1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade for Raiders RB falls through for Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers almost pulled off another significant trading deadline deal Tuesday, league sources said.

They were in talks with the Raiders about acquiring running back Michael Bush until right up to the 1 p.m. deadline.

According to a Bay Area source, the sides were close on terms, believed to be a second-day pick, before the Raiders pulled the deal at the last minute.

Asked about the negotiations, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith neither confirmed nor denied the talks.

“We don't discuss our football business,” he said. “No trades made by the Chargers this year.”

Smith has worked a deal each of the past four trading deadlines, including down-to-the-wire, high-profile swaps for Keenan McCardell in 2004 and Chris Chambers in 2007.

The Chargers were likely interested in Bush for depth behind LaDainian Tomlinson. Current backup Darren Sproles becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season. The Chargers would like to keep Sproles, but he will likely test the market before deciding whether to stay.

Bush (6-foot-1, 245) was a fourth-round pick in 2007, but he he did not play last year while recovering from a broken leg suffered in his final season at Louisville.

This season he has 202 yards on 47 carries. He also has nine receptions for 89 yards, including seven for 80 yards against the Chargers last month.

Had it happened, the trade would have been remarkable not only for the quality player the Chargers would have added but because it would have been consummated between division rivals.

Asked if he worked on any trades this year, Smith said, “We are always exploring possibilities to get better.”

by Kevin Acee

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I can't believe Al Davis was even talking to the Chargers :icon_eek:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Tomlinson, Sproles, Hester, Tolbert.... WTF do we need another running back? :icon_shrug:

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    How many carries does have Hester have? Minutes? They trust a rookie FB who cant block but Hester doesnt play at all.

I like the move even tho it didnt go through. Sproles is a URFA after this season so Bush would have been some insurance as well.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well yeah... we didn't give up a #2 draft pick for nothing so give Hester the ball!!!

As for Sproles becoming an URFA... I'm sure it will be in our (and his) best interest to resign him. Worry about that after the season.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This is a bit strange.

No faith in Hester? I think we're all experiencing a huge WTF moment. Why isn't Hester getting any PT?

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Ask Norv. It's his decision!!!

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Right on cue.

9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Man Hester was soooo hyped up on this board. I've been trying to see why, but he hasn't had many chances to show what he can do, and when he did, he fumbled it away. I believe the plan was to have Hester run the clock down at the end of the NE game, but he didn't deserve it after the fumble. LT and Yogi had to do the dirty work Hester was drafted to do.

I don't care if Hester becomes a solid player in the future, Michael Bush would've been a great back-up. He's more like Burner Turner than Hester would be. The Great White Hype is a solid special teamer, and maybe nothing more. I would rather have Tolbert, Bush, LT, Sproles, and our 2nd rounder back.

By the way, why would the Raiders trade him? They have McFadden and Fargas, but they both have injury issues, and none of them are big bruisers like Bush. Maybe Al doesn't want anything but speed guys? Sounds like typical Al.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    6 games people, 6 games. He's gotten 2 carries all season. Damn, give the dude a break. He's gotta get on the field and blow it a few time before he gets labeled a bust or wasted pick. He's a rookie, rookies make mistakes.

About Bush: Probably at the last minute Al realized he was about to make a trade to the Chargers, and just couldn't do it. I'll bet Al tried to up the asking price at the last minute and AJ told him to get bent. I'm honestly surprised Al even had talks with AJ.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yeah. His one responsibility was not to fumble. He couldn't do it.

Bench him until your confidant he won't f-up again.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Right on the money about Hester, but seriously let the kid play especially if you wanna call all these damn runs up the gut
    Bush, apparently that was more for next year then for this year since Sproles will be a UDFA at the end of the season and his value is going through the roof right about now.

13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...And I can't believe that Sproles hasn't already been locked up. Without Darren, the Bolts probably lose both games against Indy last year and wouldn't have even come close enough to the Donks this year to worry about getting cheated by Hochuli! His value is well known to the rest of the league...I'd hate to see him test the market :no:

A.J. signs Castillo long term, locks up a relatively unproven Jyles Tucker for a few years and lets this guy sit and ponder his future :icon_huh: Not a good idea.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Money in the bank.

15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i think its funny that you guys are even talking about Hester, trying to go out and get Bush has nothing to do with Hester, Hester wasnt drafted to replace LT if he got hurt or be the next Chargers RB when LT steps down, he was drafted to be a Fullback/Running back/Special Teamer, you can see that AJ is looking into the future looking for the next starting RB with LT showing signs of decline

16. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Especially the Raiders...

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Makes you wonder a bit just how LT's toe is coming along ..... :icon_shrug:

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought the common wisdom was that it's easy to find decent running backs in the later rounds of the draft. Was this guy that special?

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We can draft someone better than Bush if need be next spring if we keep our powder dry. We can draft an RB, but our first need next year is fat boys.

20. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i guess you never watched him in college, if he wasnt hurt that year he would have been picked higher then AP

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

Chargers running back Jacob Hester fumbled just once during his college career, and oddly enough it came on his second carry at LSU. In Sunday night’s win, Hester suffered the same fate on his second touch of his NFL career, and it’s not something he’s happy about.

“My job was to go in and protect the ball and protect the lead,” Hester said. “I’ve got to be better than that.”

Turner said that he believes Hester learned a valuable lesson Sunday night and will continue to learn.

“Taking care of the ball is all technique,” Turner said. “Jacob was careless with the ball. The ball got away from his body. He’s got the best role model you can have in LT. It’s not because (LT) doesn’t want to fumble, it’s because he’s got the best technique I’ve ever seen in terms of taking care of the football, knowing the pressure points, knowing how to handle the ball in the crowd.”

Chargers.com

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I can't believe Charger officials talking to Al Davis