1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trent Dilfer breaks down Rivers 20INTs in 2011

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    For what it's worth...

TDESPN: http://twitter.com/TDESPN

Just finished 5 hour on Rivers & Palmer's 2011 TD's & Int's. Interesting stuff. Let's see what the tape says. #TruthIsInTheTape

Rivers Of his 20 int's in 2011 I broke them down into categories. When you look at the trends it is easier to evaluate

Rivers 9 of 20 int's came vs man to man cov. Very surprising, considering before last year he was on of the best vs man cov

Rivers 6/9 int's vs man cov were under thrown 2/9 over throws & 1/9 was tipped at line of scrimmage. 3/9 were also poor decisions

Rivers 7/20 int's came vs 5+ pass rushers (some type of blitz). Of those 7 plays only two of them created conflict in the pocket

Rivers 5/20 int's I categorized as PD/OA (poor decision/overly aggressive). This number is NOT HIGH relative to other NFL QB's

Rivers 5/20 int's categorized as NOQB (not on quarterback).= there is NOTHING he did wrong, gr8 play by D or error by teammate

Rivers The worst part of the study was that 8/20 int's came while Chargers were in scoring territory. CTP int's=Cost team points

Those that say an int is an int, YOU ARE WRONG! Not all int's are created equal & each has a different stink. Objectivity=proper evaluation

Rivers TD tape is much more enjoyable to watch. Rivers can stick in the zone with the best of them. 27 TD's and most were #Dimes

Rivers Tight RZ passing takes anticipation, suddenness of mind, eyes & release and precise location. 12TD's & 0int's is very good

Rivers Tight RZ passing (12 yd line and in) isn't talked about enough. Hardest place to throw the ball. Rivers #dealt 12TD/0int

Rivers Tight RZ passing takes anticipation, suddenness of mind, eyes & release and precise location. 12TD's & 0int's is very good

Rivers uses his eyes to manipulate D w/the best. On at least 10/27 TD's he used his eyes to tweak defense and open up TD throw

Rivers/Chargers Norv loves dbl moves by rec & wr's to create chunk plays. 7/20 TD's came off dbl moves

Hope you have a better understanding of Rivers 2011 season after #filmstudy. #TheTruthIsInTheTape Carson's TD/INT breakdown later tonight

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Wait, I'm confused now....... does Rivers suck or not? ;)

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Well, that depends on which group you pay more attention to, the "it's another season, let's see what happens" group or the "everybody sucks because it's Norv, AJ & Spanos fault so fire everyone" group. The former are rational & boring. The latter are loud, whiny & easy to spot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He still sucks, just not as bad as some would like you to think.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    "Rivers 7/20 int's came vs 5+ pass rushers (some type of blitz). Of those 7 plays only two of them created conflict in the pocket"

Two were due to pass rush.

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If 5 were "not his fault" that's 15 INT's you can put on PR's shoulders.

5 of those 15 were PR making a bad decision/being overly aggressive - which according to Trent, is statistically much lower than most QB's.

My take-away, based on this breakdown, is that the 20INT stat from 2011 isn't as troubling as I previously thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If you think about how often we throw deep, and how our O-line is always battered, it's amazing Rivers doesn't throw 20+ picks every year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I wish I could agree with you Syd...but every QB has plenty of "not his faults." It's just part of the game.
    Can't really write 'em off. It makes us feel better, but unless we subtract the clumsy receiver-deflected passes
    of Brady, Brees, etc., it's kind of misleading to take much comfort in that "15" number.
    Further, 4 INTs in only 30 preseason attempts is hardly reinforcing the "last year was a once in a career fluke"
    narrative that I so want to believe. I think PR is a top-tier QB...but I've never been so unsure of it as I am today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    That's even more confusing...... I consider myself in the first group, but I've been told that I complain too much. ;)

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Rivers' ints weren't typically atrocious plays, but alot of them were game breakers. Whether they were his fault or not, the ball getting picked as often as it was last season killed us. Whether it's the line playing better to allow Rivers more time, the receivers playing the ball more aggressively, the backs running more efficiently to reduce third/second and long situations, or Rivers being more willing to take the checkdown, the team as a whole needs to play better in order to reduce our turnover rate, so that we can get a bigger impact from the turnovers we force from our opponents.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I have two theories on the reason for Rivers preseason pick rate. 1) Rivers has become rattled, and is making mistakes because of it. or, 2) Rivers is making high-risk throws to his new receivers in the preseason to see how they respond before the interceptions actually count.

12. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Sorry, doesn't work that way. You can't assign yourself to a group, someone else has to put you in a group. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm not writing them off I'm just saying, in terms of PR's individual performance (not compared to anyone else but him) looking at the breakdown of those 15 picks that you can attribute to him vs. other players, I'm not AS troubled by the picks as I was before. I'm still troubled by it. Interceptions suck donkey balls.

On a separate note... I also think it's good to know that pure overzealous/boneheaded plays by PR are comparatively less common than with other QB's. It's a positive I prefer to cling to in these dark times :x3:

The pre-season picks definitely make me nervous... however, it's also pre-season and it's hard to get a fair assessment with such a limited number of plays + with vanilla schemes + Oline issues, etc... when they had an offensive rhythm going (which was admittedly rare) there was some good stuff there, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic and will "wait and see" how these first few games shake out. IMO, it's hard to be too super confident in either direction (good or bad) with so much up in the air right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    You had me at "suck donkey balls."

No, seriously, I agree with most of that, and--as much as it pains me to agree with Ike--I do think he's right
    re. PR kind of thinking "Aw, what the Hell...try to wing it in there...preseason don't count, anyway."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I typically post well-rationed thoughts, even if some of them are outrageously non-mainstream, so I'm not sure why it hurts you so. We'll find out which Rivers were going to have with this line setup starting Monday. I sincerely hope it's the elite clutch QB and not the rattled pick machine.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I hereby note that your thoughts are rationed. :)
    Hey, I was trying (in my lovable, backhanded way) to pay you a a bit of a compliment...I'm not exactly Barney.

Lance The Sweet Adorable Cub.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When you throw the ball they way the Bolt's do bad things are going to happen, they just try and minimize them. It would be very nice if they had that MIA power running game going to keep defensive units honest but you have to play the hand that is dealt you.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    The game on Wednesday was a good example. Dallas was getting zero push from it's OL and the running game was not there. Did they just keep battering away at it? No, they went to the air almost exclusively (until they had a 2 score lead) and won the game. I think many of our games, including the first, may play out in simular fashion.

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. Rivers is as aggressive a thrower as Favre, but he has nowhere near Favre's INTs. Favre's career TD ratio is 4.2% and his career INT ratio is 4.2%. Rivers' career TD ratio is 5.4% and his career INT ratio is 2.6%. But Favre is a first ballot HOF and Rivers "can't be trusted to protect the football" after one season of 20 INTs. Rivers TD/INT ratio (5.4/2.60) is actually better than Montana's (5.1/2.6), even though Rivers averages 8.0 yards per attempt in a deep passing offense while Montana averaged only 7.5 yards per attempt in a shorter throw/greater YAC offense.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why does everyone look this deep into it? He had a horrible season, if he really is a elite QB he'll bounce back and put on a show.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Perhaps some of us are looking "too deep" but an assessment like "he had a horrible season" is a view so shallow as to have no value. Rivers had a sub-par year compared with previous seasons of excellence, but to call it horrible would seem a bit harsh.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Rivers struggled last year with turnovers, but not for the entire season. The last 6 games, he only committed a few INTs.

23. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Damn Calm down, wait till at least week 5 to start making judgement calls. The sky is falling!!! LOL You folks crack me up at times.:rolleyes:

24. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    It's the only thing that's been talked about involving Rivers this entire Off-Season. So excuse if I sound a bit annoyed with it all. I just hope this season doesn't become Rivers avoiding tough throws because he's afraid to throw picks. Just do what comes natural and he'll be fine.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    None to break down from last night.

Maybe Rivers is listening. :rolleyes:

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, a guy who is 6th in passing yards and 8th in passing TD's sucks.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He didn't look afraid to throw the ball last night

• Agree Agree x 1