1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Talk: Chargers Lower Price For Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, May 17, 2010.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Don't get excited. This is the same Sporting News that had Everett Brown going #1 overall in the 2008 draft.:icon_rofl:

Maybe a 2nd round conditional pick, that turns into a 1st if he plays enough games.:icon_shrug:
    Or a 2nd round pick from the Buffalo Bills, who will have the 33rd pick in the draft next year.:yes:

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Must mean that English and Lang are savages comin' out this season. At least that's what I'm hoping for,

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    More likely, people are viewing Merriman as "damaged goods" since he has not completely returned to pre-injury form and other teams are reluctant to mortgage their immediate future for a player who may or may not be the dominating pass rusher he once was.

We will probably wind up "renting" him for this season, and he should play his butt off to get his monster contract for the 2011 season and beyond...probably not in San Diego.

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Considering what we could get in return...I would rather keep Merriman on the Roster and let him work his *** off for a bigpay day next season! ..here or somewhere else.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just a wild guess. But merriman might be mentioning that he wants to hold out next season and has asked to be traded.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think it would more likely be a conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd or a 1st based on stats and play time, and would have to be with a crappy team.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If Merriman does publically demand a trade we'll be lucky to gather a 4th for him.

I think this article is bullshit. There is no source quoted, or any attempt to make it seem legitimate. Its just some douche declaring the Chargers have lowered their asking price...and then moving on to other topics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I agree this is probably BS. But if we only got a second for Merriman I would be very upset. I might be OK with a conditional which has the chance to become a first. I WOULD be OK with trading him for a 1st rounder.

Right now I feel that I would rather have Shawn for one season than anything less than a first.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Would you rather have Shawn creating a distraction voer his contract all season like Cro did last year, or get something for him now? I would go with the later.

For those who didn't know, Jammer was on the radio a week or 2 after Cro was traded, and he said Cro was complaining to anyone who would listen about his contract, and how he kept demanding to get traded. If Merriman does the same thing, it will create issues in the locker room

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    An excellent point, and thanks for the pre-emptive explanation about Cro. I hadn't heard that.

I hold Shawn in a higher regard than Cro, so I don't think he would cause problems. He is more laid back I think, but it is a valid concern. Maybe I just devalue the idea of a second rounder because we traded it this year. I think SM could be a monster this year because he wants the dollar signs. A pass rush is what has made this defense in the past and if we have it we are tough to beat.

I can be convinced that a trade is good as long as there is a reasonable expectation that it becomes a 1st round pick. Maybe I'll get burned and Shawn will just be average, but that is my call today as an armchair GM.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The problem is, the more talk there is, the more teams will feel we have to trade him, which will lower his value. It is a shame we couldn't get something done on draft day. But the longer we wait, the longer he holds out, the less his value will be.

IMO, with what he has done the last 2 years, and the fact that he has yet to prove he is 100% healthy, I doubt we get anything more than a conditional 3rd, which would be a 2nd and/or a 1st based on stats and playing time.

For him to accept a trade, he will either have to get a new contract, or feel he has a good shot of getting one with that team. I doubt to many teams are going to pay him a big contract, plus give up a high draft pick for a guy who has done hardly anything in 2+ years

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    to me this is AJ's way of telling Merriman that he's not worth what he think he's worth "see Shawn, nobody is willing to even give a second rounder for you, shut up an play"

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Merriman isn't going anywhere this year.

Regardless of his off-field financial ventures (which he's smart to have, IMO), he wants to play football. This isn't some ***** like Cromartie who just wants to run around with the ball in his hand looking like a superstar. Merriman has never not committed to football when it was time.

Plenty of people piss & moan about his decision to wait on surgery. Does anyone here know for certain what the doctors' advice was to him? Anyone? Bueller?

He's gonna play football as a Charger this year. I expect him to give it his all on the field because that's who he is. Getting paid is extra incentive. If he looks like he's back to being a disruptive force, I expect him to be shown the money from someone. Will it be San Diego? I kinda doubt it, but who knows for sure?

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are expecting him to end his hold out, which he probably will, but the longer it goes, the longer it will take him to get up to speed and the more playing time he will lose because it will just piss off AJ

16. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    hold out??
    'aint no hold out. he hasn't signed his tender but is working out.
    this is a great wake up call for 56.
    AJ is holding all the cards. 56 needs to play, play well, be a team guy, and then he'll be worth somthing. right now he's a question mark and everyone knows it, even SM.
    he'll play for us and if he does well then it'll be the same bidding war it was gonna be anyway.
    his potential this year is higher than a second round pick next year IMO. first round then yeah, trade him.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sorry, I had heard somewhere that he wasn't expected at training camp. Same for McNeil and VJ

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    That's because they don't have contracts!
    Merriman was at the last OTA's after he signed an injury waver.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I expect Shawne to be ready to play football as he always has been outside of his injury year.

He's in the same boat as roughly 200 other NFL veterans this year & he sure as hell isn't the only one who is upset about it. Shawne is a pretty savvy guy - he knows that a holdout won't do him any good &, to my knowledge, has made no statement saying that he's holding out. He'll play & play to the best of his ability.

It's slow & everyone wants to throw out their version of the latest speculation. In the interim, I feel certain that Shawne is getting ready to play football.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Take the needle shawne. Play your til your leg falls off... or your replacement is found. Whichever comes first.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hell yeah - I hope his head looks like a bus by July. :icon_twisted: :abq2:

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly, and until they sign their tenders, they are not under contract. And there is a possibility that they don't sing their tenders and holdout for a multi year deal

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    yeah but IIRC they sign their tender and they lose leverage when it comes to being traded.

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Carrot Top likes this

[​IMG]

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    HOLY FCUK!

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't know what in hell that is, but it should be put out of it's misery.:icon_shrug::icon_eek::icon_huh:

27. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Wish you're right. He needs to play good. Can't we pay him
    extra money for sacks and forced fumbles ?

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is always nice for us fans to say what is a fair contract, and a fair contract for Merriman would be long term with a a lot of incentives, unfortunately the players also have to agree and they want the guaranteed cash and for the incentives to be viewed as extras rather than the main part of the deal

29. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    A fair contract for Merriman would be whatever his current one is... so he can just play like a mutherf.ucker and then earn his way out of San Diego if that's what he chooses.

30. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814