1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turner: Bolts not as good as outsiders think

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by ChargerJeff, Sep 21, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    His press conference speak should only take the pressure off the team. With 5 starters hurt after the Oakland game noone surely can speak of a superbowl bound team, but getting under the radar would be fine.

I just saw the whoöe game vs. Ravens. It was just a lack of luck to get the last TD. The critics on Norv and Ron are okay,
    first half defense was unseen, why take RB Bennett out of the game, but our depth played well and we'll see Ravens again in the playoffs.

2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194

...and I still like those years ! Philip to Jackson, Gates, Floyd and Sproles is bringing back the feelings

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    no surrender, no retreat, Norv will bring us into the super bowl

4. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    :tup: :eek:wned:

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Wow. After a day to digest what he said, I agree, but I think a lot has been taken out of context, we all are guilty of having freakishly lofty expectations, including 19-0. That's not likely, nor is 12-4, or 13-3... for now. Read that again -- for now we'll be okay, we have two weeks of play before our bye week, so we'll figure out something.

6. ChargersBKK

ChargersBKK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Norv probably want to put pressure off the team, but this is not the way he should speak out. It's hard to admit that the team lost because of bad play callings.

7. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    I think the missed tackles on defense and some missed blocks on the offense and mental mistakes on the field may have had something to do with the loss on Sunday.

8. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    In my opinion this loss is on both Norv and the players (although injuries are part of the issue for some of the problems). Ultimately, it does fall on Norv. What I find interesting is that everyone loves to quote Norv's success in December and January. Has he had success in those months? Yes. Has he made good play calls in critical situations? Yes again, however I question his ability to motivate and create discipline within the team. And I must admit that I wonder how much of our success in December and January is him and not the players finally realizing that they are not as good as everyone else thinks they are, hence taking charge themselves.

This is my point, since Norv has been here we have started slow and, IMO, unprepared, undisciplined, and lacked the fire and intensity that most teams do when they start the season. I blame this all on Norv, that is where it starts. Look at the Baltimore game, barring the stupid play calling, look how many ridiculous penalties we had. Well coached teams don't do that. Baltimore wasn't even close in penalties. Look at Norv's history as a head coach elsewhere, you will find similar issues.

Now having said all of this, do I think we will turn it around? Yes, however I believe that a lot of it will be because of the other leaders within the organization. It is interesting when you talk to someone who has either worked for Norv or has an inside perspective to hear what they "really" think of him. It isn't as rosy as everyone believes (which I had a privilege to talk to someone just this week who had that inside perspective, to remain nameless).

Anyway, there is nothing we can do to change the situation. All we can do is remain supportive and hope that we can get this turned around. At least we are not playing in the AFC East.

9. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I have to agree, they are not different than any of us. They are opinionated and biased, heck, they can't even agree with each other on the same subject. Ultimately, there view is subjective just as our is. Whoever quoted them, I hope they don't try using "beat writers" as reference material in their research papers (if they are going to school)....they will find out really quickly that it is not a reputable source.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Something to notice from the past...

When players spoke to the Media about Marty... they said it with excitement and entheuseum. It showed on their face and was heard in their voice. If they didn't win, they would go down fighting.

When players speak to the media about Norv, they know they can't say what they really feel. Just ask Osgood. Their face is blank and they're speaking under their voice.

Before some of you get bent out of shape, I would have had no problem ditching Marty for someone better. There are many great coaches available that would love to be here. There was NO need to settle!

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I'm not for firing the HC only two games into the season but if it were to happen, Charlie Joiner could very easily run the offense.

Get Chucky out of the Booth and we may just go all the way. :icon_shrug:

12. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +386
    What's entheuseum? A mucous form of nauseum?

Seriously... It depends on which player because Schrottenheimer DID play favorites.

Your distaste for Norv is almost cartoon like. Kind of an Acme school of football logic. Nobody is going to mind seeing the anvil hit the powerlines and land on your head... because winning is more fun than railing on head coaches.

Anyway... have a good time with whatever amuses you!

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Welcome back Sandolf!

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +386
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

15. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326

Maybe Norv isn't as good as everyone thinks he is....JMHO

• Like Like x 1
  16. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +326
    IMO a very accurate statement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Fellas,

I think you have a very talented Chargers team, but the talent is mismanaged by your coaches.

Good luck ... but not too much.

Go Fins!
    Dave
    http://phinfever.com/

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    With all the hand wringing and whining in here, I don't think many people think Norv is that good.

18. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Are we really going to base the Chargers coaching staff and their value on how often people complain on message boards? There are plenty of cliches to throw around right now (grass is always greener, be careful what you ask for, don't quit your day job) but I think the best one is that some people are never happy. Right now there are people in Boston complaining about the Patriots, fans in Pitt giving up on the Steelers, Ravens fans questioning their defense. We are lucky enough to watch an incredibly talented team every week. Do you really think guys like Rivers, Jackson, Gates, and Sproles would be stars if the talent was really mismanaged?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I like Norv overall for a couple of reasons, but mainly the relationship he has with his QBs. Everytime I watch a Norv then a Rivers interview they seem to be on the same page.

Norv: we aren't as good as we can be right now, but we can get there and have a lot of work to do it

Rivers: yeah i agree, if we were peaking right now in week 2 we'd be in trouble

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Excellent post. Welcome to the forum...

20. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    This Team has been in a steady decline since he took over so the calling for Norv to pack his **** and go isn't because of a week 2 loss.

It's because this is a trend every year since he was handed the whistle, this team had won less games and if the pattern continues this team will not even make the playoffs.

This team has 0 discipline shown by the amount of plenty's. They never seem prepared and just don't seem very energized.

Yes its up to the players to execute but they can only go with the plays called in by Norv and his playcalling is mediocre at best.

Just going for the big play every time and playing for a FG in the redzone shows his lack of drive and willing to go for the kill when it counts, this football not a ballet.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Player's win games, coaches just have input. If our player's put the effort in we win, if they drop passes or interceptions or fumble the ball we eat ****.

Our defense hasn't stopped a running game yet this year, where the hell is our defense???????????

Blame Norv all you want, but the **** has out foxed you, you're barking up the wrong tree. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +326
    Successful coaches adjust the plays they use to the players abilities (strengths and weaknesses) they have on hand and set the players up to be successful. Successful play calling comes from the insight a coach has of his team and the other team.

IMO....Many times it seems Norv doesn't use the players he has to the best advantage of the team. JMHO

23. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    how many times 1) did we get to the playoffs with marty, and 2) win those playoff games? :icon_huh: just asking.

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    glad we went through last season, i can't give up on my team, even when there's four games to go and we're three games behind or something like that. it's week two, i sure as hell wont say this shits all that bad. we've been through MUCH worse

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We were not in a rebuilding mode when Norv took over. Firing Marty and hiring Norv was premature ejaculation.

There's a reason why NOBODY offered Norv a position as HC when the Redskins ditched him. Al did not hire him because that was his top choice.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Come on, now, that's a bit unfair.

I'm sure LT would have aged just the same had Marty stayed here.

Say what you will about Norv, and I'm hardly on his support train, but he did win the playoff games...something Marty never could do.

Going 14-2 was awesome, but it means jack **** when you go one and done.

All your talk about Super Bowl rings, how many did Marty bring this franchise? And he had LT when he was in his prime and our defense when it was actually good.

I don't get why people approach this debate like it has to be an either/or thing. They both have/had their faults.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Who did he have on his receiving team?
    Especially in that playoff game, with McCardell out.

I agree that 14-2 means nothing if you don't advance but we were young and still learning. We went against a team that's been there and won it MANY times!!!

So LT is starting to age but Norv has wayyyyyyyyyyyy more weapons that Marty had!!!

And about the Super Bowl rings, Norv didn't bring in any either. If he does it, I'll give him props.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Norv had "waaaaaaay" more weapons than Marty.

Sure, Norv has better WRs, but Marty had LT in his prime AND Michael Turner. Norv has a hobbled LT and Darren Sproles.

Marty also had a healthy Shawne Merriman and a dangerous-because-Merriman is on the other side-Shaun Phillips and Wade Phillips using his weapons correctly. Norv has an injured, not as effective Merriman, a depleted DL, and had Ted Cotrell for most of his tenure.

As for the retort about Norv's ringless fingers, as I said, I wasn't defending him.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv had Turner too. We just didn't see much of him until LT got hurt.

As for Cotrell... speak to AJ about that.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    That's certainly a valid point, but Marty had the combo for much longer and while LT was healthy.

No matter how much I speak to AJ about it it won't negate the fact that Turner had Cotrell while Marty had Phillips.