1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 3 things to address during the bye week

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Cheapseats, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    What are the top three things you would like to see addressed by the Chargers during their bye week?

Ground rules:
    1. No members of the coaching staff will be fired, harmed or abducted by aliens
    2. No miracle cures for injured team members
    3. No miracle free agent signings or coaching staff hires

In other words, you have a few days to address problems the team is having with the personnel we already have...pick your top priorities as you see it and post away.

Bolt talkers, your thoughts?

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Great ground rules, Cheapseats!

Gates needs yet more rest, but that pretty much goes without saying.

More tip drills for the D.
    Weddle has played pretty well this season, so far, but if he holds on to that pass thrown
    right at him, today, Chargers can probably close out Broncos without giving us all heart attacks.

But my TOP priority would address the most glaring problem:
    Red zone failures. Now, obviously, this problem is no secret to
    anyone, so the coaching staff has almost certainly already been
    doing extra reps on it. But what I would do, is spend some time brainstorming
    new alternatives for first & goal, from about the 9. I often wince when the Chargers
    get their big first & goal, but it's often right inside the 10...and 9.5 yards is a LONG
    ways, when the defense is all bunched up at the goal line. Like most teams,
    we usually run from the 9, and do not get close to the end zone. That leaves
    just two plays to get 5+ very tough yards, before settling for yet another field goal.
    I think we need to add a selection of new, safe short pass options to running backs
    and tight ends, so that we can either take a legit shot at scoring on first down,
    or at least have second & goal from only about the 2.

That's the first thing that occurs to me. :)

p.s. THEN aliens abduct Norv, probe him even more than usual, and ET uses
    his magic finger to make Gates and Sanders whole again, and AJ signs Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    1. Red Zone issues.. that is the very first thing to address.. If we convert Field Goals into TDs games will be much more out of reach for our opponents and take their drive out of the game..

2. Gotta get Rivers going.. He's just too inconsistent right now.. he needs to review a lot of tape this week and see how he can improve his game

3. Takeaways - We need more! -5 turnover ratio right now.. we need much more pressure on the QB.. Manusky has to figure it out.. We've stopped the run exceptionally well until today.. our first 100+ yard rusher but we did stop the pass game which is good

Great week to get healthier as well.. Hopefully we'll get Cesaire back.. check Gates out even though I won't expect him back til the Packers game.. Hopefully we can get Castillo back for the Bears game as well but thats questionable at the moment..

Tolbert and Mathews can rest up as well we need them!

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Nothing need be fixed. Just win baby.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    1. Red Zone execution.
    2. Treat minor injuries and let guys rest
    3. Focus on ball-stripping and tip drills for defense

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Offensive Line - work on protection schemes. I am not liking what I am seeing from Vazquez in particular. One positive note, RM#24 is picking up the blitz MUCH better than last season!

Defensive Scheme - with the loss of OTA's and the short off season the Defensive schemes suffer the most, especially in a season where we replace the DC. The Defense is getting better, but during the bye week they need to hit the books, and work on, on the field communications.

Get Rivers and WRs on the same page - They have been getting better but need more polish. The deep pass to M80 yesterday was on target, and shows that the rust is flaking off.

One last thought. In seasons past we lost these games during the slow start. This season we are winning the games during our slow start. It will pay dividends at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The #1 thing that needs to happen is Norv needs to be hypnotized and convinced that he needs to stop being a p_ussy and stop taking his off the opponense throat. Run up the score on every opponent and stop allowing crappy teams to stay in the game. His lack of a killer instinct, is why the Chargers almost lost yesterday

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    1 - Practice redzone. Getting Gates back will help but McMichael and Sperry are good pass catching tight ends, get them involved. Use play action which we almost never do inside the 5, get the LB's to commit and throw it over the top. And why are we not letting Mathews use his speed to get outside and score. He's proven he can do it well.

2 - Put Vazquez on notice that he needs to better his leverage and build up his strength cause he's getting thrown around. Clary goes to backup, Dombo goes to starting RT, and Mruc gets Vazquez's spot if he doesnt shape up.

3 - Work on the gameplans. Defense needs to create more pressure (and not just rush the OLB's). Offense needs to get Rivers going quicker. We need more slants, more crossing patterns. We are not utilizing the inside of the field well right now. We need the backs to catch balls over the middle, we need the WR's to catch more of those 20 yard skinny posts that they arent even running right now. We need more counters and mis-directions in the run game. Use these 2 weeks to get the gameplans together.

And everyone get as healthy as they can. My guess is Ryan Mathews will be good, so will Tolbert, Jackson and Floyd. Hopefully Rivers nagging abdomen will feel good. Nothing miraculous needed for these guys. Hope for Gates to at least give it a try. Don't expect Luis back until December. Hopefully Jacques will be ready as well. Lets use this time right. I'm not sure there is any team that I want to put my foot on and crush more than the Jets. Lets get it done.

9. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    1. O-Line protection.

2. O-Line push.

3. O-Line scheming.

10. firebagfan

firebagfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    yup redzone offense, and the offensive line needs to be fixed

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think that they need to work on all short yardage situations, including the redzone. This season they have had times they needed to pick up 1 yard and have come up short. I don't like it.

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    1. Philip has to connect with the 4th (vincent brown) and 5th (randy mcmichael) receiver, when Gates, Jackson and Floyd are not 100%. The catch for Sperry in Denver was fine.

2. The defense has to create Turnovers. That's their duty. (or three and outs)

3. The O-line has to improve for short yardage situations.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    red zone execution
    more blitzing on defense
    replacing Clary/Vasquez w/ Mrzucowski & Dombrowski

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I would like to see our defense and special teams score some touchdowns.

15. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    1. Just getting healthy - having our best players actually on the field is the greatest remedy of all.
    2. Redzone execution - Again the personnel that we need being available will help, but i'd like to see Norv being a bit more creative with the plays.
    3. Run defense - Really looked poor at times yesterday, needs to improve quickly before the Jets game, as they love to run the ball.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Right side of the OL
    Offensive playcalling in the redzone
    Defensive playcalling the whole game

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I keep seeing that everyone wants to fix the red zone execution. That goes all the way back to the draft, we need to draft some high round O lineman. When it comes to the draft everyone seems to want something else, then when it comes down to crunch time we see what we need.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just want to see our offense scoring more TD's (But I'll take them from anywhere) so we can put away bad teams early rather than letting them stick around

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Like how we should have drafted Oher instead of English? Many of us did call for that pick, AJ just doesn't listen ;)

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Red zone offense
    Turnovers (both sides of the ball)
    Protecting/getting to the QB.

Defense has 8 sacks while the other teams have 13. Not terrible but that definitely throws off Rivers rhythm which could be why we are having these red zone struggles. Remember what Rivers did vs Miami? He had no turnovers and we were pretty solid in the red zone (from my memory, feel free to correct me.) So taking out that Miami game, that's 13 sacks in 4 games. Not good.

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    We need beef and we get pork(ed)

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    1, Fix River's.
    2, Grow the o-line some balls.
    3, Implant some heart into the defense.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    PR needs to stop trying to scramble
    Norv needs to find his balls
    defense needs to get the ball to PR sooner

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    D, 5th over all in the league.
    O, 7th over all in the league.

We have things to fix, but rumblings about Coaches needing to find their balls is over inflated at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sorry, but they are 12th in offensive scoring and 13th in points allowed which means WAY more than yardage

26. Boltcru

Boltcru BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Tackling by the Charger defense was bad. I have never seen so many missed tackles in one game. They also made Tebow look better than he is at running. I was at the game. The Donk fans were down and out and we let them back in the game. Same as the game Jan. 2. Come on guys! Don't put me through that in Denver.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why are they at that level in scoring? Three plays? A fumble in the red zone, and two turnovers on 4th downs? I dont see that as a telling stat at all as they are already scroeing more in the red zone, and Rivers and the wide outs are getting more and more on the same page.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If we can't get the ball in the end zone, having a lot of yards means absolutely zero, which is why our #1 defense stat was BS last year. We didn't stop teams from getting in the end zone, we weren't even top 10 in points allowed

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    another point why stats can be over rated. We move the ball up and down the field all day long, we just cant score. Turnovers and Field Goals. Scifres has only 12 punts this season which almost the lowest amount for a punter in the league, yet we are 12th in scoring. Thats why if you just want to read the stats, you have to know whats going on.

• Like Like x 1