1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

True Linebacker Dominance...Donnie Edwards:

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thunderstruck, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
  2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    A couple more examples of insane linebacker dominance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No pass rush :icon_evil:

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Thanks for posting this Thunderstruck. Donnie was workhorse on Sunday, and one of he few positives on a bad defensive outing.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    why has hating on Donnie become the usual mantra?

Who's better than him that we are to replace him with?

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Solid tackling by Donnie. Video shows he knowsnhow to wrap a player up unlike some LBs in the league that go for the big hit, but often don't wrap up and miss a fair share of tackle because of it. I for one am glad we've got Edwards. He is a real positive for this defense!

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I agree!:tup:

The funny part is, so many complain about him yet what does that say about the rest of the defense when, according to so many, our worst defender has led our team in tackles the past what....3-4 years!!!:icon_huh:

Listen, I'm not gonna sit here and say he is the best we have but the guy has led our team for so many years. It's just as easy to sit here and say that maybe Donnie has so many tackles because he makes the ones that others miss!:icon_shrug:

It seems more like people want the glitz & glamour with the player like a Merriman. Bottom line.....Donnie gets the job done.

Get over it!!!

8. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Donna gets drug WAY too much for my tastes....

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Thanks for the video.

After watching it and reading the comments in here, some of you guys do not know what the hell you are watching obviously.

That video is hideous. If you guys can not see that Donnie Edwards sucksass and can not picture what it should look like, should not even comment.

That is embarassing video and why AJ wants to kick Donnas labia out of San Diego.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Further, this is where you stat mensas blow it big time because someone will say "but look at the number of tackles"

Try looking at the tackles themselves instead of how many and if it is still not dawning on you, then sit down.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Look at the video. How many of those plays couldn't have been made by virtually any linebacker with above-average speed. Donnie's the least-physical linebacker I've ever seen, and he sure makes a lot of tackles after a guy catches the ball for big yards. No it's not always his fault but the short of it is; he sucks in run-support and is only above average in pass-coverage.

We can do better than DE.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    His name is Matt Wilhelm.....

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    there, I changed the font for you so people can read it :icon_shrug:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Donna does not have the gleam!!!

Now this dude BELOW has the gleam.

Watch sucka'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If you notice on the bottom animation who is arriving last ?

#59 Donna

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    But there are a LOT of 350-lb nose-tackles who can run sideline-to-sideline and maul running backs, right?

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I can't believe people actaully thought this thread was an endorsement of Edwards; look at him get plowed in the first video T-Struck provides!!!

:icon_rofl:

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    No, I think it's more like maybe it wouldn't be necessary for an ILB to make quite so many tackles if we had a guy who could close a gap consistently. Say what you will about the rest of the secondary...Donnie wasn't exactly doing his part to stymie the Bengals defense. And as they continued to move the chains and attack his zone he continued to rack up tackles. Wow. Impressive.

Donnie's good enough when the defense is healthy, the d-line is getting push, and we can protect against teams running right at him. But when the defensive line is not dominating you really start to see how soft Donnie is. Guys who play physical aren't always going to get the tackle. Donnie avoids blockers to stay on his feet, so yeah...when the RB finally falls down he'll be there to make the touch.

You see ILB blow up plays. Donnie never blows up a play. He stays on his feet and is usually in the vicinity of the ball, therefore he gets credit for a lot of tackles. But 75% of his tackles don't change the outcome of the play. Again, look at JCDavey's compilation from Sunday and ask yourself how many time he was credit with a tackle for falling on top of a RB who was already on the ground, or touching down a receiver who just caught a pass in his zone, or being at the end of a QB sneak...

It's ridiculous the way people point out this guy's tackle-stats without actually looking at his tackles.

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Because Donnie was once good and he now makes $3.5 million. And because Marty fears non-veterans.

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Him using horrid technique near the goalline and absorbing the contact like a sled dummy is fairly typical Donnie. The part that makes it art is how even after the guy has obviously crossed the goalline and has scored Donnie is just getting into "ankle-biter" mode. I'm surprised he didn't get a penalty for "unnecessary gnawing."

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. It's almost a guarantee that if Donnie has alot of tackles, we've had a bad day defensively.

Donnie's a drag down tackler, and that's just not what you want in a middle linebacker. Donnie's still good in coverage, good at reading QBs and breaking on the ball, but he can't take on blocks, and he doesn't make plays in the running game. Sure, he gets tackles, but he doesn't make plays. He's just not an impact player, except occasionally when he drops into zone coverage, but even that part of his game has slipped.

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I will give Donnie credit for having been a pretty good player for a long time. But this video is aweful. While I'm glad that he'll be gone at the end of the year there is still a bit of a question mark with regards to his replacement. I'm a big Matt Wilhelm fan and I think that by the begining of 2007 Wilhelm will be an upgrade over Donnie (assume Matt gets a little better and Donnie gets a little worse). But until the guy starts a few games we just don't know how he's gonna work out. Remember the Zeke Moreno experiment? He was supposed to be an answer too...

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The game of salary politics comes into play.

How would it look to play a cheaper and better Wilhelm ? :yes: :icon_eek:

It makes the powers to be look really stupid so you play the salary politics game.

A little birdie told me this for what it is worth......it made me sick to hear it. :icon_evil:

24. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Trumpie, I usually agree with ya but standing on the other side of the street on this one. Look at the stats from last year.....http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/stats/SD/2005/regular
    You can say all you want, he doubled the next person in tackles. Was second on the team with 2 int's and almost doubled the next guy in assists. If he isn't making the tackles he is atleast around the ball. Like I said earlier, can we do better? Absolutely! But he is a guy around the ball and makes the tackles. Sorry, but 152 tackles isn't by falling ontop of a player after he falls as one has mentioned here.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Zeke Moreno sucked from Day ONE. There was no talent or upside whatsoever. Even in camp he looked liked a turtle.

Wilhelm has talent and upside and that is way way obvious. To me at least it is way obvious. Polk is crap while I am on a roll.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Again just watch the video.

I got into a conversation this year with one of the official stat guys from the NFL at our tailgater. They are responsible for recording tackles, etc etc etc....anyway the way tackles and assists are awarded is bullshiit....

Donnie can literally be smart and savvy enough to know he can arrive late and place a paw in the action and 1/2 sack his way to the top.

That is just the way it is in the NFL.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Marques Harris must really suck in run support for us to put Polk in there. Polk is a nice special teamer, but he doesn't belong on defense ever.

As for Donnie's "impact", he has 80+ tackles and 0 tackles for loss. Merriman has 35 tackles and 4 tackles for loss, in addition to 8.5 sacks. 30% of Merriman's plays have been made in the offensive backfield. Donnie's only play behind the line was a sack against the hapless Turds.

28. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    First things first guys....I'm not a Donnie advocate.

Ok, now, Merriman is used to rush the passer, where as Donnie is used more for pass coverage. So of course those stats that you gave will seem lopsided.:icon_huh: