1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tourette syndrome

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tboltzcali, Dec 22, 2006.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Anyone have any info on this?

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I know alot about it... (No I don't have it but have a good friend and a family member with it)You know where to find me..

3. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    I took my youngest to the doctor and he said hes 90% sure has the syndrome. Kind of a bummer to start the holiday season. He said that theres nothing I can to and that its an up and down thing. Thank god he doesnt have it to the severity of the syndrome. It started with one eye tics and then his neck. I havent noticed it of late but the doc said it goes up and down, the signs..meaning he could be showing the sign alot then it would go down to a minimal sign. Im just glad its not a life threatening disorder.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,844
    I am sorry to hear about tht bro. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

5. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    tboltzcali!
    My little neighbor Jason has Tourette syndrome. Let me tell you something about that now young man. When he was about five or six years old, he would come over to play. All of the little ones were sitting on a little Tykes bench. Jason kept doing this thing. "huh!" huh! huh!. One of the kids sitting there asked him if he was okay. He said "My Mom say's I have a Tic in my tummy. " All of the kids were instantly interested! Asking him questions, etc. Dumb Steph thought he had an actual "TICK" in his tummy. Jason with the help of meds and his family and counseling is doing awesome to this day. He is now 21 years old and going strong. BTW....he is the cutest thing!:yes:

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Another thing...

Forget everything you've seen about Tourettes in the the movies. ;) This is not a fair or accurate representation of the condition.

Next. This is usally a condition of childhood and the symptoms generally lessen or become much more manageable in adulthood. At any time the symptoms are bothersome to the patient or others, there are many options for medication or therapy that are available.

Next. Check out the TSA Tourette Society of America (I think that's the official name) I've heard this is an excellent source of support and information on Tourette Syndrome.

Next: If this is a child, get with the school and do an IEP... Individualized Education Plan.... if there are any educational issues... If nothing else, let the school know of the condition so they can be alert to any conflicts/problems.

7. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    i took notes on it recently in my Psycology class, from what i can remember without going to get my notes(im lazy today) is that if some1 with the syndrome tries to resist a shout or a twitch then it builds up, it doesnt just go away like if u fight down a sneeze, it actually strenghtens, so instead of a small jump in the fingers an entire arm can just go crazy.

8. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    I actually know what an IEP is. I deal with these at work, so Im pretty familar in this area. Im not too sure about this decision the doctor made. I must seek another opinion. I do see some effects of it but then again, I dont. His eye tics havent been noticeable like before. Im not too sure if thats part of TS or not. The doc did say they are strong and then they do receed. I havent noticed my son ticcing within the last month or so. I was very noticeable and people would tell me to get him checked.

9. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    A second opinion would definitely be the way to go. Please look to have him evaluated by someone familiar with TS as well as other similar conditions. Do you have a childrens' hospital in your area. If not, the drive to a childrens hospital, IMO, would be time well spent.

In my experience, to be diagnosed with TS, one must have both motor and vocal tics together for one year. Eye tics are one of the most common motor tics of TS. Vocal tics can be as mild as throat clearing sounds. Symptoms of this condition often wax and wane.

Whether this diagnosis is correct or not, I do know what you must be feeling, as I rememer my sister's reaction when her daughter was diagnosed with TS.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Here is a link with aload of info on Tourettes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_Syndrome