1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Top Ten Gutsiest Performances: Philip Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

By Tim Graham​

The concept of an "elite" quarterback can be vague and differs from person to person. ​

My definition might not be as strict or liberal as yours. ​

In a column for ESPN.com, senior writer John Clayton lays out 14 quarterbacks he deems elite, and there might be a couple surprises. ​

Tom Brady is the AFC East's only representative, and rightfully so. Nobody else in the division comes close to warranting inclusion. ​

But some of the names should spark discussion. Take a look at Clayton's list and weigh in below in the comments section: ​

No quarterback is asked to throw more high-risk, high-reward passes than Philip Rivers, so Ryan learned from the San Diego Chargers QB's tapes about throwing outside the numbers to tall receivers along the sidelines.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
  4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    For a piece that was supposed to honor Rivers for a performance among the "gutsiest" of all time, they sure managed to take swipes at him. :tdown:

This video continues to promote the myth that Rivers' talking was nothing more than bad sportsmanship. I don't understand why the media has bent over backward to frame Jay Cutler's *obnoxious* behavior as somehow being evidence of his honesty, leadership, and competitive fire, while Rivers has been chartacterized as a blowhard.... :icon_huh:

And this despite Jay Cutler's failure to reach the NFL's playoffs, or even to achieve a winning record during an NFL season. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Yeah I did love that the comments were made that maybe he shouldn't have played and he clearly under threw certain receivers. I remember questioning it myself when I learned the severity of the injury. I'll grant you some of those questions are valid points.

But if your celebrating going out there and putting it all on the line that crap doesn't have a place there. I don't see other of those odes to guts involving questions of whether they should've played of not. That's some bush league BS

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Yes, that's the point.

Honor Rivers for his gutsy play, OR criticize him for hurting his team by playing injured. Just pick one or the other.

I have no problem with choosing NOT to honor Rivers for playing in that game. Just don't present it as "We're honoring you!" only to essentially call him a selfish "I put myself before the team" kind of guy.

It's like saying, "We want to honor you, Rainman-- the ugly guy-- and Anteater-- the fat guy-- for your contributions to this forum!"

Gosh, what a compliment! :icon_mad:

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I :wub: Philip Rivers.

Major man-love :yes:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did you just let Sydalish access your login? :lol:

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    His last name is Manning, so I think the media is still required to fondle his sack, even though he is merely a slightly above average QB.

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Always love how they show that bitter old f*ck Kuchenberg crying like a b*tch when they show Winslow.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    At this point in his career, I wouldn't call Palmer elite either. He hasn't been elite since he blew out his knee

12. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Elite in order: Brees, Peyton, Rivers, Accused Rapist, Aaron Rodgers just got there, Brady (maybe slipped off the edge, we will see this year)....McNabb just slipped off but he was....Romo at times seems almost there....Apparently Favre is but it seems like only every other year recently and he was last year....