1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trevor Coughman

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by tboltzcali, Apr 3, 2008.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Thanks Kwak...forgot game was tied. REGARDLESS, as soon as trev came in, I pretty much walked away from the screen. Knew he was gunna blow it. People need to stop livin the hoffy from the past and live the hoffy today. he is not as dominant as he was. If you do put him into the ninth, make sure you have atleast a 4 run lead. Not a save situation? He will mostlikely turn it into one.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Yeah, I know

I was just pointing it out even though I knew it was just a technicality

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    When have you ever known a proffesional sports player in any sport for any team to do something like that?

"I'm sorry, boss, I'm just not that good any more, demote me"

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Also, why would want someone on the team who doesn't want to do his best for the team in the most important role the manager allows him to do so in?

That's why Bud Black has a job. It's his job description to determine who's best suited for which roles.

The players' roles are to do their best in the positions they're placed in by their manager.

I find it kinda silly to hate a guy for not asking his manager to demote him.

Especially when that guy is the 2nd biggest icon in the franchise's history, 2nd only to #19.

I guarantee it takes a year tops for 51 to be on the wall in centerfield after Trevor retires.

If you truly feel Trevor shouldn't be closing anymore and want to hate someone because he still is direct your anger at Bud Black because it's him that is keeping Trevor in that role.

Personally I still think it's too early to make that decision, but you're certainly entitled to disagree with that.

5. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Completely agree, hate is the wrong word, I do however feel like he is done and should retire

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    As a Dodger fan, I can't say that I'm concerned about Trevor Hoffman's early struggles as the 2008 season gets under way.

That said, I sill think that the Padres will be LA's prime competition for the NL West division titile.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    My concern at this point is the LOB

we left 18 yesterday

that's just not gonna get it done

:tdown:

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

What does that have to do with Hoffman?

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    oh, so f'n sorry, didn't mean to change the thread topic.

That's a f'n first around here

:icon_party:

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    The All-Star break is a good point to measure how he is doing.

I will reserve judgment until then.

But if he can't keep his fastball north of 85 and hit his spots, he is just serving up batting practice.

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    I knew there was something wrong with you :icon_tease:

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    No hoffman, enough offense...padres win...go figure.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    I just don't get why any Padres fan would say he hates Trevor.

That'd be like saying you hate LT in 4 or 5 years after he starts to break down.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

HEY!!

I BACKED OFF THE HATE COMMENT!!!

ANYWAYS, WE NEED RUNS LIKE LAST NIGHT!!

AND A PADRE SMILE ICON!!!!!

:icon_party::icon_party::icon_party:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You got that **** right.

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    The average SD fan has no appreciation

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I will say it this way why I hate right now Trevor Hoffman.

I once had a very big set of homer glasses for Joey Cora When he was a Padre. I was thinking that he was going to be like a Tony Gwynn type of player as with respectability with the fans. My hopes were destroyed when he was traded to the White Sox. That is why now I do not have that much of a set of Homer Glasses any more because of my Joey Cora Homeristic ways.

Since Trevor Hoffman is in my opinion in his twilight of career that he Trevor should, not just Bud Black say that he is done and not have, I will say it ( an Ego ), to say that he can still play at the level he has in the past. I do not want any more blown saves that would be almost a guaranteed win. Trevor should just set up Bell like Scott Linebrink did for us. That is my opinion where I think he would be effective.

I would have no more hatred for him if that is what Trevor would do.

That is why I want Heath Bell saving now. It is his time. I do not want like a LT & Michael Turner thing here with the Padres. In that we will possibly trade or send Bell down to the minors or trade him to another team that would have an excellent closer instead of the Pads. I think Heath Bell is more than ready to handle that saves for us.

That is all my thoughts about my hatred for Trevor Hoffman.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Are you seriously comparing Joey Cora to the likes of Tony Gwynn and Trevor Hoffman? :icon_huh:

Again, no professional sports player worth his salt is going to ask to be demoted none.

Furthermore, I do not want a professional sports player on any of my teams that would ask to be demoted.

I want the players on my favorite teams to want to succeed at the most important levels for my favorite teams.

If they're not good enough to succeed at such levels it's the manager's job to know this and not give them that opportunity. (Or the General Manager's if they're not even good enough to be at the major league level.)

Do you think Tony Gwynn would have asked Bruce Bochy to bench him if his knees didn't keep him out all together?

No he would not have. Tony, just like Trevor, and just like any pro athlete out there wants to start. (Or in a relief pitcher's case, to close.)

To single out Trevor for wanting what every professional athlete wants is just silly and downright disrespectful to the 2nd greatest Padres icon in franchise history.

None of us do, but that's not what this discussion is about.

Then hate Bud Black for not making it as such, it's his decision.

My contention isn't about who's best but about why you shouldn't hate the guy for doing what his manager tells him to do.

The Bell/Hoffman thing is apples and oranges to the LT/Michael Turner thing.

They're not going to send Bell to the minors....ever. (unless he gets hurt and needs to make a rehab game or two.)

They're also not going to trade Bell unless they have someone equally as good to take his place. (Which is why they had no problem trading Linebrink....cuz Bell was there.)

Trevor Hoffman remaining in the closer's role will not make Heath Bell go elsewhere.

The Padres still, and will always need a set up man.

Furthermore, regardless of how effective Trevor is or isn't this year he's going to retire eventually....and probably fairly soon.

Are you going to have similar thoughts on LaDainian Tomlinson in 5 or 6 years if he starts breaking down but still wants to start and whomever the Chargers HC is at the time accommodates him?

Because I can tell you right now, if LT is 36 years old and not half as elusive or fast as he is right now and his head coach tells him he can still be the feature back he is not going to say "sorry coach, I'm not that good anymore, start someone else." He's going to start.

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    With that I say yes. I was at the time one of Joey Cora's biggest fans. He was in my opinion gaining the fan respectibilty that Tony Gwynn had.

For this. If it were me I would ask for the demotion because I knew my skill level is waining I would have to to what is in the best interest for the team and ask for the demotion. I would as well ask to be benched if I were injured enough to not play if I could not contribute the way that the team needed me for. I would then asked if I were injured to be if I were in Baseball to be put on a DL list. Just because if I were one of the biggest icons a tram has I would still ask for the demotion. So that is me.

I will not hate Bud Black right now. I want Trevor to say to Bud that he is done. I know that is unrealistic but it is my thoughts about what I want.

With this that you quoted me on. I did not say it at all.

This is where I disagree with the apples/oranges. There is a similar thing with two great athletes doing the same thing which in the Hoffman and Bell thing is the are Pitchers and with the LT and Turner thing they are RB's. They all 4 do their jobs excellently. Just my thoughts on this is still I do not want Bell to sent anywhere. and I want Trevor to be our set up man. That is my opinion.

On this I will have the same thoughts I have about Trevor Hoffman because if LT starts to costs the Chargers wins because of his skills were waining then yes I will start to hate on him as well. Again that is just my opinion.

I know that again what I want is for Trevor Hoffman to say that he is done is unrealistic but it is all my thoughts about Hoffman's skills right now. So yes I still have hate until Trevor Hoffman says what I want him to say.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    That doesn't negate the fact that Joey Cora was not that good while Tony Gwynn is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and Trevor is a future Hall of Famer.

That's all fine and dandy but Trevor Hoffman, Tony Gwynn, LaDainian Tomlinson, or any other pro sports player would not do the same.

At least not for the part about asking to be benched just because they're older.

I can see sports players telling the manager they're injured and that is affecting their play, but that's not the case with Trevor and that's not what you're asking him to do.

It just seems weird to me that you would direct your anger at Trevor for not doing something that nobody else in the sport would do and not at the guy who's call it is and who's job it is to make the determination that you have made. (whether or not he's still fit for the role.)

Huh? Didn't say what at all? This is in response to me saying that I'm not discussing who's better for the closer role right now but discussing why you hate Trevor, right?

The apples and oranges part comes in because you expressed concern that this would lead to the same outcome as LT/Turner (the other guy going elsewhere.)

It's also not the same thing because with LT/Turner one was a starter the other was a back up that didn't see much time.

Heath Bell pitched in 81 games last year. He still gets significant play time as a set up man....and is still in a very important role.

Some argue that Heath's role is actually more important than Trevor's because he often comes in with runners in scoring position and has to end the scoring threat while Trevor pretty much always comes in to start the 9th and the bases empty.

These people agree with you that Heath is the best reliever on the team right now.....but like the roles as is because of this opinion.

I don't necessarily agree with that opinion, just throwing it out there.

Well, at least you're consistent. :icon_toast:

Fair enough, then.

I think we've pretty much discussed the whole issue effectively now.

22. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Is 3 enough tonite?? we will see....