1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tucker okay

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tucker okay

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008
    Chargers.com

What started out to be a great day for Jyles Tucker appeared for a moment to have gone wrong Monday night. Hours after signing a new five-year contract, Tucker had to leave the field after injuring his ankle. Fortunately, it appears Tucker will be fine.

“Jyles is alright,” Turner said. “He got rolled up on late. Obviously they called a penalty on it but he’s okay.”

Tucker finished the night with five tackles, second most among Chargers defenders.

Tough snap

Rivers took the blame for a mishandled exchange on the team’s first drive that cost the Chargers a chance to score. Center Jeremy Newberry snapped the ball like Rivers was under center but he was in a shotgun formation. The loose ball fell to the turf and Seattle recovered to end the threat.

“I didn’t say ‘gun’ in the huddle,” Rivers said. “I’m glad it happened now but there are some things you take for granted when you have a new center.”

Like all their starters, the Chargers’ top offensive line played into the third quarter and had an impressive showing.

“Obviously if you run for close to 90 yards in a half, the offensive line has got to be doing something good,” Turner said.

Happy for Malcom

Turner called out Malcom Floyd last week for his strong camp, and Floyd made his head coach look good Monday night. In addition to hauling in the game-winning two-point conversion, Floyd, caught three passes for 37 yards.

Two years ago, Floyd appeared on his way to a big role in the offense when an ankle injury suffered during a touchdown catch in Cincinnati ended his season early. Last season, Floyd got a bit lost in the shuffle but now appears ready to take hold of his place.

“He’s fought awfully hard,” Turner said. “He wasn’t active very many games last year but every time we’ve called on him this training camp and in games he’s made plays. He brings a dimension he brought to this team two years ago and it’s exciting for me to see him playing the way he is. He’s going to be a part of what we do.”

Floyd has expanded his responsibilities on special teams, which will help him get on the field more often this fall.

“We’ve got a good group of receivers, but there are things we’re going to ask him to do,” Turner said. “He’s improved a great deal as a special teams player. If you can play on special teams and then you can make plays in the passing game, your chances of getting a lot of action go up.”

First mishap

The bad exchange between Rivers and Newberry resulted in the Chargers’ first turnover of the preseason. The Bolts recovered a fumble and also got an interception from safety Brian Bonner late in the game to improve their turnover ratio to 6-1 on the preseason.

Nice night

After not playing against the Rams last week, Rivers was on the field for almost three full quarters and impressed his coach with his 11-for-21, 143-yard performance.

“Every time Philip gets out and goes it’s positive for him,” Turner said. “Just being in the game action, handling the situations that come up. He was sharp.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    thank heaven Tucker is AOK

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I LIKE THAT STAT!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    All this whining about the defense is justified but there is one thing they are good at and that's turnovers. Turnovers win us football games because we're the San Diego Chargers. For some reason we become unstoppable machines when we get turnovers.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I saw Cro actually make a good stick last night, I do believe it was Cro in the first half that came up and stuffed the play.

I'D send Jam on some blitzes, dude is good and sure at taking his man down.

The Bolt's need to put the finger in the **** to stop the hemorrhages on the run up the middle, they have looked weak up the gut this pre-season.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    pressure at least in part begets turnovers

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes: :icon_rofl:

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :tup: i still love merriman though:unsure:

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    This sounds like something Marty Schottenheimer would say... :lol: :yes: :tup:

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    lol. But points off turnovers are common in SD.

12. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good news. Even if Shawne makes it through the season, he's gonna need strong backup play from Tucker.

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Thank god, but he better not let a sack go again!