1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turner: Bolts not as good as outsiders think

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by ChargerJeff, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I think Norv thought it was 4TH down with 10 seconds left in the half when we kicked the field goal and was too much of a puss to admit it. Bring back marty at least teams feared our toughness then
    :icon_eek:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!

We NEVER had these problems with being unprepared to start, expecting every game to be a cake walk, lacking focus, or whatever else before Norv took over!!! :yes: :yes:

This is his third season. If he still hasn't figured out how to coach the team he needs to go!!!

3. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    We aren't going to bring back Marty.............but you may be right!

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Chargers ranks after 2 weeks

Passing Offense = 1st
    Rushing Offense = 30th
    Overall Offense = 5th

Pass Defense = 13th
    Rushing Defense = 25th
    Overall Defense = 20th

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    chargers should have won going away if the o-line could punch some holes for our rb's to run for t.d.'s What the frack is wrong with our o-line.

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Wow...those stats tell a story. It feels like the Fouts and Don Coryell era.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LOOK!! Philip Rivers is not a Chargers fan either!

“I guess it kind of seems that the expectation outside of the building is that we never should lose a game, we should score every single time in the red zone, we should never punt,” Rivers said. “It’s just a little bit unrealistic.

“We aren’t as good as we want to be or that we can be, yet,” Rivers said. “You can look at that negatively or positively. On the positive side, if we’re peaking at Week 2, sitting at 1-1, we’d be in trouble. But we’re here climbing the mountain right now, early in the season, just took a team that was in the AFC championship to the wire and had opportunities to win. There’s nothing to hang our head about. There are definitely things to correct, that we didn’t do so well. Our mindset is very positive.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-lose&prov=ap&type=lgns

• Like Like x 1
  8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    CUT RIVERA NOW!!!!:icon_tease:

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I agree, with as much potential as we have, if we bare it all, we give up the element of surprise come January.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I haven't been real hard on Norval thus far, but from the two decisions be made at the end of the half and the end of the game, the ice has gotten a tad thinner on my pond.

11. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm disappointed as a fan of the game that we have to take things out of context just to make a coach look bad. Listen to the whole interview. Did he flip out and yell at the press? Did he say that the Chargers won't be able to improve by the end of the season and make a dent in the playoffs? Read between the lines guys. Ravens didn't have a great game either. I'm sure their coach said some things to the media that can be taken out of context as well, and be made to appear that he isn't as some have put it "a real NFL coach". I for one am glad that for the most part people on this board do not get their wishes fulfilled. I for one am glad that we have a coach that has high expectations for this team and isn't afraid to say that there are areas that need work. His emphasis on the statement was that "we can get there" and "we've got to play better". Didn't we just play a tough physical game with 5 starters out? Shouldn't the coaching staff get some credit for those guys stepping up?

Regarding the play calling, none of us are NFL coaches for a reason. Don't quit your day job.

• Like Like x 6
  12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    three things:

1. THANK YOU for such a calm statement, I totally agree
    2. WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!
    3. Check my sig. I believe.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    I disagree with you on a lot of things, but your right on with this...Norv needs to shut his mouth.

undercutting the team is not what I want in a head coach...if this keeps up i think he should leave.

If this is what he thinks about his team after week 2 then why didn't he tell the fans this at the beginning of the season. Funny thing is if Norv tells the fanbase this crap before week one, then he might have a little more crediblity with the fans...so after 2 games we arent as good as outsides think we are?

Did he just figure this out after all the injuries or did he learn this after being out coached the last 2 weeks?

Also, (us the fanbase) were told we won the Raider game on talent....now were not as good as people think we are...

I went to Ravens game and was very disappointed, but kept my mouth shut...this week i think Norv needs to hear the fans.

When you have this much talent you can't expect the fans to listen to a head coach telling the fanbase we arent as good as they want us to be, but we can get there?

Ok Norv, when will we get there? you've had 3 seasons.

I think it's very fair for the fans to rip this team's coach when the Chargers stand along side the "outsiders" when they pump this team as one of the most talented in the league. Then after being out coached you tell your our fanbase we arent as good as you thought they were.

In saying all this I think Rivers is right, we can't expect the team to score everytime we get the ball, it's unrealistic. Injuries are killing us, no one could see this coming.

I still think we will make the playoffs, and we might even win 11 games. So all is not lost, but we as fans have a right to question this team.

15. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Nailed it....we are no longer a running team.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    So many on this board have made up their minds about Norv. There's nothing he can do to change it. I just wish the many of you who are like that would admit it and stop acting like you're being reasoned and fair-minded in your criticism of Norv. The bottom line is that if Norv gave a rosy, "everything's OK" comment, he'd be bashed for that, too. I think he's sending a message to the team with this comment. He's not pleased with the team's play. It seems the same people that are bashing Norv for making this statement are also are extremely unhappy with the team's play thus far. After two games, the team has not been as good as their press clippings. Why is it wrong for Norv to state the obvious?

17. ChargersHooligan_22

ChargersHooligan_22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    some you guys are waaay too quick to blame a coach before blaming play execution.

quit scapgoating. the whole team fcuks a play/drive up. not just a coach.

get over the norval turner witch hunt. he is our coach. our players play the plays, not him.

p.s. my chargers fanhood was earned during the 90's. it was not earned by hating norv turner or jumping on the bandwagon in last 5 years. whoever said "real fans hate norv" is a jackass....:tdown:

18. ChargersHooligan_22

Ratings:
    +6

right on brotha:tup:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'm glad he didn't sugar coat the play thus far this early in the season. I'm happy he didn't say we are playing the best we can, I'd really be worried then.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Well then hire Jon Gruden. At least with him, these guys would be spittin fire everytime the Turds games came around. He got the bums rush in Tampa Bay as far as I'm concerned too. The dude probably should have had his Raiders in the Super Bowl if not for the tuck rule game. Then the following year..he takes Tampa Bay, upsets Philly in the NFC Title game and beats his ex-team in that Super Bowl. He was doin something right and he's emotional as hell!

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    He won with what many people consider to be Tony Dungy's Bucs team. After that year he never went very far in the playoffs

No thanks
    Find me some hard charging defensive coach or at the worst Russ Grimm

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I really really really hate to say this but as long as we have AJ as our GM we will never have a coach with any sack. That is probably why AJ passed on Rex Ryan. Can you imagine them two together in a room? :lol:

23. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Why are we discussing a coaching change 2 weeks into the season? Were 1-1, so are NE and Pitt. The Titans are 0-2 and they are not calling for Jeff Fishers head.

We're not all Norv fans. But the guy did bring us 3 playoff wins the last 2 seasons. Something that hasn't been done since freaking Bobby Ross. So let's all chill.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ChargersHooligan_22

Ratings:
    +6
    bravo to the UT chargers beat writers...

tim sullivan and kevin acee have the pulse of the san diego fan..... basically calling the majority of yas irrational, unexpireced, over-reactive and unknowledgable....

kudos to our UT staff for calling it how it is!!:tup:

:flag:

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    :yes:

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    And they have been following the Chargers for how long?

Bio

Tim Sullivan came to San Diego from The Cincinnati Enquirer, where for 25 years he chronicled a wide range of subjects – eight Olympic Games; the gambling probe that led to Cincinnati's fallen hero, Pete Rose, being banned from baseball; complex financing debates over new stadiums for baseball's Reds and football's Bengals; and sensitive human interest stories.
    A native of the Washington, D.C., area and a 1976 graduate of the University of Missouri, Sullivan worked briefly for the Tulsa Tribune before joining The Enquirer in January 1977.

He served as beat writer covering the University of Cincinnati, the Bengals and the Reds before being named a columnist in September 1984.

He has been honored twice in recent years by The Associated Press Sports Editors in the top national sports journalism contest. In his newspaper's circulation category, Sullivan placed in the Top 10 in Column Writing in 1999 and won first place for Best News Story in 2000 for his coverage of the Ken Griffey Jr. trade.

Sounds like a lifelong Charger fan to me?

And Kevin Acee? Child Please
    :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

BRAVO!!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Read up, Norv defenders!!!

28. ChargersHooligan_22

Ratings:
    +6

so u agree with me then?

just gets old hearing fans unqualified opinions/suggestions/coaching philosophy...

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    "They ARE what we THOUGHT they were!!!!"

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ha! That is the purpose of a forum. None of us are what you call qualified. Who is qualified? A coach? A GM? Certainly not a beat writer who has less that 10 years of experience following a team. I will take a 30+ year fans opinion over a 10 year beat writer (not fan) any day.