1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Trolley service stops en-route to Chargers game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    http://www.10news.com/news/24634308/detail.html

So this was my first experience with San Diego public transportation. I fugured I could save a few bucks by parking downtown and taking the trolley to the game.

Next thing I know, I'm among hundreds of football fans stranded at the fashion mall waiting for busses to take us to the game. The busses took FOREVER to get there, but the news vans showed up right away. What the hell, San Diego???

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Dude, I was in the same boat. I always park at Hazard Center, which is one stop past Fashion Valley Mall. As me & my son are driving up, we see this large group of people start walking away from the trolley station. I park and we walk up to see what's going on. "Not running", we're told. "try Mission Valley". Now, my son is 5. Not an easy hike with him but we try it anyway. Once again, "not running". So we schlep it back to Hazard Center.

Hop in my car and drive to the stadium. At that point, it's about 1 hour til kickoff & I'm hoping the stadium parking lot isn't full. We get in, cough up the $25 to park & make it in time to catch the National Anthem.

Before this game, I hadn't parked in the stadium for a game since 2004.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    One of the gals that buys season seats from me told me that she was on one of those trolleys, and she didn't get into the stadium until some time during the first quarter. I understand that it was due to a fire? Totally messed up stuff.

Pointy :icon_evil:

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    A power line came down somewhere east of the Hazard Center station and started a small grass fire. I got to the ticket booth for the trolley at Hazard Center and got the bad news. Luckily, I always go early so my friend and I hopped in the car and paid the $25 bucks for parking (When I used to tailgate down there in the '90s it was only $7 or $8) and got there in plenty of time in spite of about a mile of bumper to bumper traffic from Friars Road to the actual parking lot.

Going in to the stadium, security was giving me grief about my small camera bag...aaaarrrgggghh!

I guess it was preseason for everybody.

5. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    My mom was on the trolley and got caught in this mess. They were told they were going to be put onto buses, but they ended up switching tracks and continued to the stadium. She got to her seat right before kickoff. They missed all the pre-game stuff though.

6. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Glad I got through before that happened. I rode from El Cajon and got to the Stadium around 315.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The service is normally reliable. I use it all the time when I'm in town.

Sounds like you got boned, though.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    **** happens.

I've been taking the trolley for 7 years now. Saturday's problem was only one of a few that they've had over the years to cause any serious delays for people. Normally, as Leo said, it's very reliable.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Aren't you a LA fan? what is that shiit they call mass transit in downtown LA anyway?

:icon_twisted:

10. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    At the gate check, the Elite person wouldn't allow someone's small backpack that didn't fit into their little box. It appeared that it didn't have anything inside that would have been a concern, so I though the policy to be inflexible. Sometimes they even look through binoculars to make sure you aren't bringing in some illicit liquid substance that adults can drink, except on the beach.

Can't really blame the guard...just doing the job she was told to do, and besides that, probably had the fear of losing said job.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I have been taking my Camera and its bag inside for 3 years now, and I have never had a problem with it.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    My phone takes good enough pictures and it fits right in my pocket.

13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I now know where these places are and I can visualise them all- Thank you San Diego for Last November- was a pleasure :tup::tup: