1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turn out the lights; the party is over

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    First of all let me start by saying I am a die hard Charger fan, but this season has seen me die more than most. That said, lets get to the brass tacks of the matter. The Chargers have not played well this season, and that might be an understatement.

They have allowed opposing teams to run more plays than any other team in the NFL this season. There is not just one reason for this, there are a plethora of reasons, none that will make the fans, management, players, trainers, water boys or cheerleaders any happier.

In the NFL or any team sport from Pop Warner to the big leagues, winning is rarely an accident. Winning is a culture, a mind set. A do or die determination to impose your will on the other team and rise up as the victor in the end. For many season, that culture, that very mindset was part of the San Diego Chargers mind set.

This team came from behind in many games. Back to back games, setting an NFL record when they fought back against the Benglas, one week after doing the same with the Broncos. This team beat a physical Tennessee Titans team, not once but twice last season after being man handled by their huge defensive line for the first half of the games. The Chargers had mental toughness, a never quite attitude.

Some will say that was instilled by Marty Shottenheimer when he was with the Chargers. Others will say the players looked each other in the eyes and knew what they had to do. Some will even go so far as to say it was the fan’s chants of “YOU CANT RUN” echoing through the Q that got it going. Fact is there is probably a nugget of truth to all of it, and more that we as fans cant even perceive.

The one harsh truth to all of this is that the 2008 San Diego Chargers have lost that mind set. They have lost the mental toughness, the mind set that they own what ever field they ‘click-clack’ out onto. To me it is a plain and simple truth, one that is as hard to swallow as it is to type out. The Chargers have lost not only their edge but their will.

In the aforementioned Titan’s games last season we played smash mouth, sock you so hard your grandma cries football. We ran the ball, ran the ball and ran it some more until the mammoth Titan’s defensive line could hardly stand up for three downs. This season, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the play calling, there is certainly no consistency or attempt to impose our will on the opposition. Why is that?

There are again a plethora of reasons. Injuries, Bad referee calls, poor game planning, loss of seasoned veterans in the off season, a funk in the locker room, fans not wearing enough paint, daddy not saying he loved you… What have you pick any one and I will tell you it is just an excuse. Other teams are fighting through injuries and winning. Other teams lost seasoned veterans and are winning. The list goes on and one.

My friends it is the mind set, the testicular fortitude if you will. The Chargers no longer believe they will win, and that means at the earliest excuse they will not win.

The truly frustrating thing is that this team COULD do it all. Even without Merriman, they have the talent, the strength and the ability. The only thing missing is spirit. Watch the Chargers against the Steelers. Look into the eyes of the defensive players as Ben Roethlisberger makes pass after pass for first downs and the tight end comes open underneath play after play. On the last drive the Chargers were a beaten team. The offense on the sidelines looked dumbfounded. They should.

They played a poor game to a man. I loved seeing LaDainian Tomlinson making some good runs for more than five yards, that has sorely been missing this season. I loved seeing Jeromey Clary fighting out there like he was playing for his season and job. I love seeing Mad man Malcom Floyd getting involved and catching everything thrown his way.

I hated seeing Philip Rivers lack of control on his passes. Rivers who started the season out on fire is now in what I would classify as a three game slump. Normally reliable, he has repeatedly through the last three games made poor decisions, had difficulties managing the clock, and showed a lack of urgency when getting to the line and getting a play off.

As for the defense, where do you start. While it was good to see some physical sacks against Pittsburgh, you have to get those against a QB who has been sacked over thirty times this season. They still show an inability to defend the pass, stop the opposition (without allowing them to score point) and get off the field.

At this point Charger fans should steady themselves. 6-10 is a strong possibility. There is no doubt this off season will see changes. The current window of opportunity is slamming shut. LT is not getting any younger and the last two off seasons he has been talking candidly about retirement. The Defensive line is aging rapidly and Big Jamal Williams will not have many seasons left on those knees. The Offensive line is aging as well. Contracts are running their course and soon the Chargers will be forced to decide which players to keep and which players to let go.

Is it the end. Nope. Every off season sees new windows. Will they open, are they painted shut. Are the opaque or clear? Questions that like the Chargers opportunities can only be answered in the future.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok, asbestos undies on. Flame away. It is not easy to say, but that is how I see things.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    My friends it is the mind set, the testicular fortitude if you will. The Chargers no long believe they will win, and that means at the earliest excuse they will not win.

They have none.

Norv used this on the team

[​IMG]

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

PS. Great write-up Curtis.

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the team has no
    focus
    heart
    desire
    intensity
    discipline

and that unfortunately does go to the coach.

AJ needs to
    A) Have no more say in the hiring of coaches
    B) Start ripping this team apart to bring in younger hungrier players

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I respect your opinion....( :lol: ) But i dont think the answer is to demolish the team and rebuild.

I think the players need to be kept and allow them an off season to refocus and come back. Players like Wilhelm, Cromartie, Weddle, Chambers, Rivers, and a host of others dont go from smelling like roses, to smelling so bad skunks run away from them, in a single season.

I honestly think that Cottrell fried the D. I think there is in-fighting in the O. The D has lost it's confidence, can anyone argue that point. When you lose confidence you dont play the scheme because you dont trust it or the person next to you.

The O is falling in on itself. That has to be fixed another way and may mean either good players go, or a coach climbs up their colon!

Thats my opinionation at lease.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Here is the gage to use.

There are still Tickets available for sale through Chargers.Com.

Could this be our first black out?

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    As frustrated as I am I hope not. I know the majority of Boltsville is disapointed in how the Chargers are performing, but I also know most of those still love the Bolt, which makes the disapointment that much more painful.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The offense has no identity. Just look at the difference in the way they hold themselves on the sideline. They are not a cohesive group, on or off the field. Looking back everyone says the lack of togetherness is a non-issue, they will learn to play together.

Well, now we are seeing the result of that belief.

When we NEED to exert our WILL on the other team, we cannot.

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree, the chargers are really just a few players away and a few coaches away from being better. WE've lost games by just a few points this year. Were close. Team needs a shake up. But not a big one. A little shakeup.

Defensive front 7 needs two or three better players. And someone has to get the d-backfield working better. Alot of talent back there but its a cluster snuck back there now.

They might look at getting a better center. Hardwick doesn't have the strength or size to take on huge d-tackles. And goff is slowing down so a better guard might be found in free agency.

And a change in scenery might help. Move the team to butte montana or north dakota where the players and coaches just concentrate on football and not the good life of SoCal.:icon_eek:

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    If want we want to win the sb next season, we have to do what's in my siggy.

Olshanky leaves and we sign J-pepp, I hate to say it but i think sproles will leave and I think we need hester to emerge. Davis could return kicks along with Gordon. There is also a chance cro leaves and we need cason to emerge as soon as possible.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The O has finally just had it, they are too burnt out and are too tired of trying to carry the team at the same point that the defense is finally playing.

AJ needs to trim some serious fat away in players who can't hold their own including Wilhelm, Igor, Hart (maybe), Davis, etc. The rest need to be put on notice and a fire lit under their ***.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

BOTTOM LINE... They DON'T respect Norv!!!!

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If we lose next Sunday, then I'll say it's over. But we're only 2 games out. There was improvement defensively yesterday that gives us something to build on. So as long as we get to within a game of Denver, we can at least have a shot to catch them in week 17. Hopefully the tie breaks will go our way by then. But it's not over yet.

14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    denver being 6-4, i still see them losing at the jets, at carolina, to the bills, and then week 17. that should leave them beating kc and oakland and finishing 8-8. besides indy the rest of the chargers games dont look too tough. plus denver's 3-4 conference record is worse too. so basically, it really isnt as bad as it looks.

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You'll like this mock,

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

• Like Like x 1
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This I agree with.
    Hell, I guess I'm one of the few that want Olshansky to stay. Cause I believe with a new coach, the Olshansky that we all know will return.
    We were once one of the best defenses in the league and we'll get there again.

1 retard down... 2 to go!!!

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree for the most part. As for the "Superbowl window" closing - nah ah. We never had one. No team really does. Did the Patriots think they were on track in 2000? The Giants in 2007? The Chargers' year was 2006; that was our shot but instead it was a 14-2, 1-DUN season blown by Marty Schottenheimer in the game that cost "the winningest head coach in the NFL" his occupation. So Superbowl - anyone, that is ANYONE that makes the playoff cut can WIN the Superbowl. It's not likely, quite rare but Pittsburgh did it. New York did it. San Diego could do it - probably not this year but soon, certainly soon.

18. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    OH YEA!

:abq2:

We could of really used that 2nd rounder that we gave to NE for hester but we still have the 3rd and will we compensatory (spel?) picks?

I say use the 3rd rounder to get an OL or a safety.

I can't believe i'm saying this but... can't wait for draft day! :abq2:

19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Nope not yet. We have a decent shot. One game at a time starting this weekend.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    One game at a time. But right now, I see this team finishing 6-10... :tdown:

22. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

bandwagon pos! get the **** off! :tup:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Son we are gonna have a looooong talk at the next tailgater....:icon_evil:

:icon_rofl:

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

LMMFAO!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

It is well written, Concudan and it's a good read but for some reason, MD's response made me laugh really hard! :yes:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Me too, but I am stil gonna beat him like a rented mule! :icon_rofl:

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Doom and gloom is all I see around here, hell you should have been a fan in the old day's. If you think it's bad now you know nothing about what early 70's gave us fan's,

We're still in contention and have a remote but possible shot and we should just turn the light's out on this season??????? :no:

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I admire your faith. But the light IS out. Sorry, but we have a resurgent Indy comming in and we cant stop the pass to save our life.

We have a tough Atlanta team following them, cant stop the pass or the run.

We might beat Oakland and Denver. KC in KC in December... We never play well there. Bucs? We cant stop them and Rivers has been throwing it up for grabs.

Sorry, no pom poms here. I want them to prove me wrong and will eat crow if I am.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Conc, go down with the ship it's honorable thing to do.:tup::icon_toast:

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks for the laugh, MD!!!

That was great!!!! :yes: :tup:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am still aboard. I am just yelling ICEBURG!!!! As I said, I will bleed bolts till I die. 1-15 seasons wont make me change neither will this. But I wont sugar coat it either. Even a polished turd is still a turd... :lol: