1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turner: ‘Team is focused’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 7, 2009

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner praised his team Monday for the way they practiced and prepared for their regular-season opener despite potential distractions.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner stood before a large group of cameras Monday and praised his players for the way they began their work week in preparation for next Monday’s regular-season opener in Oakland.

“I’m excited about the maturity level of our football team,” Turner said. “I’m excited about the way they’ve prepared themselves for the season and I’m excited about what they got done in the preseason. There’s a total different focus and mindset, and I thought our guys had that today. I thought we had great meetings. I thought our walkthroughs, guys were very attentive and practice was very good.”

Turner’s words came on the heels of linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] being the subject of a citizen’s complaint early Sunday morning. The head coach nor Merriman’s teammates had much to say about the specific incident, but each promised that they wouldn’t let it have any impact on the task at hand.

“We’ve got a really focused group,” quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “It was a good Monday. I’d much rather talk about the Raiders, but our guys have handled it well. We came out and had a good day. The operation and the attitude and the way the day went was no different than any other practice day.”

Added running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG]: “We’re all professionals. When we get out on the football field, it’s our job to play football and not think about anything else.”

Merriman issued a statement Sunday night and spoke with his teammates individually about the incident. Turner addressed the topic with Merriman but chose to keep their conversation private. Merriman was on the practice field Monday, and Turner felt the linebacker’s performance was focused as well.

“He’s a good football player and he’s very zeroed in,” Turner said.
    Merriman will start next Monday in Oakland, which will mark his first regular-season action since the 2008 opener. The Chargers’ starting “Sam” linebacker has taken small steps forward throughout the summer, and Turner liked what he saw from Merriman in the team’s preseason finale Friday night.

“He looks awfully good to me,” Turner said. “I think he looked the most explosive he’s looked against the 49ers. I think he’s going to keep being more explosive and more confident as we go through the season.”

2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Norv I hope this isn't lip service...I guess we will know after Monday night's game!

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Shawne is going to be a man on a mission this year. Jamarcus better have his legs ready - lotsa running on MNF!!! :tup: