1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by exodus, Jul 19, 2007.

1. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    So, I'm going to be in town next weeked during training camp. I'm not going for camp actually, but for the comic con, because I am a nerd. But anyway, I don't know where training camp is or anything. Is it open to the public? I was going to stop by on the 29th and watch for a little bit if I can. If you guys can help me out with some info on where Charger Park is and what times they'll be out there and stuff, I'd appreciate it:icon_huh: :unsure:

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Oh... I dunno. Ya don't look so nerdy to me! :icon_huh:

[​IMG]

:icon_tease: :icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    If you've been in Qualcomm this might help

[​IMG]

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    You can wear your Merriman Raiders jersey.:icon_razz:

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    damn, someones smoking cronic down there.... :icon_rofl:

4 days... M'Fers...

2 pm - Be There....

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    So, I am going now. Because Saturday sold out. But anyways, what exactly do you do at training camp. You know, cause I've never been or anything?

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sit on your *** and watch guys do football type activities. It gets pretty hot out there. Bring sunblock.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    What? I don't need a ticket to watch training camp, do I?

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    no no, I meant my geek friends at the comic con. I was going to go on Sat, but they're sold out. So now I can go to training camp because I'll have to go to the con on Fri.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ok for you guys who have never been to TC:

Parking is limited, so unless you wanna walk a mile or two, get there early. I'd say at least an hour.

Second, seating is limited as well. There are 2 sets of bleachers, as you walk into Charger Park you'll see some booths set up (merch, other stuff) then a huge set of bleachers. DO NOT SIT THERE. All the good team action (7 on 7, O vs. D, kick coverage, ect.) is better seen from the fence or the bleachers (which are much smaller and it's hard to get a seat if you are not early) of the 2 north fields.

Unless you are an autograph seeker, my advice is get the hell away from the fence as soon as practice ends of suffer getting smashed by the hordes of people trying to get **** signed. Once I see the team huddle together w/ the coaches after all the drill, I bounce, because of a) autograph whores, and b) traffic on Murphy Road get bad as soon as it ends.

It's hot inside that canyon. Bring PLENTY of water and sunscreen. There is a concession stand where you can buy burgers, dogs, sodas, water, and other snacks, but just like @ a game, that **** is overpriced. $1 bottle of water for $3.

I've been to a ton of TC practices over the last few years and I thnk my strategy is effective, just depends on what you want out of it. In a nutshell, it's just practice. It's really cool though when you see the guys getting close to the fans and feeding off the cheers. Lots of guys (Merriman in particular) love to play it up for the fans, so in that sense, it's a cool experience for all Charger fans. If you wanna be up close and personal, find a spot on that fense and stand your ground. Myself, I prefer to sit in the bleachers and watch it all, players and fans.

There is no charge to attend camp, but I'd advise you birng a few bucks, just in case.

If you wanna meet up and hang out with fellow Bolttalkers (I think I'm gonna try to find Conc and harrass him the whole time), probably best to identify yourselves w/ a picture. SO on that note, this is me:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    No tailgate this year i take it?

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    there better be!!!
    I need my carne asada fix

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Found this little piece on NFL.com,
    http://nfl.com/teams/primer/SD

KEY CAMP QUESTIONS

Philip Rivers
    What impact will Norv Turner have on Philip Rivers?
    Turner has a reputation for developing quarterbacks, from Troy Aikman to Alex Smith. Turner's quarterback tutelage is one of the reasons why general manager A.J. Smith hired him as the team's new head coach. Rivers passed for 3,388 yards and 22 TDs in his first full season as a starter, so Turner has some talent to work with.

Will there be a hangover effect from last season's disappointing finish?
    The past two Super Bowl champions (Pittsburgh and Indianapolis) battled back from disappointing playoff losses to win the Super Bowl, so fans in San Diego are hoping that trend will continue. Veterans such as LaDainian Tomlinson said the experience was invaluable.

Who will become the Chargers' go-to receiver?
    The Chargers are another team lacking a big-play receiver, but that problem has often been overlooked with the presence of Tomlinson and tight end Antonio Gates on the roster. Still, the Chargers are going to need some production from receiver, so it is up to Vincent Jackson, Eric Parker or rookie Craig Davis to take charge of the position.

TOP POSITION BATTLE

Clinton Hart
    Eric Weddle vs. Clinton Hart
    Weddle was somewhat of a surprise second-round pick to most Chargers fans, but he will be competing for Terrence Kiel's vacated position. Weddle, a one-time cornerback at Utah, earned a reputation as a ball hawk. It shouldn't be long before he becomes a starter for the Chargers.

ROOKIE SPOTLIGHT

WR Craig Davis
    The Chargers passed on USC's Dwayne Jarrett because they wanted a burner, and Davis certainly has the speed. Look for Davis to emerge as San Diego's slot receiver, which should open up the middle of the field for Antonio Gates.

ON THE SPOT

Norv Turner and A.J. Smith
    Smith took quite a risk jettisoning Schottenheimer in favor of Turner while the expectations in San Diego are so high. Anything less than a Super Bowl championship, and this duo could feel the same pressure that plagued Schottenheimer.

FANTASY FOCUS

Vincent Jackson
    Now the unquestioned No. 1 wide receiver in San Diego after the release of Keenan McCardell, Jackson has a ton of sleeper value. A big, physical presence, Jackson will no doubt become one of Rivers' favorite targets and has a chance to become a viable No. 3 fantasy wideout.

16. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Thanks RTL!!

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    F'in A *man*... someone gets it... put Davis in the Slot and he'll lite up a Cover-2.....

can't wait...

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Just watch 'em practice. You'll have fun though

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'd love to tailgate b4 TC, but I just can't. I work graveyards, so I'll be working all night both friday and saturday, so I gotta sleep sometime b4 practice (Wish it was earlier than 4p :(). I'll get off work @ 7am Sat then get home, sleep, and hopefully be out there by 2 or 3.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Comic Con rules!!!! :tup:

First time I went was in 1989. It has grown a lot since then. Got to meet John Romata Sr. at the Comic Con in the early 90's. Nobody was at his booth for some strange reason. Had him sign some comics and got to just chat with him for about half an hour. Very cool.

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    2 days...

22. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Anybody going on sunday?

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Maybe, depends on how wasted I get the night before. :icon_twisted:

24. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Anyone know when we'll get some up to date video at the official website? NFL network was showing press conference video from the camp yesterday, but Chargers.com doesn't have anything that's not months old.:icon_shrug:

25. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Chargers.com lags...We had it posted here that all our rooks signed before they did.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    i'll be there at 3pm, does anyone else plan on coming? I suggest we do some carpooling near charger park because parking sucks

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I know someone who works for the company that does their web site, and I believe they are pretty much 9 to 5, and maybe have a few people working late. So if stuff happens in the evening, there may be some lag time.

28. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm going to want to get there a little before three today, just so I can meet people from here if anyone wants to congregate. There are a couple of businesses down the street from Chargers park where I might park, so carpooling would be a plus. I'm thinking that parking close to Clairemont Mesa Blvd would be good, since that's still within walking distance.