1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Jammer keep Flo?...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Saw this on UT's mailbag. Thought it was an interesting theory.

How about we trade Jammer and resign Flo to an extension?. Cro and Flo become the starting corners with Oliver playing nickle. Weddle should be starting at safety by years end.

I still think Jammer could be a great safety. I know not many agree with this and it has been gone over many times. But if we are to keep him I would look at this, if Jammer would consider it, which he won't.

Another team getting Jammer as a CB get an experienced player for reasonable money unlike what they are going to have to pay Flo ala Clements. A 2nd round pick should be enough for AJ.

Having said all the above I don't think it has a chance of happening. :icon_sad:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Though I like Jammer, that's a thought right now!!!

I'll answer that question at the end of the season and if we'll have a new HC and DC!!!!

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    That's a stupid idea.

Jammer's been playing much better than D'Flo this year, even last year, and already has his $30 million contract locked in before the overpriced ones that followed.

D'Flo would have to be given a new contract by AJ for much more than Jammer's contract because after all, that post talked about Clements' contract as a reference.

How stupid would that be? Pay a lesser CB more money than the one you just traded away, all for a freaking second round pick?

Just let D'Flo walk and with his big contract and such he gets with another team, we'll get a 3rd rounder for him in compensation.

Thus two options:

A: Keep Jammer. Let D'Flo walk. D'Flo signs big contract with another team and starts. Chargers get a 3rd rounder and free up D'Flo's cap space hit he would have had by staying with the team and getting that big contract with the Bolts.

B: Trade Jammer for a second rounder and sign D'Flo to a large contract, one higher than Jammer's and use up additional cap space.

So, for moving up one round in the draft with the "extra" pick, you end up eating into your cap and retain the lesser corner that likes to use his head as a spear?

4. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Flo is still an idiot in my book after his headbutt antics last year and cost us another 15 last week. I understand aggressive - I can't understand stupid. Don't get me wrong - Jammer ain't perfect, but at least he plays smart and has cleaned up his technique over the years. I'm with you about Jammer at safety - that still is the better fit to me.

I thought the defense played subpar this past week and it really showed how we would look without Jamal getting doubled all the time.

Anybody remember when the Patroits played the Colts in the playoffs and Belichek had 3 rushing and 8 into coverage? Does that sound like a way to beat the Pats now? Drop the linebackers and shadow the running back - I refuse to believe they can't be stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If you give Brady time, he will tear us up. Blitz him,make him rush his throws. We did it in the first half of the playoff game and it was working. Second half they went into that prevent crap, and we all know how that works.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Not in a million years. You have Jammer locked up long term, Drayton wants a big payday and Jammer is twice as good as a CB.

7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Wurd:tup:

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Mah boy feels the love! Seriously, wtf was Dflo thinking when he blasted Schaub? That just screams to me that Florence is an idiot.

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Had that shot been on Tom Brady we would all still be applauding it this morning. I agree D-Flo is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he can play. :yes:

Seriously I know the league is trying to look out for it's players but when there is a turnover the QB ought to be FAIR GAME! You're a QB and don't want to get leveled after you throw a pick, get the F down 'cause somebody is coming. D-Flo needs to learn to play within the framework of the rules, but all this fluff to keep QBs from having to get hit is BS. The rule sucks but Flo still has to learn to follow it.

And no absolutely not on keeping Flo and trading Jammer. The cap implications alone are enough to prevent this move to say nothing about the fact that Jammer is still the better player.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Once the ball was intercepted, the QB became fair game. D-Flo barely caught the QB's lower jaw with the crown of his helmet.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    As much as I hate Jammer sometimes, Florence doesn't have **** on Jammer.

I'd also like to see Jammer moved to safety.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    If you watch a replay of Cro's INT for a TD Jammer is running in front of Cro as well as D-Flo but D-Flo taunts Schaub with a hand gesture that I thought was pretty low-class but that's just me.

I would take Jammer over Flo in a heartbeat and IMO it's a no-brainer.

13. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

Wow great post man. I've been thinking the same about the Patriots as well. There is no running threat so why should we even start the game out in our base Defense? I'm thinking teams should start dropping guys back and punish the receivers for making catches. Randy will start throwing a ***** fit when Brady gets on his case for dropping balls.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Actually the QB doesn't become "fair game", not if he's out of the play, which he clearly was. That's why the idiot got penalized. Twice. Florence is just a dirty player, period. I will not be sad to see his dumb *** go.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Yep, D-Flo is an idiot who will cost us again sometime this year. The guy just doesn't learn.

Oh and just a general comment. Jammer doesn't suck. Everyone gets beat once in a while, just ask Champ and Dre...

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That would be some **** to see Jamal Williams drop back into middle zone coverage :lol:

17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    hahahaa no s*it like last years game against the Bengals when he laid out was it rudy johnson?

But what I meant was to rush 3 and drop everyone back. I've noticed that the Patriots do a great job of picking up the blitz and therefore they design their plays not ony to deal with the blitz but to exploit it. I know that, that is a captain obvious comment but I just haven't seen many people try to take that away from them.

I'd love to see teams just drop back and lay the wood on them. Then after a while throw in a few blitzes when they're not expecting it. And hope to nail Brady. Man I'd love to see his sorry a$$ on the floor whinning like a bit*h to the ref about the hit being too hard.

18. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

I think we should trade them both, and we get a someone to take Mcrees spot. :tup:

19. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    yep, I agree. When I watched it, the QB had started running toward the play and Flo just hit him. I'm assuming the helmets hit but it was fast and hard to see. It's not like Flo went 'headhunting'. He made a block.

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    So we get rid of 3 players to upgrade one position?

Man that safety better be something else.

21. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Cro will take Jammers spot, Oliver will take Flo's spot and, Weddle takes Harts spot. wahhhla magic:tup:

22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I know: We clone Ronnie Lott, except we clone him 22 years ago so he's ready now.

23. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    TAS GAY CABRON....

24. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    This is the Troof. Good post.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    how many times can this damn thread pop up?
    All that's left is hte comment about moving Jammer to SS and Weddle to FS

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The QB was not out of the play. Go back and look at the replays. The QB was running (albeit one step) in an attempt to tackle Cro. He had two Texan linemen right behind him who lumbered past after he got decked to try and make a play on Cro.

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    With regards to helmet-to-helmet, the QB is the most protected of all in that.

The NFL rules when Deion played, and the way they are now are totally different with respect to protecting the QB. I like Deion but he's wrong in this regard. He needs to understand the rules changes.

Just as recent as 5 years ago, such a hit wouldn't have drawn a flag at all. But in the new era of protecting the QB, this hit draws all sorts of flags, because they want to protect QBs from unnecessary hits whenever possible. When just a grazing brush across the facemask of a QB draws a PF, you don't think D'Flo's hit would?

Anything that remotely resembles a blow to the QB's head is a penalty now. They want to protect them from getting concussions.

The QB is essentially protected when he throws an INT. He is untouchable by anyone on the opposing team unless he is within direct position to make a tackle. That's usually within 10 yards of the ball carrier (intercepting person).

At the time D'Flo hit Schaub, he was at least 20 yards away from Cromartie.

28. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I thought it was totally unneccessary, and was embrassed he took him out of a game with such a cheap shot. In the long run it opens up our QB to all sorts of cheap ****.

I always hear people coming down on the broncos, and other team for playing cheap, bla bla bla... but as soon as it's our player "it's part of the game"

It was cheap, he should be fined, probably suspended, and we should cut him as soon as the season's over. He's medicore at best anyways.

29. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I don't know what everyone else is seeing, but here is TBF's take.

Both Jammer and Flo have become "good" corners. I key on them a ton during games via the binos. They're tough tough, corners. Too many people see them get "burnt" a few times and right it off as them being a "weak" corner. Let us remember that the other team is getting paid as well. We are playing in the NFL, everyone screws up. Jammer and Flo don't have the greatest hands, and this is my biggest bust on them...CroMo on the other hand...He has a knack for the ball.

If given the choice of Jammer and Flo...I take Jammer all day, everyday. And that is based on discipline. Flo lost is poise one too many times last year.

PI call, a CB getting smoked, a CB missing a tackle time and again is going to happen and it happens to all of them. Neither are elite, but neither are bottom tear just the same.

TBF

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    No.

I'm starting to love the idea of Cromartie and Jammer on both sides