1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Deadlines coming up Tuesday..

Derrick Mason has been shipped from the Jets to the Texans
    Robert Mathis to the Jets?..
    Reggie Wayne to the Bills?..
    Kyle Orton to the Dolphins?..

All this is is speculation so far from ESPNs Adam Schefter.. It would be the league alot more interesting if this all went down.. thoughts?

2. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Wonder if we'll hear any .... to SD rumors...

It'd be nice if we made a little pickup, maybe a safety or LB, but not sure if we will.

Can't see Wayne going to the Bills, Peyton surely wouldn't wanna see Wayne get traded?
    Orton to the Dolphins makes sense, unless they are tanking to try and get Luck, they could ship out Reggie Bush though, they don't seem overly happy with him and Daniel Thomas has done well.

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    This is what I want to see: Suh and Megatron to the Chargers for a Charger Girl to be named later....

• Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Colts won't trade Mathis to the Jets.....A) He's a great player. B) The Jets can't afford him.

Wayne to Bills...I like it a lot.
    Orton to Dolphins....I hope he starts against Tebow in a couple weeks.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The NFL trading deadline is always duller then any other sports' trading dead line

• Like Like x 1
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Orton to Dolphins is the only real possibility I see here. With Peyton coming back from injury next year they aren't gonna give up Reggie Wayne only to have a ailing Manning come back and Garcon be his #1.....Sorry IMHO not gonna happen.

Same thing goes for Robert Mathis. The Colts are not gonna have a fire sale because Peyton is down for the rest of the season just to pick up a couple of scrubs in the draft. The Jets are to high in payroll and will not be able to take on his contract.

Orton will be gone most likely not sure to who, although the Dolphins seem to be a good fit, and so does Kansas City but probably wouldn't get shipped into the same division. Sorry but Matt Cassell has failed miserably, and not that Orton is much better but he is an upgrade from Cassel.

7. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I hope Orton goes to the Fins, and then beats the Broncos.

That would be the best thing ever.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Honestly.. the Colts don't really need Wayne.. call me crazy but there going to get a top 5 picks.. and the kid Blackmon out of OK State looks really good for them.. They won't want to pick up Wayne's contract when they can get a draft pick out of him rather than losing him in the offseason for nothing.. so this move makes sense.. they still have

Austin Collie, who is a for sure number 1 when Wayne leaves, Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez, and Blair White and possibly a top prospected WR.. Trust me, Peyton throwing them the ball makes there job so much easier and makes them look alot better..

Mathis deal as well.. His contract is up and the Colts can get another pick out of him rather than lose him for nothing..

others that are rumored include - Brandon Lloyd, Osi Umenyiora, and even Carson Palmers name is being thrown out there

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Are you forgetting that we ALREADY let go of Cromartie? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The Broncos may occasionally make a few questionable decisions, but they’re not stupid enough to trade their just demoted starting quarterback to a team that they will play next week.

I remember in 2006 when we traded with Tennessee to acquire Billy Volek, and although the move was speculated on for quite awhile, we played the Titans in Week 2 and our bye was in Week 3, so the trade was completed virtually right after the game.

Also notable in that game, (a 40-7 blowout) our rookie QB Charlie Whitehurst scored his 1st NFL touchdown on a 14 yard run in “garbage time”.

Ther trading deadline will occur before the Denver @ Miami game, and after that Orton would have to clear waivers in order to be traded, so the odds of Kyle Orton becoming a Dolphin are negligible at best.

11. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Lmao the Colts don't really need Wayne? Seriously? Teams game plan for this guy week in and week out with shotty QB play and he is still having a decent year. You need to lay off the sauce if you think Austin Collie is a bonified #1 in the NFL. Garcon is a better option than Collie....Wayyyyyy better option. Neither Collie nor Gonzo have really been healthy enough in their career to say that they are worthy of a #1 on any team.

The problem that most have with evaluating WR's is that they don't take in to consideration the scheme they play in, and what is around them. Collie, Gonzo, and Garcon all have their numbers inflated because of Reggie Wayne. ( See T.J. Houshmanzadeh when he was in Cincinnati) Reggie Wayne simply opens up more for those other guys and is Peyton Manning's go to guy.

Now going off the the Colts are gonna get a top 5 pick. This I do agree with however, with Manning in the condition he is in do you think that a WR is what they are probably gonna be looking at picking that high? Could be, but IMO they will be trying to protect or replace him in that spot. They will probably get a big ugly up front or maybe a replacement QB. Cause god knows that Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins are not worthy back up's. Just saying.

12. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yah, forgot. Think we could find Sammy Davis in whatever crack house he's in now and use him as trade bait? He was a former 1st round pick.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Sammy Davis?!? Yeah, I always suspected that glass eye was going to be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The Dolphins would be stupid to trade for Orton right now. They're not going to compete anyway, just see what happens and see if you win the Luck sweepstakes.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    But he could do one mean halftime show! ;)

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That sir is an insult to the great singer and performer. I will not stand for such

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well... Your sitting right now aincha? Or do you always stand to surf the web?! ;)

Kazinga! :roflmao:

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Hes going to be 33 next month.. he has 22 receptions and 1 td this year.. Garcon has 4 tds.. Maybe saying Collie is a number 1 was a little far fetched but he has potential.. and the fact they still have Dallas Clarks old *** too they can get a solid WR in the draft..

I don't think they need a QB with the top 5 pick to be honest.. Painter looks good enough.. 33 of 68, 618 yards, 4 tds, NO INTS.. now he isn't the most accurate but I think a WR would do them good..

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Brandon Lloyd is on the trading block as well people..

20. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    "
    One more piece for the Lions

In spite of Jahvid Best's dandy game Monday night, the Lions could still benefit from a more rugged runner like Mike Tolbert. Thanks to the (slightly belated) emergence of Ryan Mathews, the Chargers can afford to part ways with Tolbert. In exchange, Detroit can send San Diego a very capable pass-catching tight end in Tony Scheffler, who'd help fill the massive void left by Antonio Gates. Perfect!"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-dealt-at-deadline?module=HP11_content_stream

I think Hester could fill the void of Tolbert now that RM is beasting it up like a 12th overall pick should, and scheffler would be a decent Gates replacement seeing as we have very little TE production now-a-days. I'd be cool with this trade

21. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Am I the only one who thinks Tolbert is worth more than Tony Scheffler? Hell i think McMichael is as good as Tony is!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    As good as Ryan Mathews has been looking this year, he was hurt a lot last season and he’s hurt again now. Trading away Mike Tolbert would be quite stupid unless we could totally rape someone in the trade like we did to the Giants in 2004 to get Philip Rivers. If Mathews misses any time, Tolbert keeps our run game viable and Randy McMichael is doing the job at tight end in Antonio Gates’ absence.

If Detroit were willing to part with one of their pass rushers though, I’d be willing to talk….

• Like Like x 2
  23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Again...I think your failing to look at the big picture. With Manning out and little to no run game, teams are going to game plan the run and take Reggie Wayne out of the picture to make Garcon, Collie, and Gonzo beat them.

I'm not saying that your opinion is 100% not right it could happen. But talking stats about a guy who is gonna be constantly double teamed because of the lack of QB and running game is gonna open up other things for Garcon, Collie, and Gonzo. Dallas Clark is like Antonio Gates in their offense.....Alot of the plays in their system are setup and designed strictly for him so he is gonna get his regardless.

I just think it would be foolish to trade a guy that can still produce in that offense, to get a guy in the draft that may take a year or two before he fully comes out. And their is no guarantee that even as good as Blackmon is that he will be a stud reciever in the NFL.

IMO it could happen but the chances are slim. All im saying.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If Matthews wasn't constantly going to the locker room for injuries I'd be fine with trading Tolbert for TE help.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    hmmmm.. very interesting here.. I don't think they'll make the move but certainly worthy of discussion..

I mean I would love for them to take a shot at Kellen Winslow, father was a former Bolt, and Tampa needs a RB to fill Blount's shoes for the few weeks coming..

You never know.. I think Hester can fill the void but also Todman or Brinkley as well..

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    yes I agree.. I think Lloyd to Buffalo might be more realistic then Wayne now.. i don't know if they will pick up his contract still though..

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agree. I love RM, but we all saw how Norv ran him into the ground this last week while Tolbert was injured. We need a solid backup with good hands, who can pass block, and get short yardage. Sheffler isn't enough of an upgrade over McMichael.

28. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And we still have Boonah...

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This.

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Could we use Hester and Todman more in that role as a sold backup RB and bring in Summers to be the FB?