1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp News

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, May 16, 2015.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Time to talk about what is going on in the mini training camp for the rookies and everyone else. I saw a couple of articles pointing out the progress of our new running back, saying he has some fast moves. Anyone else have any thoughts on the camps in general?

Thanks,

Pointy

2. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Even when Chargers practice is slow, Melvin Gordon is fast
    Posted by Darin Gantt on May 15, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    With Dante Fowler’s season-ending minicamp injury fresh in everyone’s minds, coaches are being more careful than ever to keep things slow.

But in Chargers camp, first-rounder Melvin Gordon still looks fast.

Via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, the rookie running back is already making an impression a day after signing his contract, even though teams aren’t able to do much resembling football at the moment.

“He did a nice job,” Chargers head coach Mike McCoy said. “We weren’t really going full speed out there, just really an introduction to make sure everyone’s got a hat on hat and guys are running to the right spot.

“But he makes a few of those moves and cuts, you understand why we took him where we did.”

The Chargers traded up two spots in the first round to take him when they did, 15th overall. And with that comes expectations.

The Chargers struggled to run the ball last year (30th in yards per game, 31st in yards per attempt), and then lost talented-when-available Ryan Mathews in free agency to the Eagles.

So with the other options being Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver andDonald Brown, Gordon has a chance to to make an instant impact.

And that’s possible, given his fast first impression.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Chargers sign QB Chase Rettig
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 20, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    The Chargers have added one quarterback and waived another, signing second-year pro Chase Rettig and parting ways with rookie Cole Stoudt, the club said Wednesday.

The 23-year-old Rettig spent training camp and most of the preseason with the Packers in 2014 before being waived in August. He was a four-season starter at Boston College (2010-2013), throwing for a career-best 3,065 yards as a junior.

Rettig is one of four quarterbacks on the Chargers’ roster. The Chargers kept just Kellen Clemens behind Philip Rivers a season ago, and it’s possible Rettig’s best chance to stick in San Diego could be the practice squad.

A Clemson product, Stoudt signed as an undrafted free agent with San Diego earlier this month.

8. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Stoudt must have really looked bad, cause that was one quick hook. I was hoping Chad Young and Andre Monroe would catch on during the tryout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I really wanted Connor Halliday for a camp arm. I was surprised to see him retire, he could have had a career as a backup. Made good money for doing little or nothing.

10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Stoudt is a terrible player, he has decent accuracy , he had average throwing power, and he absolutely folds under pressure, it's the exact reason he never beat tajh Boyd for the starting job, then when Boyd retired he couldn't even hold off a freshman qb. I was honestly scared when we picked him up.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Stoudt's father wasn't a very good NFL QB either.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers are "optimistic" about signing contract-year QB Philip Rivers to an extension.

In March, Rivers said "nothing" could change his mind about not signing an extension, but his tone has softened dramatically in recent weeks. Perhaps Rivers has come around on the idea of playing in Los Angeles, or believes the Bolts won't bolt San Diego. Rivers' attitude adjustment has coincided with the de facto end of trade season. Where he once appeared intent on playing hardball, Rivers now seems likely to sign an extension with the only team he's ever known.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    @christomasson: Rookie running back Melvin Gordon reaches agreement with Chargers teammate to again wear No. 25 after first issued 28 http://t.co/JU7fWJ28R7

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Haha yes! #25FlashGordon

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    There ya go did not take long for Melvin to get #25.... wonder how many #28 shirts were bought, will never forget Merriman in Leslie O'Neal's shirt.

16. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Many Thanks for the link.

The most intriguing prospect from the free agents IMO. He could change the whole look of our offense as much as MG25, if he lives up to his potential.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Duuuudde get your sources straight. I just burned my Gordon#28 in haste. Lol

20. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Any recent news on Tyrell Williams??? I'm hoping he works out for us. Even if he has to sit most of his rookie year.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    It's the latest trend...
    [​IMG]

22. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Any word on how Austin Pettis is doing? Watching some of the videos Chargers have posted lately, S. Johnson looks a click faster than K. Allen (i know its super early and camp hasn't even started)

23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Chargers sign OT Forrestal Hickman. Who is this guy? Let's ask John G. at Bolts From The Blue:

[​IMG]
    This is not a picture of Forrestal Hickman. - David Ramos/Getty Images

The Chargers signed a big offensive lineman that used to play with small humans and it's kinda funny.

 TWEET (7) SHARE (154) PIN
    Okay, look. I try not to waste your time. I try not to post about things that don't matter. However, this matters.

Now, Forrestal Hickman will probably never ever sniff the San Diego Chargers roster, and that's fine. The thing to remember here is, Forrestal Hickman is big. Very big.

How big is he?
    Not that big. I mean, compared to the rest of the Chargers' offensive line.

Hickman is listed as 6'7" and 320 lbs, which means he's almost exactly the same size as Orlando Franklin.

By comparison, King Dunlap is 6'9" and 330 lbs.

So, yeah, Hickman will not be the biggest guy on the roster.

But, look....LISTEN TO ME....

Forrestal Hickman played for Missouri Science and Tech, which sounds exactly like the type of some terrible comedy movie based around college football would name their school. The school may have a long and wonderful history, but one thing it does not have plenty of: big players!

If you've been around here long enough, you remember my fascination with Mike Hermann. He was a large QB playing with a bunch of normal-human-sized players, which made him look ridiculous. Hickman is like that, but way better.

Just look at these pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That shouldn't even be legal. In fact, I'm note entirely certain that it is.

Welcome to the land of the giants, Forrestal Hickman. Your name is awesome and I hope you're a hidden gem. If not, though, thanks a bunch for the absurd pictures.

24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Per Eric Williams of ESPN, Troutman was practicing at C. There is no doubt that that was part of Joe D's versatility emphasis, but man, our OL would be massive if Troutman ended up at C and Barksdale or Watts ended up at RG. I guess Franklin would then be the "little man" at only 320 pounds.

As it is, even with Watt at C, I am really looking forward to seeing what we can do in the running game with Gordon and this big OL.