1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trading up in the draft?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 5, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I found this posted on the chargers.com forum and it makes sense to me:

I'm gonna tell everybody here exactly how this decision is going to affect the upcoming 2010 Draft, but let me start by just saying AJ's literally outsmarted everyone on this one.

For weeks I've been trying into get AJ's head and figure out what his thinking was on where he might go with our 2010 1st round draft pick. For a while I thought I had him figured out- if we keep Sproles we draft Ryan Mathews, if not we draft Jahvid Best. Stuck by that one for a while. Until today...

The decision to tender Sproles, coupled with what I've gathered from AJ's radio interview today on AM 1360, have led me to a solid conclusion on who the Chargers 1st round draft pick will be.

Ladies and gentlemen, with the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select running back CJ Spiller.

That's right, with the 13TH overall pick. For those of you that have memorized this years draft order, you'd understand this means the Chargers are trading with the San Francisco 49ers.

Here's what's gonna happen- on Draft day, the Chargers are going to trade their 1st round draft pick along with Darren Sproles to move 15 spots up in the draft. And here's why it's gonna work-

A) The 49ers have 2 1st round draft picks this year
    B) The 49ers are in desperate need of a versatile back who can serve as a compliment to Frank Gore AND return kicks
    C) The 49ers, a team that would otherwise be tempted to draft Spiller themselves, now gets the versatile back they need without having to sacrifice a 1st rounder
    D) It's an uncapped year and the 49ers are a megabucks franchise that can afford to take on Sproles' lucrative contract (not to mention, he'll be more deserving of that lucrative contract in a place like San Francisco where they'll likely utilize him more than the Chargers did)

AJ sniffed the Sproles suitors out in the last two weeks by holding back on the tender, leaving him free to dangle out there. Guess who jumped? The 49ers and the Redskins. ABSOLUTELY GENIUS.

It also makes perfect sense on the Charger's end for many reasons-
    A) Did you really think AJ, as smart a GM as he is, was gonna waste that much money on a situational back? HELL NO. This gives us an out from wasting (yes, WASTING) $7+ million on Sproles alone.
    B) There's no replacing LT, but I'm pretty sure from listening to AJ's words of wisdom today on the radio that he's fully willing to do whatever it takes to strengthening the Chargers offensive backfield as best he can. It starts with a electrifying game breaker like Spiller, who can not only be our new #1 guy, but also return kicks (questionably as good or better than Sproles- see Percy Harvin).

If you don't believe me, wait until draft day. I'm not saying AJ's not gonna pull an AJ and surprise us all again with a super random pick. I'm just saying I've seen enough pieces fall in place today (putting high value on Sproles, releasing Bennett) to pave a foundation to make this move possible.

Just watch, come draft day you'll all see.

Think it might happen?

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I've said before that Sproles would be a perfect fit in San Fran. The only thing is; Will Spiller be there at pick #13? What if he goes to the Browns a #7? Most importantly, is he really a #1 back or is he another Reggie Bush?

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think this would be my preferred option. I would rather just trade Sproles for a 2nd, or move up fewer spots with someone else and get a 3rd in addition.

I wouldn't be upset, but I just don't see RB as being our biggest need, and with as deep as RB is this year, we can get quality in the 2nd and 3rd. And with us being a run 1st team, spending a 1st on a RB just doesn't seem smart to me when we have a HUGE need at NT and CB

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Are you sure we wouldn't take NT Dan Williams or OT Bryan Bulaga with that #13 pick?

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would jump all over Williams, but I don't think we need to go up that high to get him. I have seen several mock drafts that have him going in the 20's, and even one that didn't even have him selected yet #28.

I am not in the front office and really don't have any idea where other teams rank these players, and I have no idea what other teams needs are. But if we had to go up to 13 to get him, then I would do it. But if the Chargers feel they could trade our 1st and Sproles and get a pick a around #21 and a 3rd, assuming they feel Williams will be there, then I would take the later pick with the additional 3rd. It will all depend on where he is being predicted to go by the front office

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    According to Pro Football weekly the 2010 RB class overall is rated as a C. So it may be deep, but the quality isn't as deep. I feel the RB spot was a need last draft. Right now we have nobody, you could call a full time starter. That to me is a very important position. I think a RB will need to be picked in the first or second round to get a quality back. C.J. Spiller and Ryan Matthews are graded as the top 2 backs, as of now.

7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Only one time has AJ actually drafted the guy I wanted him to draft in the first round and that was Merriman.

So given that fact, I think you can list every single theory that anyone has had for the Chargers draft day, you can give me the option to pick any of those predictions or the 'field' (a prediction that NONE of those predictions will come true) and I would take the field.

Its an interesting idea, and not unfathomable, but pretty unlikely.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are totally correct. He caught me by surprise with the last 4 1st rounders.

9. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I disagree that you're assuption about this grade is correct. I think the reason that it is an overall "C" as you say is because of no real clear cut top talent at the position. I think there is a deeper class than normal and instead of say 5 or 6 backs who will produce at all at the next level that there are probally twice that many this year.

The pending change in Rookie pay scale forced many College Jr. into the draft this year, that is the reason for the bulk of decent backs, it is like a double class or at the least one and half class.

10. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The question is moot about dowe need to trade up that far. The real root question is where is the market for Sproles, and in fact was he tendered to be able to get a long term deal done and if not get comp. for him via a trade.

The concept of useing a player to move up from our slot in a round and basically swap picks is IMO a very good idea. It might have to be accomplished in two moves to get what we need.

I think a better way to look at this upcoming draft is to identify the exact players at positions of need we could use. Spiller is one such player, Williams would be another. Getting an additional pick or two in the first 3 rounds would help also, because now with Cro gone, we need a CB and some marginal mid rounder is not going to cut it.

You could beef up the D-Line all you want to save maybe 30 yards per game in rushing yards allowed and give that back three-fold if you have taken a step back at CB and with the overall pass defense..

One of the key reasons our defense without the flashy plays of 2006 did as well as they did was our best pass defense in a long time. We really limited the big play except for that one by Greene in the playoff game all year.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If this deal happened it would happen on draft day, not before.

By the way we could end up with a top 15 pick, but not how you expect it. If the Seahawks snag Brandon Marshall the Broncos could steal Vjack from us.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope not. I realize that VJ is on some thin ice with his off-field antics & occasional on-field miscues, but he & Rivers are very much in synch. We need to lock up those weapons.

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree! Next years draft will be rated much higher. :tup:

14. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    So you think the broncos are going to take less for Marshall then his tender because there is no way the Seahawks are giving up there high first round pick for him, and yes it has to be the teams own pick.

Then you think that the Broncos would give up a first and a 3rd to the Chargers plus a pay a very steep price to VJax in a multi-year contract. BTW, there NEVER has ben a RFA player with that tender ever change teams, so you are saying VJax will be the first.

I do have a querstion, say we did use Sproles to swap first round picks, would you target Williams at NT or Spiller at RB, remeber to wiegh the rest of that position in this draft class and what you could get later. What about a legit CB like a Joe Haden.

Or would you rather work out a deal with the Redskins who also have allot of interest in Sproles, what is being rummered is maybe Sproles and our 92nd pick for there 37th pick.

That would give us, 28,37, and 60. We could get a RB, NT, and a CB with that and 3 guys who will start in the NFL. I stil am not sold that if Williams is gone before we have our first pick no mater where it ends up, that we don't go with what we have and goto an O-Line guy.

Take a project NT type in the lower rounds, IMO nither Troup or Thomas are first year impact starters at all. Cody IMO, is a MAJOR BUST OUT waiting to happen. You have to be on the field to impact the game and Cody does not do enough of that.

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If we have the 28th, 37th and 60th picks, we should go CB, RB, NT and pick up another RB later in the draft or as an UDFA. We could probably get Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson with the 28th pick and get Mathews or Best with the 37th pick, then get the best NT out there which will be either Lamarr Houston, Cody, or Cam Thomas. I would be happy if that all happened. But seriously, only a 2nd for Sproles? we could probably get a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th for him. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we traded him before the draft though.. The more draft picks the better

16. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I think a better way to get that would be a posible couple other moves. We coud trade off the 28th pick down into the top 10 of the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd.

The other would be say if we traded Sproles and our 28th pick to Frisco for there 13th pick we could trade down from there and pick up an extra pick or two, the target of that move would be Dan Williams who is one player I think get this aggressive for would be worth it. Spiller might be the other.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That is precisely what I would do with that 13th pick. There will be teams drooling over the chance to get Spiller, so we could wind up drafting above 28 anyway and have a possible second or third round pick to boot. We ought to take a run at Thomas Jones and wait till next year to draft a premier back early. We can still get a decent back this year with the extra pick.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I don't like this proposal.

Having CJ Spiller and CJ Spillman on the same team could get too confusing.

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Sproles to SF to get the 13Th pic for Spiller sounds like out of AJ's head. I support you, that the front office is looking for a brand new backfield. Don't know why they didn't hold Michael Bennett in reserve. Starting only with rookies looks really dangerous, even with a throwing QB like Philip.
    The first pick will be a RB for sure.

Antoine Cason will be in duty to step into Cromartie's shoes.
    He'll worth it. We have Brandon Hughes as backup and 5 safties to play this position if needed, too:
    Steve Gregory, Kevin Ellison, Eric Weddle, Paul Oliver and CJ Spillman. There is no need to draft this position.
    The need ist O and D-line !

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

That is a lot reason to go out and get a CB.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I heard on the radio the other day, that only something like 4 RFA have changed teams on the last couple years.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    To be fair, we really had nobody you could call a starter in 2009/10 either and that didn't stop the offense from being one of the best in the NFL.

Not that I'm trying to deny the need to find a quality RB or anything, I'm just sayin.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, which is also a reason why I don't think we should spend a 1st round pick on a RB. We have too many issues on defense, to spend a 1st on a position we hardly use anyways

24. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    C J Spiller would be an intriquing player in a Chargers uniform for sure..and I bet Norv would love to scheme with Spiller in the backfield..but..

..Spiller just is not the type of running back that the Chargers needs for the way they run the ball!

The only way I can see us getting Spiller is if we trade or draft another power back to compliment him and I can't see us wasting abother high draft pick on a running back or us doing a trade for that matter.

IMO..we keep Sproles..draft a nose tackle in the first round, running back in the second

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    For some reason when ever I think of the name 'Terrance Cody'...I see it plastered on the back of a Chargers jersey..

26. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It would be an interesting move but Spiller is not LT's replacement. Yes, we don't need to replace the irreplaceable LT but Spiller doesn't look to me like the bruiser I think we need.