1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Top draft picks?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VenomSyndrome, Nov 9, 2015.

1. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Seeing how the only thing we are competing for this year is an LA trademark and draft position who looks good for this year's draft?

I can almost guarantee they'll win at the end to spite of there fans but I guess that's the life of a Charger fan

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Yeah, I mean I expect a top 10 pick, but I have a feeling we'll be in the 11-14 range. Rivers, literally never gives up. The only way we land a top 5 pick is if Rivers gets hurt and Clemens/Sorensen is the starter.

3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    2 games against DEN, 2 against KC, and 1 against OAK stands to put us at 11 losses before 50/50 games against MIA, CHI and @JAC.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's an interesting class. No truly outstanding QB prospect (sort of like the 2008 class where there are guys with potential to be guys you can build around but no one truly outstanding or with elite tools. Arguably some similarities in that regard to the 2014 class as well. The out and out top prospect Joey Bosa, I fear, may be pretty much a pure 4-3 DE; capable of bulking up to play 3-4 DE, but you're kind of wasting his talents doing that. That said, I remember having similar misgivings about Cam Jordan and look how he turned out.

The guy I'd be keeping my fingers crossed for would be Robert Nkemdiche out of Ole Miss; he'll draw Leonard Williams comparisons but I'm not convinced he's quite as athletic - he does play very similarly though and has everything you want in a 3-4 DE that will collapse the pocket.

It's still fairly early in the process, but I'm already starting to sour on some of the guys that are being pimped by Big Draft Media just because I'm really not seeing on tape what they seem to be hyping - at least not the sort of flashes you expect to see from a guy you're excited to invest a 1st round selection in. I've been souring on DeForest Buckner - not that he's "just a guy" but I don't think he's special. I've got Leonard Floyd out of Georgia red flagged for at least three different reasons and don't think he's an edge-rusher at the next level (I'd actually take his teammate Jordan Jenkins over him if I'm a 3-4 team looking for an EDGE rusher). I really don't get the Shilique Calhoun hype. Same goes for Oakman - who looks more hype than substance.

The single safest Top 10 pick is likely Vernon Hargreaves out of Florida who looks like he's cut form the same cover-corner cloth that Joe Haden was. Emanuel Ogbah out of Oklahoma state is kind of sitting where I had Bud Dupree this time last year - I more or less get the hype, but I've still got a lot of question-marks when it comes to him. Not really sure "where he wins" consistently. He flashes explosion and has fantastic production, but so did Dante Fowler and I had him fading down the stretch the closer and closer the draft came last year as I still had that same question about "where was he going to win consistently" at the next level.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm relatively confident we'll end up splitting with KC. They're similarly banged up and (yes, we lost to Mike Vick... I get it) Alex Smith is just an ultra-conservative QB. Not saying it's going to be pretty or an impressive win by any sense, but they're as much a 50/50 team up against us as any at this point because of their offensive limitations sans Charles and offensive line consistency. Figure one game where Kelce carves us up and one where we nullify him enough that we win by a FG or something.

6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Players I like
    Dbs:jalen ramsey Florida state
    Jayron kearse s Clemson
    Makenzie Alexander cb Clemson

Dlineman: Robert nkimdiche de ole miss

That's it for right now

7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I don't expect blowouts, but KC is way more talented than we are.

8. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Our problems are insurmountable, unless we can get players back on the field. Our defense can't even stop the miserable Bears and our offense has a Formula 1 driver for a cart with no wheels.

I say we will have a top 5 pick. Now, what to do with it, especially considering the lack of playmakers/quality backups in all positions and the upcoming FAs? Is there a first 5 pick which will change our fortunes? I doubt it. I would already be looking at what I can get in the next two drafts for that pick. We simply need more (and better) players.

9. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Trade down...this team has more holes than a block of good Swiss Cheese.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The issue is that the quantity over quality strategy only goes so far. It's always a nice fantasy to believe you can trade out of a Top 5 pick, recoup a windfall of picks, and then have a blue chip talent - the "playmakers" that everyone bemoans we 'don't have enough of" - fall into your lap in the late teens or early twenties picks (which is where you typically have to go down to from a Top 5 pick in order to recoup that "windfall"). That's not much in line with reality. The reality is that barring the rare instances of morons like Jeff Ireland trading up after falling for the allure of a Dion Jordan (which even still only netted the Raiders a 2nd round selection to move back from #3 to #12), the players that GM's are trading up into the Top 5 (barring QB's) are the blue-chip talents.

It's really one or the other, because the incidence of both is extremely low probability: Do you want play-makers (the guys that opposing teams have no choice but to gameplan around) or multiple "very good but likely never great" starters.

Banish the idea that you're going to "fill all the holes" on the team in a single draft or single offseason. That's another fantasy; sure it can happen, but the probability is minute. You can, however, put impact players in the right spots to where the holes that you do still possess are considerably less noticeable and less impactful. Plenty of piss-poor talent secondaries have been covered up by high-end pass-rush. For God's sake, Run-Fall-Break DMC is an effective running back in Dallas because they built up an OL (via investing premium picks in blue-chip players) capable of making just about any running back capable of hitting a hole and finding second gear in open space a productive rusher. We see all the time how great QB's make mid-level talent receivers look like stars - then those receivers leave in free agency to teams with lesser QB's and flounder. Seattle, just as an instance, has been able to have a rotating door opposite Richard Sherman - a rotating door that is constantly targeted because he's playing opposite Richard Sherman - and not see fall-off from their secondary's performance because they saw the opportunity to seize a blue-chip (special-kind-of) talent in Earl Thomas and stuck him in centerfield to effectively take away their corners needing to be nearly as fearful of being beaten over the top - thus allowing them to play more aggressively, at the line and in coverage.

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Good points. I was not inferring that we would fill all -- or even most -- of the holes in this roster in one shot, that just does not happen when a team such as the Chargers is just this side of a needed full-bore rebuild.

It's probably just my frustration with the way this team has deteriorated over the last 3 seasons, but right now I have little faith in anything this team does.