1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp - Thursday 7/26 Updates + Pics

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    IMG_1055_Edited.jpg Got to go to a Season Ticket holder only TC practice (First full squad practice) and here are a few thoughts (Will post pics as well):

- Players were out early and working hard, ive been to a ton of TC practices before and never saw that many guys out warming up and practicing before practice even started

- Whitehurst got nailed in a Offense/Defense period. Looked like people got too bunched up and he fell over someone. They were only in shells and he's wearing red so he shouldnt have been hit, but these things happen when big men run fast. He was sitting on an Igloo the rest of practice with his knee iced and wrapped. He walked off at the end, but seemed pretty significant. Billy Volek here we come.

- Didnt see anything happen to Gaither, he was trying to stretch it out. Must not have been working cause he took the cart over to the building with a trainer, got off the cart and walked inside. Supposed to be a cramp. Didnt look significant.

- Gilchrist had a nice pick until he landed on Brandon Taylor and tweeked his ankle a little. He walked off on his own power and didnt return during the last hour. Looked like a slight ankle strain. He should be fine in a day or two. Both of them were looking really good. Brandon Taylor can play people.

- Rivers looked really solid. Seemed relaxed and made some great throws. He got fired up at Spurlock once for turning the wrong way on a pass and missing it. He is definitely in control out there. Hell even Norv was yelling and getting on people a lot. Most energy ive seen from him in a practice in a long time.

- Charlie was hit or miss while he was in, Jarret Lee seemed to be more in sync with the receivers, although he did throw a pick.

- Mathews was quick and agile, and looks so much bigger in his upper body this year. Ronnie Brown looked solid and made a spectacular one handed grab on an up route. Didn't see very much of Le'ron or Jackie Battle. They were blocking and not running the ball. Le'ron is a big monster of a fullback. He will hurt people. Jackie Battle is much thicker than I thought. Defintely built like a fullback. Edwin Baker seemed pretty quick, but Michael Hayes seemed faster and had better moves and rocked it in special teams.

- M80 made a sick deep post grab and a few other solid catches. He is the #1 to me. Meachem caught most everything thrown at him and looked fluid. Eddie Royal caught a couple but then went to the sideline with a cramp of some kind. Vincent Brown made some great grabs as well. Richard Goodman dropped a wide open crossing route early in practice but then caught everything else thrown at him. Parrish and Spurlock both were running witht he first and second team here and there and were decent looking in general. Taylor Embree and Phillip Payne both made some good grabs. Both are quick and tall.

- Didnt see much with the O-Line as they were on the other field most of the time, and they werent doing any serious blitzing drills, we'll see as it goes on.

- Gates made a great catch and was working solidly all day. Didnt see much but blocking out of the rest of the TE's although Rosarrio caught one as well.

- Cam Thomas looks huge and strong and ready to start at NT, Vaughn was super quick and Liuget seemed to be moving a little quicker (Especially compared to the end of last year). Aubrayo Franklin looks kinda Cesaire-ish which is a good thing IMHO, and Cesaire seemed in good spirits even though he is looking to be ont he outside in this group. Reyes is a huge physical specimen. Reminds me a little of Jevon Kearse (Hopefully in his early healthy years). Garay looked solid. The UDFA Garrett Brown looked really good, big boy with a lot of strength. Coaches and players a like were giving him props going through the sleds and bags. Could be a practice squad candidate.

- Linebackers werent doing a whole lot. Shaun Phillips was working with Ricky Elmore a lot trying to school him. Melvin looked quick, but really didnt get to see them do much since they cant hit. TKO looked solid as always, DB looks great, and Jarret Johnson looks like he means business. Larry English was there and working! Mouton looked pretty healthy and Gachkar seemed to be stepping up. He recovered a fumble by one of the receivers.

- Jammer looks like a new man, he looks ripped strong and quick. Cason seemed to be quicker turning and pursuing. Shareece Wright made some great pass defends. Gilly was doing solid work until he hurt his ankle. One to watch is the kid De'andre Pressley from Applachian State. Played QB/WR and some DB there. Playing DB for us. He is a major athlete. And the coaches were on him and schooling him which usually means they care.

- Weddle and the safeties looked solid. Bigby is a little shorter but more solid than I thought. Brandon Taylor really looks like a great player. Stucket si still here but not doing a whole lot.

- Kickers kicked. Nate's job to lose i guess.

Looking forward to full pads practices.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
  3. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
  4. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Nice write up.......... good to hear that Baby Zilla is ready to take the reigns. :tup:

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Thanks for the info, great write up

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I had the RSVP to go but the 3pm check in was too early for me since I pick my kiddo up from school @ 245. Sucks I had to miss it. Thanks for the report Mike!!!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks Mike. Lotta good news there. I liked Presley a lot when he was at App State. Kinda forgot we had nabbed him.

Keep an eye on Reyes. He's gonna be a big deal for us.