1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Post anything discussion worthy, news or rumors here in the trade deadline thread. Didn't see one, so decided to create one. I expect a few moves at the deadline, nothing huge.

Deadline - November 3rd, 2015 - 4 pm EST

2. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Here's one..

Jerod Mayo. Patriots looking to offload him, especially the scheme they're running, with only 2 LB's on the field for more than 75% of plays. Mayo had 0 snaps last week and has had a very low number of snaps this year.

He's a great ILB when healthy, and if it doesn't work out, I believe his dead money number is around $4m in 2016. Think he'd be a great 2 down ILB and serve as a great mentor to Perryman and Te'o. Could really help with their development. He's a great locker room guy as well and may have a point to prove to the Patriots and the league that he can still play at a high level. It's not that he isn't playing well, Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower have been that good this year.

He can most likely be had for a 6th rounder, and we have 2 of those this year.

3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I haven't looked at the snaps played and have not studied the Patriots that much, but the depth charts that I have seen have the Patriots playing a base 4-3 with Collins, Hightower and Mayo all playing. Obviously, if Mayo isn't playing, they aren't running that. What is their current starting lineup at LB? Are changes due to injury or a coaching decision?

If healthy, Mayo is great value for a 6th round pick to be sure, but why would the Patriots, as Super Bowl contenders, trade him after they traded to get Bostic? If he is healthy and is playing up to his past level of performance, then he represents great quality depth for them in case of an injury even if he is not currently getting any snaps.

And why would the Patriots be willing to accept only a 6th rounder in return? That's what we got for Sirles. Isn't Mayo much better than that?

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Mayo is awesome when he's healthy.

When he played so well as a rook in '08, I thought:
    "Oh, jeez, the Chargers do not need to face this guy for the next ten years."

But 15 starts in the last two and a half seasons is a big red flag.
    Chargers are already well-stocked with injured guys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    That's part of the risk. However looking at how depleted with injuries we are we should demand a healthy player even at the cost of talent.

Any OL out there for trade?

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    It's classic Belicheck.

I heard this on the radio this morning, here is a snippet from an article..

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    You don't pay an LB $6m a year to play with limits. I believe last week he got 0 snaps against the Jets.

He still has something left in the tank, I'm sure of it.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Sell sell sell

9. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I've just sent an email to the Chargers. I've offered to trade $25.75*, a tin of soup, a painting that my wife did** and an old sock*** for Donald Brown. I don't really want him but I'm sure I can find him some stuff to do round the house to keep him busy, cut the grass, tidy the attic. Got a camp bed in the big shed for him, if he does a good job I might let him come in the house but only if it snows.

I know I've overpaid but I haven't asked for any draft picks so that should keep some happy.

You're welcome...

#takingonefortheteam

* it's all the $ we had left from our last trip to the US
    ** it's good she's talented
    *** if I find the other one they can have it too

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I understand why the Patriots might consider trading Mayo. That isn't the issue. The issue is the timing of a trade. A trade in season for a draft pick gives the Patriots nothing that they can't get by trading him after the season is over. If they don't trade him during the season, they can use him as a high quality reserve as they push to return to the Super Bowl.

They have to realize this, so I think there is no way that he will be traded unless they get a specific currently active NFL player in return that they think will help put them over the top this year.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I agree. We need draft picks.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    If there is no possibility of re-signing Weddle, why not deal him? Especially if we lose Sunday..

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    They have plenty of quality reserves. The Patriots don't need 'high quality' reserves, they have an amazing coaching staff that plays to their player's strengths, they can get by just fine.

They will most likely be looking for CB/SS.

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    If we get value, I am good with that.

By the way, I just looked at Mayo's contract. His cap figure is over $11M--pass.

15. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Okay, that is crazy. The Patriots built a winner on the back of acquiring extra draft picks and building quality depth. They did that for years.

That's also how the 49ers and Seahawks built their teams into contenders in recent seasons. That's how the Cardinals have built up their team.

It is about building quality depth through the draft. Even in the most extreme of cases, talent matters many times more than coaching does. Bill Belichick couldn't take a team with the talent of this year's Lions to the Super Bowl, but Norv Turner would have a good chance of getting the current Patriots squad to a Super Bowl.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    ?

Jonathan Freeny gets more snaps than Mayo. He is a reserve. The Patriots play in a 2 LB scheme. Collins and Hightower play 100% of the snaps and when they need a breather, like last night, Jonathan Freeny is ahead of Mayo on the depth chart. They also have Bostic who they traded for as well as Fletcher who's ready to come off the PUP, which is why they're considering a trade.

His cap hit is high, but he's basically gotten all his guaranteed money. I can guarantee you he'd be an improvement over Donald Butler ;)

17. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Spotrac has his cap hit at $11M+ for 2016. If that isn't right, that could change my view. Since he has a pulse, I will assume that he is better than Butler.

I still don't see the Patsies trading in season unless they get a player. After the season, it could be a pick or a player.

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    I'd bet that his crotch affliction will go away if you throw a few million at him, he will even do the splits to pick up that money and be cured!

19. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I don't agree. You can't have too much depth on your injured reserve roster.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is the problem right there. IT is not really healthy..
    Its good on a samich though.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Do we have anyone that anybody would like?

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Just speculation here, I don't believe that anyone would want to make a trade with this team. For starters, we don't have anyone healthy enough to trade...

• Useful Useful x 1
  23. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    We have an HC, DC and OC that are healthy to trade

• Like Like x 2
  24. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Sure, but who wants the box of oily rags we would get in return?

25. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    pick up jarryd hayne and dump JJ

• Creative Creative x 1
  26. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,726
    ^^^At least Hayne plays with intensity...

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It sounds like the Browns are trying to trade all their horrible inexcusably stupid draft picks over the last couple years. (Mingo, Gilbert, possibly Manziel)

28. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I agree. Not sure what we have that anyone would want though.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I rarely find myself agreeing with Chain, but I'm completely onboard with him here. Mayo's production and value was and always has been bolstered by the scheme the Patriots were running for a number of years, particularly those when they lacked true stand-out edge rushers and were depending on the likes of Rob Ninkovich partnered by various veterans discarded from other teams like Derrick Burgess. Mayo is expendable now because Donta Hightower has effectively usurped his position as the roving tackler wearing the green dot on his helmet, and Jamie Collins is a superior player (in terms of ceiling and on field performance) which keeps Mayo out of the lineup barring an injury. It's salary dump and Belichick trying to acquire a bunch of those late rounders he loves.

Unless we're getting a phenomenal deal, I don't see this as a team that should be buyers on any big ticket trade bait, with very few exceptions.

There's rumblings that the Browns may be making Joe Thomas and Alex Mack available. I see the sense in Mack for them, because he's made it clear he's not re-signing with the club, however any team acquiring him is likely also committing to slapping the franchise tender on him next year if not paying him top-center money (and probably by a distinct margin) because he's wanted to test the market for two years now. Thomas would represent a great deal, except that I'm fairly certain that due to his value to Cleveland (in that they wouldn't be just unloading him to unload him - they're looking for a sweetheart deal as in a 1st-plus), he'll cost more than I'd be willing to pay. Yes, he's over 30, but he's never had a significant injury in his career, is one of the best at his position, and at a position where the greats are known to play late into their 30's without difficulty if they avoid injury (he's also under contract below-market - ~$8m per yr - for the next 3 years). That said, I'm not surrendering a potential Top 10 pick for him - that's fairly dumb for a team lacking in you in young, blue-chip talent.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well, no one we'd likely be willing to part with. I'm sure teams would love to acquire KA from us.

If we don't plan on extending him - or don't like our chances of doing so - I could see seeing if a team has interest in Green (that's where this injury is really poorly-timed). I say that because it would probably be sacrilegious to even suggest trading Gates - and not just to Rivers.