1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 free-agent gambles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 22, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Free agency is always a gamble, but the class of 2008 might make bookmakers in Las Vegas nervous.

Of the first 78 players to move to different teams, 48 played less than 50 percent of the downs last season for their previous squads. Over the past three decades, the NFL has developed into a league of role players and situational substitutions. So those figures aren't unusual.

Still, it's a gamble to spend millions of dollars for players who aren't on the field half the time. Some teams are taking a chance that backups can convert to starters. Others are gambling that players can switch positions and live up to their massive contracts.

The stakes are high, but teams have to take gambles to improve. Here are 10 of the biggest and most interesting gambles less than two weeks into the hottest free-agency period in NFL history.

3. Falcons betting on the long run: Nobody argues that former San Diego Chargers backup Michael Turner was the best running back in free agency. He's big. He's fast. His nickname is The Burner. When LaDainian Tomlinson needed a breather, Turner would strike fear in defenses, slamming his 237-pound body into the line and breaking long runs.

The Atlanta Falcons didn't blink in giving him a six-year, $34.5 million contract and a $15 million signing bonus. But banking on Turner as a starting running back is still a gamble. He's never had more than 80 carries in a season and he's never played more than 12 percent of the offensive snaps in a season. The Raiders gambled that Jets backup LaMont Jordan can be the full-time starter, and that didn't work out. The Vikings gambled on Chester Taylor and succeeded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3289406

2. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I see what he's saying but, I wish the best for turner cuase he stepped it up when he needed too. He is not a gamble.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe Michael will be a great addition for a hurting Falcons team & wish him the best - unless they're playing us!! :lol:

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Lamont Jordan was also running behind the Raiders O-Line. :lol:

The Burner is going to tear it up in Atlanta. :bolt:

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Turner will be good.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Could be a fantasy sleeper.

7. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Michael Turner isn't a gamble but its gonna be really hard for him to run in the Falcons,teams are going to stack the box.

8. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think Turner will do excellent in Atlanta and help out the Falcons alot. I wish him the best of luck over there and will watch when I can

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I say a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick in most leagues.