1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Battle Preview: Jue vs. Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 27, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    With training camp just a couple of months away, it is time to preview some of the prominent battles that lie ahead. No competition will be more intense than that at strong safety, where Bhawoh Jue will contend with rookie second-round pick Eric Weddle for the starting spot. Both players are similarly gifted in coverage, leaving the team to choose between Jue’s experience and Weddle’s upside.

The Competitors
    Bhawoh Jue is entering his seventh year in the league and his third in San Diego. He started for the Chargers at free safety in 2005, leading the team with three interceptions and chipping in 47 tackles and four pass break-ups. He was limited in 2006 after undergoing knee surgery the prior offseason, but is healthy now and ready to reclaim a starting position.

A former cornerback, Jue excels in man-to-man coverage. That is why it makes sense to start him at strong safety, where he is close enough to the line to press opposing receivers. Although he is currently listed as the back-up at free safety, he would have no problem playing strong given the interchangeable nature of the Chargers’ safeties.

Full Article

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A very astute observation in the article..

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Here's what I think:

If Weddle can a) find the ball in the air, and b) break for it, he wins easily.

Bhawoh Jue is a scrub.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The man is right about Weddle being eased in. I'd be mighty uneasy about starting a rookie against Chicago and then New England. We face a lot of receivers who can take any rookie to NFL school. Jue play will improve with his health this year.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Astute my ***. :tdown:

Jue has not proven anything and in my book is a POS.

Hart needs to play FS and I have said this from DAY ONE.

McCree should have been at SS. McCree is better suited for "in-the-box" duty versus Hart.

Hart is a natural FS and why the fuc the coaches do not see this is because he was an idiot (Brian Stewart). :icon_evil:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not a fan of easing in any player except the QB.

Everyone else is there to bust their balls and entertain my *** from the get go. If a dude is drafted 3rd round or better, the SOB better be starting. :yes:

Jammer was thrown to the wolves from Day One and he did not have fuc all for a D-line or a FS and he is still alive and getting better.

7. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Jue just sucks and for weddle we shouldnt have gave up so much... Personally I think we should of got this FA buy the name of Jerry Wilson . :tup: :icon_tease:

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If our scouts and AJ thought this dude was worth giving up the picks, then I support them.

I support them because this scouting staff is fu-cking good...no check that....they rock. We have had some ****** talent evaluators here but these mongrels kick fookin asss

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    p88f good to see you again.

In response, people need to get over this whole "we gave up too much for him" notion. We gave up a couple of extra picks, that's about it. Extra pick = more guys who probably wouldn't even make the team. If AJ feels Weddle was the guy to get and was worth the price we paid, then I'm all for it.

Having 37 draft picks in any given draft is overrated.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Get over your ache for Hart... (Ha! get it?!!).

The guy is a scrub. Your talent evaluation skills are dull my friend.:lol:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jammer was thrown into the gap because at the time he was both the best and just about the only option. Our DB's were a collective disaster. Jammer had a lot of critics sniping at him from all sides his first few seasons. I remember words like "stone hands", "clank" and "walking penalty flag" being tossed in his direction. Now lots of people are getting off sniffing his jock. I can see starting Davis, I can even see starting the Illustrated Man at guard if they wow 'em in camp, but unless there are injuries or unless Weddle shows he's way ahead of the curve in camp, we don't have crying need to use him as anything more than a nickel or to spell someone whose hurt. The guy's obviously good, but he is not Ronnie Lott or Rodney Harrison, not at this point. Weddle will be a starter, maybe by the end of the seaon, maybe next year but we don't have to rush the guy. If Weddle wins the job, cool, I'll be happy than a pig in shite. If Jue or Hart win a starting job, that's cool too. Means the right man is in the right spot.

12. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I agree with concudan, Trump has a woody for Hart haha, your boy blows... Jerry Wilson is pure skill. Ok J/k but Ride the lightning is right we had extra picks so not a big deal. Weddle will prob turn out to be great, even his first year.:icon_toast:

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're right. Norv Turner will start a little conservative with the
    experienced players. But imagine something will be shown at the Preseason games, and depth places can change.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hart still sucks.

15. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Lemon too.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    .... don't forget Osgood (as a WR) .....

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Is Hart a lemon? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    It's not a "woody", it's 100% man love. :icon_eek: :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    i just hope they dont move McCree from FS because its been a long time since we had a good FS on this team and this guy handles our DB very good.
    and i think that the battle for SS is Hart vs Weddle, Jue just sucks