his time at LSU.

on 3rd and long, or 4th and medium when we needed to keep a drive going, JR always looked to him more-so than Bowe.

He was a much more reliable target than Bowe was.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I need to see this ****-*** on the field. Period.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Message to Buster:

HGH is your friend.

You have the cash...shhhhhh!!!! :tup:

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Experience pays

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    5-25-2010

Posted 4 hours ago

First-round pick Davis would not be an exception to the rule if his career took an upswing during his fourth NFL season.

SAN DIEGO – Buster Davis[​IMG] became a popular guy after practice last week.
    He fielded multiple interviews, the byproduct of being the only veteran receiver at last week’s Organized Team Activities (OTAs).
    Now entering his fourth year, the Chargers’ 2007 first-round selection explained how he approaches his job differently.
    “Coming in and learning what I know now, if I’d have known then, it would’ve made a big difference,” Davis said of his rookie season.
    Wide receiver is one of the more difficult positions to transition to the NFL. Add some nagging injuries and a team with a multitude of pass-catching talents and more than one factor contributed to a lack of playing time during the first couple of years for Davis.
    A groin problem forced him to the Reserve-Injured list during the 2008 season.
    When healthy, he’s shown the potential to produce. He caught 20 passes for 188 yards his rookie season. In 2008, his three first-quarter receptions for 43 yards helped the Chargers to a 10-7 lead against the Jets.
    Then, in the last regular-season game last year against Washington, he caught six passes for 52 yards.
    Fast forward to this May. With Vincent Jackson[​IMG] and Malcom Floyd[​IMG] unsigned and Legedu Naanee[​IMG] still working his way back from offseason foot surgery, it’s Davis that’s grabbing reps, and passes, with the first offense.
    It’s a talking point as the rest of the roster sorts itself out but one that could hold merit into the season.
    Davis feels that he’s progressed as a route-runner and can better read defenses. Rehabbing also has taught him the value of maintenance, visiting the training room regularly as a preemptive strike.
    Most important, he’s gotten the opportunity to develop timing and comfort with Philip Rivers[​IMG] with all the pitch and catch in practice, a trend that should continue as Mini Camp begins Wednesday.
    “Maybe there’s a play that Philip sees that he likes in June or July that he might look back during the season and have some input and get it in the game plan,” Davis said.
    A surge in production several years into the NFL is not without precedent. Many receivers make vast improvements by their third or fourth season even if they stay healthy and play in every game.
    Here’s a list of the top 10 receivers in the NFL during last year’s regular season. Most experienced significant gains during the portion of their career Davis is entering this year.Davis realizes he is not only competing against himself, but against one of the more talented pass-receiving units in the NFL, including the league’s best tight end/running back receiving duo in Antonio Gates[​IMG] and Darren Sproles[​IMG].
    But it’s plausible fans could witness a few more catches from No. 84 this season, and Davis would not represent an aberration if he made a notable increase in production.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Experience-pays/81210542-fc91-430c-847c-7c9f90b54520

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Only if VJ and Malcom report in time for some training camp. Otherwise, we depend on Buster's uncertain health, Gary Banks and a bunch of rookies. We'll find out a lot more come the 15th.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think Floyd is an issue because he has very little ground to stand on in terms of getting a new contract, same with Merriman.

I think Vjack and McNeil will hold out. I know I would.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Far as how we will do wout Vjac due to suspension, I deffinatly look forward to my favorite WR on the team Legs to get us through. Also not sure Floyd can really go anywhere now as I think its sign or sit time and teams time to snatch these players has expired.

On CBD, which will remain his monikor/nick imo since I cant call him buster or bust yet since he hasnt proven hes not the ladder. Maybe its jus how it types, but I do think I like CBD vs Buster. *GET DOWN WITH CBD!!*

Also already bougt my ticket to the Sept 13 MNF opener, and would actualy love to see VJ already serving his suspension by then. He probably wont even if he doesnt fight the charges/try to hold up in court longer I would think his suspension weeks start week2.

Continuing to dethread, but I thought about today the fact I will get to see the first ever snaps of RM in this game!! I am doubly hoping he rips off a 20+ yd TD. Or two im not picky. Also would love to see Legs in a #2 spot. CBD in the slot Gates also over the middle... Sounds unfair really.

This year we BURN the paper team!! :icon_evil:

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Collision at Chargers' minicamp gives Buster Davis "severe headache"

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 8:01 PM ET

The ongoing emphasis by the NFL and the players' union on reducing the incidences of concussions on the field has focused mostly on what can be done to make in-game action safer. But when football players are flying around the field, they're susceptible to concussions whether it's during a game or practice, during the season or the offseason, in a full-contact drill or a non-contact drill.

The latest reminder comes from the San Diego Chargers' minicamp, where receiver Buster Davis sat out a second straight practice today with what was described as a "severe headache."

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the headache was the result of his collision with defensive back Eric Weddle in Wednesday morning's practice.

Davis will not practice the rest of the minicamp. He is, however, expected to return for organized team activities on June 8.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Thats my Edub solid hitter and a sure tackler.

All seriousness I do hope CBD is gettin his injuries out early.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Friggin' china doll. :tdown:

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Offseason blows. -___-