1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Top 5's FINAL Rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MtlBoltsFan, Apr 15, 2008.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Here is my final top 5 list everything is in stone. It has taken me a long time to reflect and come up with these final rankings. These rankings do not reflect the order in which the players will be selected.

QB

#1. Matthew Ryan, Boston College
    #2. Joe Flacco, Delaware
    #3. Chad Henne, Michigan (biggest enigma in draft)
    #4. Erik Ainge, Tennessee
    #5. Paul Smith, Tulsa

RB

#1. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
    #2. Darren McFadden, Arkansas
    #3. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
    #4. Kevin Smith, Central Florida
    #5. Matt Forte, Tulane

WR

#1. Mario Manningham, Michigan
    #2. DeSean Jackson, California
    #3. James Hardy, Indiana
    #4. Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt
    #5. Donnie Avery, Houston

TE

#1. Fred Davis, Southern California
    #2. Dustin Keller, Purdue
    #3. Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M
    #4. John Carlson, Notre Dame
    #5. Joey Haynos, Maryland

OT

#1. Jake Long, Michigan
    #2. Ryan Clady, Boise State
    #3. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
    #4. Tony Hills, Texas
    #5. Sam Baker, Southern California

OG

#1. Branden Albert, Virginia
    #2. Roy Schuening, Oregon State
    #3. John Greco, Toledo
    #4. Chilo Rachal, Southern California
    #5. Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers

C

#1. Mike Pollak, Arizona State
    #2. John Sullivan, Notre Dame
    #3. Kory Lichtensteiger, Bowling Green
    #4. Steve Justice, Wake Forest
    #5. Jamey Richard, Buffalo

DE

#1. Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
    #2. Derrick Harvey, Florida
    #3. Phillip Merling, Clemson
    #4. Chris Long, Virginia
    #5. Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

DT

#1. Sedrick Ellis, Southern California
    #2. Glenn Dorsey, Louisiana State
    #3. Trevor Laws, Notre Dame
    #4. Dre Moore, Maryland
    #5. Ahtyba Rubin, Iowa State

OLB

#1. Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech
    #2. Cliff Avril, Purdue
    #3. Jerod Mayo, Tennessee
    #4. Keith Rivers, Southern California
    #5. Erin Henderson, Maryland

ILB

#1. Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma
    #2. Dan Connor, Penn State
    #3. Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt
    #4. Ben Moffitt, South Florida
    #5. JoLonn Dunbar, Boston College

CB

#1. Antoine Cason, Arizona
    #2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
    #3. Mike Jenkins, South Florida
    #4. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
    #5. Leodis McKelvin, Troy

S

#1. Kenny Phillips, Miami (FL)
    #2. Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State
    #3. Thomas DeCoud, California
    #4. Michael Grant, Arkansas
    #5. Jamie Silva, Boston College

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Great list there MTL.

I'm surprised you have Stewart ranked #1 over McFadden for RBs, but it's a great list.

3. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Thanks Thumper here are some explanations...

#1 I know both Stewart and McFadden will be pros for a long time, so I ask myself "who will more likely contribute in a positive manner and be more useful in a superbowl run". On the one hand you have McFadden who has blazing speed and some big runs are going to pad his YPC stats but has fumblitis and doesn't really keep his legs moving/goes down quickly... and you know what I say about these types of backs come playoff time... they are completely ineffective against teams who maintain gap control and you are sure to face multiple teams who control their gaps very well in the playoffs. What I do like about McFadden though is that he doesn't just go out of bounds like LaDainian. But anyway I weighed that against Stewart having the ability to grind out some tough yards/getting consistently positive yards, and being a far more secure ballcarrier. On top of that Stewart also has good enough speed to pile up lots of 20+ yard runs. I just think Stewart's versatility... having the ability to find the hole and burst upfield (although he does not have the pure breakaway speed of McFadden) or using his balance to grind out tough yards... combined with ball security (turnovers kill), makes him a more valuable player to a team.

#2 Mario Manningham is just a little risky long-term because of some character concerns but he was money at Michigan and is extremely skilled at working the sideline and his WR fundamentals are outstanding. He is exceptional at getting separation from defensive backs and looks the most NFL ready on film. He is a better prospect than a guy like Buster Davis was coming out last year, that's for sure. He just looks like he's going to be one hell of a pro as long as he is able to pass his drug tests :lol: If he unquestionably had good character, he would be a top 15 pick no doubt about it.

#3 Michael Grant my #4 safety... I love this guy. He is a true centerfielder and not only did he put up outstanding numbers at the combine... every time I watched Arkansas, he stood out in pass coverage. He is real, real good in zone and has the skills to match up man to man but he can struggle with bigger receivers in this role. He can hold his own in run support although he will never impact the game in this area. I am confident he will succeed in the NFL.

#4 Chris Long my #4 DE... Do people really think he will put up double digit sacks in the NFL? He is going to be a very good and dependable player but I do not see him as the elite player others do and I love Gholston, Harvey and Merling more. To me Long is an 8 sack 50 tackle a season guy who will bring great consistency to a team but I do not feel he will be a "dominant" player in any way whatsoever. He is lacking that extra something-something. I like him as a player a lot but I like the potential the others offer even more and I know all those guys to be serious football players who will not bust. The top of the DE/Rush End class is very strong, that is for sure.

Well I will try to address more things later :yes:

4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    And Mel Kiper had Texas A&M C Cody Wallace as the 25th best senior in the nation at one point. Did you write him a letter too for taking him off his board?

5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    A lot of information has been made available to the general public regarding Mario the past two weeks. I am not a professional scout and don't get any information I might desire about a given player the second I snap my fingertips. If you don't like my rankings, tough. They are final and he is in there for multiple reasons which I would explain if it wasn't "leisure" asking me.

Hay guys can anybody name this current NFL superstar?;

[​IMG]

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    1. leisureworld

1. A fantasy world consisting of the delusions of a single Drew Brees fanatic and San Diego Chargers forum poster named Leisure and his imaginary 'stable girls,' who are female stalkees on the forum drawn into his imaginary world against their will. leisureworld is a self described 'well known internet poster,' whose mock NFL drafts top heavy with some of the biggest busts the NFL has ever seen defy all logic and reason. He calls these draft busts "Leisure Locks."

2. (third person adj.) A third person term denoting leisure, creator of leisureworld ie: "Leisureworld blames Trumpet man for driving Drew Brees out of San Diego

Leisureworld has issued a 'leisure lock' for Chris Henry. Meaning that Chris Henry has just been given a statistical kiss of death because no leisure lock has ever been signed to a second contract with the team who drafted him and most do not last through the first. Other 'leisure locks' in leisureworld include BOTH Mike Williams', WR and OT, perhaps the biggest pair of busts sharing the same name in NFL draft history.
    -----

It's in the dictionary sorry.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Didnt you hear? He got taken off of some teams boards for testing possitive for Marajuana....him and Talib. :yes:

Talib tho is said to have other issues but some team will take him because he has fast . Jerry Jones loves the guy.

I now have Manningham late 2nd round . He was a 2nd rounder anyways before that.

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Mario has conducted himself very well with regard to the marijuana thing and IMO he has convinced me he can focus on football. The 49ers and Raiders are looking at him HARD. The Chargers even gave him a look supposedly. His talent is undeniable on film. Strictly looking at football talent he is the best WR in the draft. Sweed and Thomas do not compare. I don't care about his height, Manningham can be a #1 in the NFL :yes:

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    BTW BoltJolt I loved your mock draft where you had Keith Rivers at the end of the 1st :lol: Dude will probably end up being way overdrafted because of his numbers. He'll play in the NFL but never be an impact player IMO.

10. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah well i am working toward making my final mock and i have just over 3 rounds done( in the early 4th) and i have made some changes and one of them is i have Rivers going #12 now to Denver.

I agree with you about him but i do think a team will grab him early and i think Shanarat is the man who will do it. If not he could fall that far but i think he will pull the trigger. The days of Ian Gold are over!!! or should be anyways.

Thats how it is right now and i do like trying to project what i think teams might do as oppose to always using what i feel about the players. Of course that is hard to do without some sort of contact like Mel Kiper has but i try anyways.

Ill be tweaking it as i fill it in here and there before i let it out.

Think Pacman is going to get traded? Looks like he is trying to play games with Dallas by saying he will wait till he is traded till he files for rienstatement. What idiot GM would trade for him before he is even allowed to play again? :lol:

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I know, Rivers seems like a Shanahan type of guy but I still feel for some reason that Shanahan will pull the first surprise of the draft and take Jonathan Stewart 12 overall. If Rivers goes to the Broncos that's just good news for the Chargers. I mean think of it this way, if you are the Chargers would you rather go up against Keith Rivers or Jonathan Stewart? But anyway, mock drafts aren't about how good the players are but rather how smart or stupid the GM is :yes:

12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    By the way a reliable source just guaranteed me the other day that Derrick Harvey is going Top 10.

Also, the Lions are supposedly drooling over Harvey and want to try to make a move for him.

13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    What is it about Chris Long that has dropped him out of the top five in the estimation of NFL scouts? Your colleague, Eric Edholm, alludes to the possibility that New England may not be in love with his skill set ("The Patriots don't hate Chris Long, I promise") either, which is surprising considering the connection Belichick has to Al Groh. Obviously this comes as a shock because media outlets have been projecting him as the best player in the draft for months. I also find it interesting that PFW's Combine results show that Long ran a 4.84 40-yard dash, not the 4.75 elsewhere publicized. Have 4-3 teams downgraded him as a result, projecting him to a strong-side DE, instead of a weak-side pass rusher?

— Joe Finley

Joe,

Great questions. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick love pedigree. Just look at some of their selections over the years, from Bobby Carpenter to Marion Barber to Dan Klecko, all of whom have fathers who played in the NFL. Both coaches are football historians and hold a deep respect for those who have come before them. They also have ties, as does Eric Mangini, to Al Groh and the Virginia football staff. Even more than most teams, they could feel very safe drafting a player with Hall of Fame bloodlines who played for a former colleague.

Honestly, I do not know that Chris Long will wind up slipping out of the top five. When that mock draft was written at the beginning of the month, that was the way I was hearing it would fall from extensive conversations with team sources. As of today, Chris Long actually seems to be gaining a little momentum.

For anyone to project him as the best player in this draft I think would be surprising —I certainly have not heard a single evaluator ever reference him as that. He is a well-trained, highly productive football player. However, as you singled out with his 40-times that we reported, which were averaged from the hand-held results at the Combine — not the best electronic time, which was initially released by the NFL to encourage players to perform at the workout — the reality is that I do NOT think Long is an elite athlete. And if you watch the tape of some of the better competition he has faced, such as Boston College and Pittsburgh and even Texas Tech, I think you’ll see that he struggled to make his presence felt as a pass rusher.

As you mentioned, his best fit in a 4-3 front would be as a strong-side, base end — which still holds a lot of value, but arguably not as much as a premium pass rusher who consistently pressures the quarterback.

Bottom line: Chris Long does not show the burst to get to the quarterback off the edge on third downs, he is light and narrow-framed to play inside and he has little experience from a rush LB role. As a result, any 3-4 team that drafts him in the top 10 to be a 3-4 outside ’backer would be making a projection, which is usually a very scary proposition to make at any position in the draft’s top 10, given the investment that the selections require.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    BTW.......Jamie Silva is going to go undrafted. Perhaps a 7th rounder but i think he will go undrafted.

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    BTW...

I agree.

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    If you agree then why is he in your top 5 for safeties? :icon_shrug:

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    That's why.

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I like Silva as well. I didn't get to see too many BC games, but whenever I did get to see one, Silva always seemed to be making big plays. Plus, the guy would be killer on special teams, and I think that he would make an NFL roster even if he goes undrafted.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    He will definitely be on an NFL roster due to his special teams ability at the very least. The guy doesn't care about his body. He goes out there and lays his body on the line. Supposedly a lot of teams have been showing interest in him but again that would likely be as a late round pick or priority free agent. While Silva might lack straight line speed, supposedly his workouts have been amazing. 40 times are a lot about preparation, getting a clean release, running with balance, etc... I am positive Silva could run like 4.66-4.69 if he put lots of effort into it. That would be an acceptable time for a SS.

Silva was actually a standout running back in high school.

The bottom line is this guy is always around the ball, has great hands, is a great tackler, and plays without fear. Coaches will love him. One of the most enjoyable plays I saw last year in college football was when Silva just grabbed the ball out of the opposing player's hands and returned it for a touchdown. I just have a good feeling about him but there is also a chance he could forever remain just a special teams standout/3rd string safety.

This pretty much sums up what type of player he is in run support...

On 192 pass plays targeted into his area, he intercepted 12 tosses, deflected seven others and prevented the opposition from getting to 57 other throws, as they averaged 3.77 yards per pass attempt vs. Silva...He also produced 73 stops on third-down plays, including 36 vs. the run, adding 13 stops on fourth-down over the last three seasons...Also made 29 tackles inside the red zone, with 19 coming on goal-line plays during that span...

Dude should have no problem being inserted as a safety or even linebacker in goal line situations as he is the type of guy who will just lower his head and explode over the line. He makes clutch plays.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sounds like another Weddle. :tup:

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Weddle is a much better natural athlete and has refined coverage technique with fluid hips and a good backpedal, but in terms of size and how they both think the game, you are right they are similar. Silva is much more aggressive on the field yet he doesn't tend to overpursue. They both have small hands yet both are actually sure-handed. Silva has the advantage in run support while Weddle has the much greater advantage in man coverage. Forget about man coverage with Silva but he should be fine sitting back in zone. Both lack great leaping ability to compete with big receivers. Basically with Silva you are getting a guy who is great in run support, who will kill receivers going over the middle and who can pick off wobblers and break on balls in front of him. He needs to play in a scheme where the game will be in front of him. Dude fits in a cover 2 really. I think Silva will end up with the Buccaneers. Seems like a Jon Gruden type of player.

Silva can basically be grouped with guys like Jeremy Leman the LB from Illinois... these guys lack natural athleticism to impress in the offseason but when these guys are put on a football field they just have such a natural feel for the game.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So where would you project? Early third? :icon_shrug:

I think we're trading down, getting a mid-second, early third for #27. Atlanta wants someone like Dorsey AND a QB (Brohm). The second would be OL, the third someone like Silva.

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Well like I just said and BoltJolt said too, Silva will likely be a 7th rounder, maybe UDFA, maybe (at best) a 6th rounder. Teams just have a hard time pulling the trigger on a safety who runs 4.78. Nfldraftscout projects Silva as a 4th-5th rounder. If I were a GM I would personally start looking at him in the mid 5th but I don't think anyone will take him there. Silva actually put up an adequate 10 yard dash time at 1.53.

I would like to trade down from #27 for a 2nd and 3rd if Antoine Cason is not available.

We could spend one of those picks on a running back (Tashard Choice, Matt Forte, Kevin Smith... there will be a good RB available guaranteed) and then we could spend the other one on a defensive or offensive lineman. Then we could get our cornerback with our 5th round compensatory pick and since the CB class is so loaded it is likely that a guy like Jack Williams (Kent State) or Trae Williams (USF) or Zach Bowman (Nebraska) or even a Terrence Wheatley would still be available there. CB class is too loaded for there to not be a quality nickelback or potentially even more, available at the end of the 5th. Then in the 6th we could draft my boy Eric Foster from Rutgers if he is still available :yes:

I agree trading down makes the most sense but it takes two to tango.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Missed the part about possibly a UDFA.

I'm thinking Atlanta will want to dance.

25. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I was thinking the same but probably not. Here's why...

If Atlanta passes on Matt Ryan at #3 and is secretly in love with a guy like Joe Flacco or Chad Henne or even Brian Brohm, they could package 2-17 and 3-5 to move to #27 to select one of those guys if they believe a team like Green Bay or Miami wants a QB... but given that they hold the 3rd pick in the 2nd round and that it is unlikely that either team will draft a QB... I just don't see this happening. Also, if they like two out of these three QB's they are certain that at least one if them would be there just in case. I think we might have a tough time trading down. We might be forced to exercise the pick and if there is nobody there worthy of our 1st rounder, we might have to reach just a little to grab someone we like.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm eager to see what happens. What Miami does will have a big impact on the other first 5 or 6 & they could be going in a multitude of directions. Although I don't think he's a #1 pick, right now I'm leaning towards Miami going with Howie's kid. Watched him play, UVa is just up the road from me. He's gonna be steady, but nothing particularly exciting.

For my BT mock I had DR-C falling to us. More likely Brandon Flowers or one of the safeties behind Kenny Phillips. I don't think that AJ wants to use a 1st rounder for the OL. Just a feeling.

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Here are some rumors I have heard...

-Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said Jake Long to Miami is a smokescreen

-St. Louis supposedly doesn't like Vernon Gholston

-Atlanta will likely pass on Matt Ryan because their GM traditionally knows the importance of finding a quality defensive lineman (Seymour, Wilfork, etc... Dimitroff played a part in their selection).

HOWEVER Dimitroff was a quarterback and as a quarterback the dude MUST have respect for Matt Ryan. Atlanta is guaranteed to select either Dorsey or Ryan OR I have even heard they are fielding offers for the 3rd pick as New Orleans is desperate for a defensive tackle.

-Leodis McKelvin will NOT go to the Patriots

-There are rumors that Al Davis does not want Chris Long.

-Buffalo Bills will not force themselves into taking a WR or CB.

-Detroit Lions are zeroed in on Rashard Mendenhall because they believe Derrick Harvey will be taken before.

-Houston Texans are dying to select Vanderbilt LT Chris Williams

-Tampa Bay Buccaneers are zoned in on either Mike Jenkins or DeSean Jackson.

--------
    BTW ya'll gotta keep your eye on Thomas Dimitroff. This guy could become the premiere GM in the league very soon. I have a LOT of respect for him which is why I am also beginning to think he will in fact draft Matt Ryan #3 as that is what I personally would do as I think Matt Ryan will become an elite NFL quarterback.