1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Training camp observations from Aug 5

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Cheapseats, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I went to the night practice at Qualcomm stadium, one of only 3 dates open to the public due to ongoing repairs at Chargers Park. The night practices are usually less of a circus than the Fan Fest. If you have kids that want autographs and a chance to get up close to a real NFL player...Fan Fest is your best shot.

Now, some observations for "the big kids": LT and Sproles looked great! Jammer and Cromartie were also looking good. Merriman was getting a lot of reps and is wearing a knee brace, and I am happy to report he is still very quick.

I had hoped to get a good look at our rookies, but English was not in pads and was doing some work on the side when he wasn't talking to Merriman. Vasquez, the Guard from Texas Tech is going to be a beast!! He is a big, big dude...not one of these guys with a big old gut either. In one of the early drills I watched him drive a defender back about 3 yards...very nice. Gartrell Johnson had a couple of memorable plays running and receiving.
    The rest of the rookies looked like they belonged there but did not do much to really stand out on this particular evening. I guess I will have to wait until pre-season when folks start really hitting each other. I will try to post a couple of pictures in another post. I'm looking forward to hearing what other Bolt Talk posters saw and heard at the practice....Ah, my first football fix in far too long!

Go Chargers!!!
    P.S. I saw A.J. Smith prowling the sidelines and he already has his game face on (when doesn't he?)
    :flag:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Banks made a great catch in the end zone on one of thew two minute drills too

Lots of people out there tonight

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Wow guys where are yee all?..... I checked in this morning expecting to see lots of reports and pix from the gig at the Q. Don't tell me only 2 of our posse were in attendance?.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Tip for anyone going to a future practice @ the Q: Eat before you go or spend half the practice in line waiting for a frickin hot dog.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Was Buster Davis back on the field?

:icon_shrug:

6. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Yes Buster was back on the field.

Another tip is don't bring a camera with a telephoto lens - they were making everyone (at least around us) put them away.

Yes LT & Sproles did look good, I was wspwcially excited to see LT not only have a burst of speed through the hole but I saw him cut several times.

Cromartie was really interacting with the crowd which was cool to see.

Hester is noticably bigger.

It was good just to be back at the Q.

We ate before we went in, glad we did, the lines for food were really long. I think maybe more people showed up than they expected.

Didn't have my camera but another guy from Bolt Bunker did so as soon as he posts his pics over there I will post them here unless someone else posts some good ones.

Here are some pics from another site:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2009/8/5/979288/notes-from-chargers-practice-8-5-09?ref=yahoo

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I was there - running late so can't say much now but it was such a tease haha - there was some great stuff goin' on out there - I cannot wait until next Wed and then next Sat 1st game vs. Seahawks!!!!

8. Electrogasm

Electrogasm BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    My wife and I went directly to Oggi's where we feasted and took advantage of their Wednesday $3 pints special. After that, there was no desire to spend 30 minutes in line for a $1 tube of dubious meat.

On to the practice notes...

Like many of you, I noticed how LT looked great. His cuts were precise and he hopped and bounced around like a kid at play. Sproles appeared as if he had no feet, as he glides about on the field at mind-numbing speed. Seeing him standing next to Cro while retuning punts couldn't have offered a starker contrast in the human form. Sproles, short and stout and Cro tall and sleek. But I'd take Sproles' heart over Cro's any day. It was nice to see Gartrell out there. I see him growing into the Burner role as the year progresses.

I saw a lot of Legedu working with the first team in their 3 Wide + TE sets. That was nice to see as I've been waiting for them to get him involved more. Then again, we'd better see more of Malcom this year - easily the best hands on the team. And I hope Rivers hasn't forgotten how and when to go to Chambers.

In typical fashion, 56 walked out a bit after most of his teammates to elicit direct applause from the fans all just for himself. No one is above the team - got it 56 and 31?

I was disappointed that English didn't suit up. I'm hoping against hope but my new favorite player - Vaughn Martin - might take awhile to contribute this year. He was working on footwork and drills to help him get off the ball when the rest of the team was going about practice. And when he was engaged in rushing drills, 2nd and 3rd team Guards were keeping him at bay, in essence schooling him. But I've never seen 330 pounds look so slim in my life. The guy has no gut and is as nimble as they come. In time, young man. In time.

I certainly prefer watching practice at the stadium rather than the canyon. You can walk around and see the groups that interest you and there's a seat for everyone. I hope this is so successful that they consider holding a few practices there every year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No longer than any gameday, the problem was people were ordering like 20 hot dogs at a time and it was taking FOREVER to get one order.

10. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    it was good to see the bolts again but don't make to much of it as iverson use to say it's only practice. sure LT and sproles looked quick but when the D is goint half speed they better. Gates and Hester look like theve been lifting wieghts. cro dropped a punt retuern Again only practice. Who said Buster Daviis was there I did'nt see him and 1090 said English and Davis didn't participate:icon_party:?

11. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    my bad buster wast at the evening practice, I guess I just missed him:abq2: