1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 25 QB busts of all time, lol. Guess who's #1.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 7, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6620150

1. Ryan Leaf, 1998
    First round, second pick, San Diego

We all know the story of our No. 1 quarterback bust. Leaf or Manning? Manning or Leaf? The fact that the Indianapolis Colts had such a difficult decision in front of them in 1998 is, of course, laughable in hindsight. Especially when you consider how Leaf often showed up to camp either injured or out of shape, threw interceptions by the bushel, then interacted with the media and Chargers front office with a certain level of grace and subtlety not seen since the Ultimate Warrior's WWF championship reign. Unlike others on the list, Leaf didn't have overwhelming personal problems, battles with addiction, brushes with the law, or anything like that. He didn't have demons, just hecklers, and that's because he flat-out stunk in the pros. Plus, he had a bum wrist and shoulder that gave him some trouble, too. After spending time with the Chargers, Buccaneers, Cowboys, and Seahawks, Leaf retired at the age of 26, having thrown for only 3,666 yards in only 26 NFL games. Now he coaches quarterbacks at West Texas A&M, and also serves as the school's head golf coach.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Without even reading your answer I'm gonna go out on a limb and say: Ryan Fitzpatrick?

:yes:

Yep. Thought so.

What do I win?

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good reason not to attend West Texas A&M.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Its funny, I use to get angry when someone brought up leaf. i felt it was a personal attack but really i don't give a **** that we are the ones that drafted the biggest bust in nfl history, someone was going to, and just because he had the most hype pre draft who gives a shyt. if your first round money goes to a guy that pretty much sucks *** you should always feel stupid. are people saying sammy davis when they mention this era's chargers?

i guess that's because sammy davis wasnt suppose to save our franchise. im not embarrassed we drafted davis but more like pissed. main reason im ranting on this right now is to point out that anyone now or then who uses leaf as an arguing tool toward charger fans is a fuqin idiot. taunting the guy himself is an entirely different story.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    There's a couple of big differences between Davis and Leaf

Davis was #30, Leaf was #2
    Davis played poorly, Leaf just blew up
    Davis didn't talk much or blame other people, Leaf went out of his way to insult the entire team, the city, the fans and everyone.
    Davis got paid a couple of million, Leaf was worth $11.25million
    Davis was going to be our new CB, Leaf was going to be our saving QB, the HEIR to STAN HUMPHRIES.
    oh and
    Davis was the first real bust that GM AJ Smith ever made, leaf was a harbringer of all the crap Beathard brought down on us

the Leaf thing doesn't bother me as much as it used to, when I'd swear I'd get furious just at the mention of him. Now, I don't care. That he's the worst bust on this list doesn't mean anything because he really was the worst bust ever.

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    im fully aware of the differences between leaf and davis, their drafting position however doesnt make as big as impact on me as you emphasized.

i only brought up davis because he's been the most recent blown first rounder weve selected. on the field is more the area i was touching not the fact that leaf was a 13 year old in a fat 22 year olds body. i don't think the fact that he's a douche bag contributed to his ranking on this poll. point i was trying to make was the less obvious one (everyone in that draft year wouldve selected leaf with that pick) i was merely trying to express my thought and failed to do so as i simply don't have the words. i did take it as a personal attack and for that i attempted to verball destroy anyone who spoke the leaf poison to me.

I don't now, and not because it was the smart pick to make by all the experts opinions at that time but for even more than that. I was never sent a letter from him saying he was gonna save our franchise, and i like most of you thought he would definitely be around for a while. we all know how it turned out and i really don't look at it like all the bored douche bags at espn making these top ten lists. I now look at it as a first rounder with baggage that didn't pan out. period. while watching him suck *** on the field i thought to myself "oh **** this guy sucks ***" not "espn will never let me forget this guy" alot of guys are cancers in the locker room, regardless of thier play on the field i don't want them on the chargers. we shouldve always been pissed as charger fans, not placed in defense mode every time we go to a sports bar.

7. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Why don't we have a poll for the worst GM - Beathard would be on my list. Seriously, after watching AJ, BB was a idiot when it came to the draft leaf nonwithstanding. I don't care what he did with the Skins - year after year of bad picks and giving away first rounders.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Davis was drafted just a couple of weeks after Butler's passing. Did AJ scout him, or was Sammy Davis a Butler pick, and he was drafted in respect to Butler's wishes?

Because ever since that draft, AJ has been right on the money!

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yea we also traded down and got another pick when we then decided to pick Sammy, while we traded up and gave up a ton to draft Leaf, which makes the pick even worse.

But sometimes you need to experience the lows before you can experience the highs.

10. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I thought this part was rather funny:

"3. Any quarterback drafted in 1978 (except Doug Williams)

Fourteen quarterbacks were selected in the 1978 NFL Draft. Out of those 14 quarterbacks, only first-round choice Doug Williams and Bill Kenney, the draft's second-to-last pick, turned out to be quality NFL starters. Five of those 14 quarterbacks never even threw a single pass in the NFL. So, why am I bagging so hard on the 1978 NFL Draft? Well, because future Hall of Famer Warren Moon went undrafted in 1978, and had to pay his dues for years in the CFL. Even geting off to that late start, Moon threw for more yards in his NFL career (49,325) than every quarterback from the 1978 draft combined (46,630). That's pretty ridiculous. Plus, there were actually two teams (Miami and Green Bay) that had the nerve of drafting more than one quarterback that year not named Warren Moon. Good work, scouts. I can totally see how Moon flew under the radar, too. He was only the MVP of the '78 Rose Bowl."

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    There are first round busts every year. No matter how much you try to break down every aspect of a player, there is still no sure fire way to predict what type of NFL player they'll become. I will give no arguement about Leaf being the biggest NFL bust of all time. But there have been several that were almost as bad.

12. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    he should stick to golf

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I gave a **** then.

I give a **** now.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    It bothers me in a sense that it's a stain on Chargers' history, but they have plenty of other stains.

But anyone who uses it in smak talk is merely trying to do just that, because the Leaf pick has no bearing on today because the person who drafted him isn't the GM anymore.

The Leaf pick would bother me much more if Beathard was still in charge.

Of course, i'm sure i'd have plenty of other things to bother me if Beathard was still in charge.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But we traded up to get that POS, at least its over now, and we can laugh about it, then we can continue to move on.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Thank god he isnt around anymore

17. BayAreaCharger

BayAreaCharger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I hate Ryan Leaf, period! :mad:

18. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :yes: :yes: :yes:

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Forget it R.L is history, playing golf.

Our future is in sight. Second year of P. Rivers and LT 21 on his side.