1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trent Dilfer FILM STUDY - SD Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    [​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Gates open all day under 15 yards vs Jets, but Rivers looking at Jackson&Floyd getting owned most of the time by Jets DB's
    10 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O: 2nd half of Jets game was a debacle. Rivers confused by cov, Jackson&Floyd couldn't get open & two min O was dysfunctional
    14 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O: Rivers at his best on 3rd dn, HE BEATS YOU W/THE BALL. 2nd best 3rd down O in league, one of the most crucial stats in FB.
    17 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Screen game is huge weapon, 10.3/ATT 2nd best in NFL. Norv dials them up at the right time and they take adv of D flaws.
    22 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Gates still one of the best, but foot injury has robbed him of explosiveness and taken away big play potential.
    28 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O: Absence of Glamour plays is most noticeable difference in O production, points are down because 6/9 int's in scoring area
    33 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Run game has been very good, especially in short yardage/goaline situations.Middle of O-Line run blocking well.
    36 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Rivers has struggled throwing ball outside #'s as well, 3% completion percentage & 1.5 yard/attempt off 2010 pace.
    40 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Jackson is a BEAST when lined up in SLOT, but avg these days when on perimeter of field. Sideline passing game has struggled
    46 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O:Receivers struggling to get open when outside #'s, corners forcing them to "restart" their routes and messing w/timing of O
    48 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy SD O: Watched EVERY SNAP & Rivers not playing to usual "ELITE" level, but not as bad as people perceive. 4/9 int's not on him
    49 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    [​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D: 2nd half early down snaps vs SD they crowded the line and challenged receivers, but on 3rd dn they gave multiple looks
    25 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D: Good QB's struggle vs Jets because they change the picture after the ball is snapped, and take away what you do best.
    29 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D:Revis is the best I have seen at staying square to rec down field, he is very physical & gets away w/a lot, never panics!
    31 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D:Safeties and nickel played great MOF pass defense, complex schemes executed VERY well. They Confused & Frustrated Rivers
    34 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D: Revis and Cromartie played w/NO FEAR of Jackson running by them on outside, Revis rerouted him all day at line.
    36 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D: Single cov on Jackson most of the time outside #'s, doubled him EVERY time in slot, and traded him off on crossing routes
    38 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

»

[​IMG]

TDESPN Trent Dilfer

#filmstudy Jets D:Brilliant plan & execution, take away the big play of SD by eliminating Jackson in middle of the field & confuse 17 on 3rd
    40 minutes ago FavoriteRetweetReply

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is something that worries me. Teams are takign away Jackson, and other than short passes, we have no one else to make them worry about the other positions on the field. Someone needs to step up and make plays. I had hoped it woud be M80, maybe now it is time to see if Brown can.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It seems like last season Rivers was getting the ball high to the WR's. They were making the jump balls because of their height. I thought for sure that this would happen with Revis. Jackson can out jump him all day.

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    What happen to Walters?

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not sure. He had 3 catches in the first two games then went MIA. I am not sure he was on the active roster recently.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Norv happened.

Stop looking to hit home runs when a single is all we need. Take what the D is giving which is the short stuff. Dink and dunk the opponent to death. It's there, it's been there all year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its a good thing Manusky calls so much 10 yard cushion.

I'd be rude to make opposing WRs "restart their routes" and throw off their timing like the Jets did to our WRs.:confused:

9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    THats why i've said for several years we should get have jackson + another #1 type wr. Rivers Plus jackson and say julio jones or someone of that nature would be unbeatable.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's not Manusky. It's our corners. This has been going on long before Manusky was the DC.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Why would our CBs willingly allow opposing WRs a free release to the inside?

It happened a lot when Ted Cottrell was here, we gave up a lot of 3rd and 5s because our DBs were 10yds off and couldn't make a tackle in time. And it almost NEVER happened when Ron Rivera was here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vardog

Vardog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Good observation and I agree. Looking back at the DVR of the Jets game, the DBs were off the WRs an easy 10 yards...sometimes 12 yards! IMO, I would rather have physical coverage with an occasional interference call than to give up 6+ yards on a quick screen over and over.

13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    While I agree with you in theory...

Problem was, in this game in particular, it wouldn't be the occasional interference call. The Chargers weren't able to get away with legal plays let alone playing physical. While the Jets were able to get away with murder at times. Not an excuse but I would imagine that it had at least some effect.

Honestly... it's probably not any one thing either, but a combination of factors. All of which I hope we can improve upon in KC, because if we play like that on Monday? Ugh... no bueno :poop:

14. Vardog

Vardog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    LOL...I forgot about the "occasional" interference call the Bolts get while defending :) It's going to be interesting Monday, that's for sure. That's the only game I haven't decided on for my football pool.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The putrid PI calls had nothing to do with jamming a reciever at the line, the LJ was claiming that the CB interfered with the reciever when the ball was already in the air.

There is always give and take.
    Giving a big cushion :
    + You shouldn't get beat deep.
    + Easier to play the ball in the air.
    + Less penalties. (In theory).
    - Recievers run free, and in timing based passing games (LIKE THE PATRIOTS) giving a cushion will kill you.
    - Pass rush can be eliminated because all the QB has to do is throw it quickly, knowing the CB isn't in position. Doesn't matter for us, because we don't even attempt to rush the passer anyway.

Jamming at the line:
    + Recievers get frustrated when they have to reset their route.
    + QBs get frustrated when WRs have to reset their route. (IE: Rivers vs Jets)
    + Timing is thrown off.
    + QB is forced to think a second longer, and pass rush has a better chance of getting there.
    - More PI calls when the CB is chasing the WR.
    - Succeptible to big plays, espescially if pass rush can't get there.
    - Fatigue.