1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trading Donnie

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    How does everyone feel about AJ possibly trading away Donnie Edwards?

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If we can get something before it is too late - pull the trigger.

There is no way we resign Donnie Edwards and he has one year left on his contract but somebody (Vikings etc who hold two second round picks) may bite at the opportunity.

We have the talent base on the team to pick up the slack and this may be the impetus needed to stockpile draft picks for a move up in the draft to snare a premium tackle. Bada bing.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,194
    Leading tackler on the team.

AJ better be right, he is making a lot of moves that dont seem to be steps forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    ILB should be the leading tackler but where on the field are the tackles happening ??

Donnie plays the game "safe" to minimize damage to his body. How many times did we see Donnie out of position or tackling someone for dear life who should have been blown up at the LOS ? Several. Too many as a matter of recollection.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I believe it was Branch Ricky of the Dodgers who first said it is better to let a good player go and get something versus getting nothing after it is too late.

Donnie is very similar to Junior Seau but we pulled the trigger too late in getting rid of Seau.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The hardest part of getting rid of a player is having the sack and timing to pull the trigger.

Thank god this team has A.J. Smith to do the dirty work of the "Turk"

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,194
    Does that matter? He is still the leading tackler, he is still making plays. It is not the secondary, it is not Merriman or Foley. It is Edwards.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,194
    Yeah, lets hope your singing his praises half way through the season, because so far his off season has sucked and swallowed. he hasnt done dick to make the team better in my opinion.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sure it matters.

Tackles are another over rated stat which needs to be balanced by what you are seeing on the field.

Donnie is a solid player BUT he is not a disruptive force and just "gets by" doing his job. Workmanlike but unspectacular and as such bait for the pirahnas.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654

Come on dude.

A.J. resigned Jamal, LT, Parker, Gates, Hart, etc etc etc etc .... A.J. has an unheard of retention rate in the league and starters from the drafts prior.

McCree at FS and Shea at TE. Not earth shaking but McCree is in his prime and a needed talent in the secondary.

We are in prime position with our salary cap to do mass damage and we have several key players as ProBowl talent.

Not enough fans show the quan and love for what has happened and is happening.

A.J is getting 'er done son.

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    AJ is not God. He's made some good moves and some bad ones. I can live with trading Donnie, or keeping him. I'm more concerned in what AJ is going to do about the OL. Secondary also, but we need OL help badly.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When you look at the history of this team and GM's and how A.J. has turned the franchise around - dude is GAWD.

No bones about it - A.J. was not Executive of the Year by mistake. Dude is the real deal and is a crusty SOB straight up and I love it.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Look at Gilman - Tank Younger - Ortmeyer - Dean played GM one year by committee and Bobby Beathard.

You better believe your sweet bippy A.J. is god and the show is just getting started.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Chargers | Edwards believes he's being judged on his personality
    Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:50:54 -0700

Tim Sullivan, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers LB Donnie Edwards believes he is on the trading block because of his personality and not because of his performance. He's wondering if his close ties with head coach Marty Schottenheimer and agent Tom Condon have caused general manager A.J. Smith to shop him around. Edwards said, "Am I the pawn in the rift between Marty and A.J.? I'm trying to look for answers and the only thing I can see is Marty Schottenheimer and Tom Condon." He added, "Maybe (Smith) is trying to weed out the guys he didn't bring in. But if you look at the numbers, it doesn't make sense."

Donnie is an idiot for making these comments and just seems bitter he is not getting shown the jack and being on the wrong side of 30.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'll give you that one. AJ is better than who we've had in the past. He better than many other teams GMs also, but to go from that to AJ is God is a huge leap. Sure, he's made some great moves, and some not so great moves. He's also hit on some undrafted longshots like Gates, Dielman, etc. He's good, but not God.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You kill me man. I don't think his comments are to off the mark.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If Donnie wants a raise he keeps his mouth shut.

This kind of press makes him speculate and appears to be reaching for answers as to why he is not getting a raise by pointing fingers. That is flat out crap.

A.J. could careless if Donnie is sleeping with Marty for starters and is looking at ways to help get this team over the hump. Donnie should see this and is just bitter and lashing out like a kid.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,194
    We have been in prime postion to make a splash in FA, and to do this that and the other. But AJ doesnt do anything with the prime. I just dont know what he is trying to do. he may be great. I do hope your singing his praises half way through the season. I hope to be as well, but right now it doesnt look like he is doing much at all to make us better.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There is no way you can hold A.J. accountable for not signing what you deem PRIME.

Hutch and Bentley at $7 million per year is cap insanity.

Steven Neal's deal is shrouded in conflict of interests with his agent despite the Texans reportedly offering more money than the Patriots.

There has been nothing which makes sense to acquire and not be cap foolish.

Just to make a splash in F/A to appease a few impatient Chargers fans is not the ticket as well.

20. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That and he was just plain horrible in pass coverage- one of his supposed strengths.

Adios check casher. :yes:

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626

I'd like to believe this isn't hte case but I don't know anymore :icon_shrug:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah no kidding but fans will use the "our run defense is number one" and not have a clue as to pass responsibilities.

Agreed.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This would be too patty-cakes for A.J. to even think this game.

There is value in getting something before it is too late.

Donnie is spewing nothing more than sour grapes which is childish.

Eric Parker never cried nor did Jamal Willams nor did LaDainian which is my point.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Smith looks to Edwards' future value

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    April 18, 2006

As Donnie Edwards continued to vent his frustration at how he has been treated and how he might be traded, A.J. Smith went about the business of building a team.

While e-mailers to the newspaper and callers to radio talk shows are overwhelmingly outraged the Chargers might get rid of another player they love, Smith yesterday commenced two weeks of intensive give-and-take with scouts and coaches in preparation for the draft.

The general manager did take a couple of moments to refute a couple of notions regarding his shopping of Edwards.

“I'm not interested in Donnie Edwards' seven-year tackling statistics,” Smith said. “I'm only interested in the type of player he is (currently) and the player he may be in the future."

By offering Edwards for trade, Smith is seeing what he can get for a 33-year-old linebacker with one year left on his contract.

Both Edwards and Smith acknowledge the 10-year veteran could well be with the Chargers this season. It certainly remains to be seen if another team will compensate the Chargers adequately – i.e., with a second-round draft pick.

There has long been a slim chance Edwards was going to be a Charger after 2006. Among the league leaders in tackles every year since 1999, Edwards has made it clear he wants to be paid like one of the league's elite linebackers. By refusing to increase Edwards' salary or extend his contract – as Edwards has requested each of the past three years – Smith has made it clear he does not agree Edwards is worth that.

Edwards, who has started all 49 games since joining the Chargers in 2002, has averaged 149 tackles per year since 1999, second in the NFL only to Miami's Zach Thomas. However, among linebackers, Edwards ranks 61st in sacks and 36th in tackles for loss over the past seven seasons.

His 152 tackles in 2005 – a season in which he played the final 10 games with a torn meniscus (knee) that required offseason surgery – ranked fourth in the league. A study of his tackles last season showed that 67 (44 percent) were made after an opponent had gained three yards or less while 37 (24 percent) were made after an opponent had gained six or more yards.

These statistics might help explain why Smith sees Edwards as expendable.

Edwards first postulated in Sunday's Union-Tribune that he was a “pawn in the rift” between Smith and head coach Marty Schottenheimer. He also went on 1090-AM yesterday morning and repeated a similar view.

“There are a number of reasons why Donnie Edwards' name is out there,” Smith said. “And Coach Schottenheimer is not one of them.”

Edwards has also suggested a strained relationship between Smith and super-agent Tom Condon, who represents Edwards and recently departed quarterback Drew Brees, could factor into this potential trade.

Any problems Smith had with Condon were put aside for the 2004 signing of another of the agent's clients, LaDainian Tomlinson, to the richest contract for a running back in NFL history.

The reality is that while Smith is not friends with Schottenheimer or a big fan of Condon, the GM knows it is he who will ultimately be held accountable for the personnel moves he makes.

Regardless, fans have expressed dismay that Edwards could leave.

Due to his frequent tackles, the fact that he is a San Diego native and because he is active in the community, Edwards is one of the team's most popular players among fans.

But while he is widely referred to from the outside as a team leader, Edwards is rarely mentioned by teammates in the same vein as Tomlinson or Lorenzo Neal. And teammates privately lament his frequent gripes about being underappreciated.

Edwards said yesterday he is “frustrated and disappointed.” He feels Smith could have communicated better with him and Condon.

Edwards said he is finished talking about the possible trade and will concentrate now on the season ahead – whatever that brings.

“I said what I had to say,” he said. “If it happens, it happens. I'm going to worry about myself and let my agent take care of things. I know what kind of player I am. I'm going to continue to work out and get ready for the season and play like I have been.”

Chargers sign Lott

The Chargers yesterday signed safety Andre Lott in hopes he can bolster their secondary depth. Lott, a fifth-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins in 2002, has had his career derailed by injuries.

Find this article at:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060418-9999-1s18chargers.html

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Charger fans fall in love with a hyped up stat such as "tackles" and then see almost 70% of those tackles happen AFTER a back has gained 3 yards flat out sucks......

Donnie could get half a sack by being ontop of the pile or Jamal by playing smart and without huevos which is his style of play.

No Edwards needs to go bye bye now.

26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Blah Blah Blah. Donnie has played hard for us. He's a grinder. If we get a 2nd rounder for him, great. I can live with that no problem. If not, I have no problem with him still being a Charger.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I have said Donnie is not a play maker anymore.

His game is S-A-F-E.

I would like to see him line up at the South Pole and getting a running start and blowing up a play for ONCE but no ............ Donnie will not do this ... ever .... ever.

28. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    True. That's not Donnie's game. He's a solid tackler, thats about it.

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I never said Donnie was NOT hard player or was not a grinder. He is steady eddy if you need someone who is always on the wrong side of the ankles in a tackle way past the line of scrimmage. Watch this dudes first steps. Watch how he sheds or does not shed a guard to blow up a play.

I am not enamored over what I see versus what we could get via a draft pick and the replacements we have on staff.

Pull the trigger.

Damn good call and spot on for the GM to attempt a move at this stage in the game.