1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turner: Bolts not as good as outsiders think

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by ChargerJeff, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    You didn't answer the question, as usual.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Ever think that Marty using Turner was the key to keeping LT healthy?

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    You might have a point if not for the fact that LT had more attempts per year under Marty than he did under Norval.

315 carries in 2007

The only time he had less carries than that under Marty was 2003 when he had 313

Something tells me age was the underlying factor. Running backs are weird like that.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sure did. Marty was handed a rust bucket that he needed to get running again (5-11 followed by 1-15).
    Norv was handed a Lamborghini with million dollar upgrades.

Marty got us to the playoff for the first time in a decade and again two years later. At that time, the Donks were a tough team to beat and the Quiefs were no push over either.

I agree that 14-2 means nothing if you don't advance but we were young and still learning. We went against a team that's been there and won it MANY times!!!
    Question: With McCardell out, who did we have on our receiving team? Any ligitimate goto guy?

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Michael Turner had 80 carries in 2006, 71 in 2007.

Did Norv really ignore him as much as people claim? Or did it just seem like he was ignored because his yards/carry dropped from 6.3 to 4.5?

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    AJ put that Lamborghini together, but we're not supposed to credit him, are we?

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But there were many time when LT sat out the forth quarter in those days. In 2006, he was chasing a record and you want him to get it.

If you remember, we could have put Turner up for trade after the 06 season but we brought him back instead. Week 10, Norv's own words "we haven't had a chance to use him yet."

Norv's words today on Bennett, "I guess we should use him more."

That is all the evidence you need to see that Norv can't handle the job!!!

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The stats speak for themselves, dude.

Carries under Marty

2002: 372
    2003: 313
    2004: 339
    2005: 339
    2006: 348

Carries under Turner

2007: 315
    2008: 292

A random quote from Norv is not all the evidence I need.

The evidence I need is in the stats.

Michael Turner carries in 2006: 80
    Michael Turner carries in 2007: 71

So Norv used Turner 9 less times. Big whoop

The only thing that quote tells me is Norv doesn't even know what Norv's doing with his team.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The majority of those times were in the playoffs and AFC Championship.

At least we agree on this... the job is too big for Norv to handle!

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    No they were not. I was looking at regular season statistics.

If you want to count the playoffs Turner ran the ball 114 times in 2007.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There is a reason why Norv said after week 10 "we haven't had a chance to use him yet."
    That's also probably why we started winning (besides playing ****** teams).

12. trevfx

trevfx BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I find it hilarious reading all the comments from those of you who say we shouldn't be criticizing Norv Turner and his ability to coach our team.

Who makes the play calls during a game?

When we are 3rd and 2 in the red zone, who is calling that play?

When we have the opportunity to "go for it", who is calling that play?

I thought Norv does. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now you're probably going to argue back, it's also about play execution. Yes, it is. Absolutely. But the reason a lot of us get fired up about Norv is because it seems clear as day that the WRONG calls are being made. Now I will give him the benefit of the doubt because hind sight is 20-20. If I was the coach, I would probably make some bad play calls myself and get fired over it. All you Norv defenders, I guarantee you none of us Norv haters think we are better coaches. We just see the obvious, while you blind yourself in your own delusion.

Norv coming out and saying we're not as good as you make us out to be was complete bull. It was an excuse to get away from coming out and just stating the obvious - we didn't play well - we made some bad decisions - etc. Trust me, Charger fans are smart people; we're not delusional thinking we're the best in the league and nobody can beat us - GIVE ME A BREAK.

What we do believe is this - we have all the POTENTIAL every game to win every game. We BELIEVE in our team and what we have on the field, even when we don't have everyone on the field who we'd like. We ACKNOWLEDGE the awesome weapons of Rivers, Jackson, Cason, SPROLES!!, Cooper, Gates, etc.

This is the San Diego CHARGERS people!!!!!

This why I am a CHARGERS fan for LIFE!!!!

Look at the highlights from the Ravens game -- River's bombing out to Jackson for a TD -- that's why I'm a CHARGERS fan!! Hell ya!

We have a good team! We had a good team last year and the year before. Sure like any other team out there, we have our challenges and we will lose games. But what I expect from Norv, and the rest of the team, is to own up to the responsibility of losing so that we can make way for winning.

Winners don't say sorry, we're not as good as you want us to be. Total Bull. Winners come out and say WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT GAME. Not, we will get there, whine whine, sob sob. We are BETTER. We need to EXECUTE. We need to get MAD and kick some ***.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    BRAVO!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW... we also don't expect to score on every drive, finish 19-0, or what ever other crap these Norv defenders want to make up.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I'm just posting the stats, dude.

Norv can make all the quotes he wants, it doesn't negate the fact that he used Turner only 9 less times than Marty did the year prior.

And 37 of his 71 carries (52.1%) came prior to that quote.

Norv probably made that quote because Turner had 0 carries in each of the previous two games prior to the quote.

So, yeah, Norv didn't use Turner at all in a win against Indy and a loss against Jacksonville. :icon_shrug:

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Hey; why dont we all take a heaping helping of grow the frack up?

This labeling 'Norv haters' and 'Norv defenders' is playground grade bull ****. Poeple see things differently. That is it. Get over yourself, your opinions and your angst.

We are all still Charger fans, and if you/me/he/she/it cant communicate without labeling and trying to put the other down, then you need to excuse yourselves.

Sometimes thoese you label as X hater, or X defender are not, they just see things a bit less ferverent that you...

B4L, we all know wher you stand, you hav every right to hate Norv to your lil hearts content... Labeling those who disagree with you is childish at best, in my honest opinion. Do you really feel the need to force everyone to agree with you? It aint going to happen.

Trevfx, welcome to the forum. Keep posting your views, but please do so without labeling people, it takes away from your valid points of view and makes it appear you cant handle people seeing things in a different light.

All if the shoe fits wear it. We are all Charger fans, so remember that.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Candidate for post of the year. :icon_toast:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Face it... you're just mad because you can't argue Trevfx's POV!!! So your ONLY defense is "childish."

You've done wayyyyy worse as I have too (and others).
    You and others saying that those of us that don't like Norv expect to score on every drive, finish 19-0, or whatever else is not exactly flattering either.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I do believe this team is not as good as we all thought they would be. Not yet anyways. Is that any different from what Norv said?

Norv and his coaches made some bad calls, Rivers missed some throws, the OL missed blocks, the D-line got shoved up and down the field, Linebackers missed tackles and coverages, DBs did the same as the LBs... and on it goes.

Show me where Norv blamed the players. Show me where he excluded himself from blame.

We're stuck with the guy and in the end it might not be as bad as we all thought it would be.

Go ahead LABELERS... Label me. :bananafinger:

19. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Nice post!!!!!!!!! You labeler :lol::icon_tease:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    What's the big deal about this labeling anyway? Some people like Norv and some don't. So what?

Some people thought/think we would have been better off if we stuck with Brees. I'm sure they didn't mind being seen a Brees supporters.

There are many posters that carry the Marty Hater label with pride.

Nobody in here is being labeled for their nationality, ethnic background, race, or whatever else. THEY ARE BEING LABELED FOR THEIR OPINION THAT THEY STATED HERE IN THE FORUM IN THEIR OWN WORDS!!!

Think I get upset being look at as a Norv Hater?

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    No, I am not mad at all. It was a well thought out post with valid points. I dont agree with them all.

I dont like the childish labeling game. I did not expect you to agree, so I am not mad at either of your responces either...

Please quote me where I have said that you expect the team to score on every drive or go 19-0 or what ever else. If you find it, i will post an apology to you.

If you cant, maybe you should man up...

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I, like many others was not keen of the fact that Norv was selected as our head coach. I choose to support my team no matter who is in charge and I seen some real loser's. Anyone who thinks Norv is bad obviously doesn't remember the Harlan Savre (sp) era.

We still have a good team and I believe we can still make it into the PO's and even the SB. It won't be easy but it can be done.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I am not saying that you personally said that but those are the words of several Norv defenders.

You have made it clear that you like Norv and think he's a good coach. So why does it upset you to be seen as a Norv defender?

And you can't deny that Trevfx nailed it!!! :cool:

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

So we've had other bad coaches... So What?
    There are many great coaches available that AJ didn't bother speaking with and TODAY, we're in a situation to be picky.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    what exactly is it you see him 'nailing'? He stated his opinions, and that is cool.

I do think Norv is a good coach, I think that you are overboard and unobjective where it comes to him. Is he perfect, no, what coach is?

Is he better than some of our more recent coaches.... Yeah he is. Are there things I am concerned about, yeah. You seem to feel that a coach has to be perfect. I dont.

So if that is nailing it, then so be it.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I'm not going to spar with you on your hatred of Norv, I don't really care. In fact I'm glad you feel the way you do, just don't try to shove your opinion on me.

I never said that better coaches weren't available, but it looks like we're going with what we have. I love this game and I love my team which I have supported all of my life, so please don't try and educate me. I have forgotten more about this team than you will ever know.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Trevfx nailed the truth. That's why you can't argue it.

No a coach does not have to be perfect but he has to be good. Norv is below average, just check his stats.

I love how you guys talk about playoff wins like we were/are an average at best team and because of Norv, we overachieved. That's total lack of respect for our players!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Which stats would those be?

What is his win loss record with the Chargers? Do you know?

How is his record of winning in the post season with the Chargers? Do you know?

Please look those up, then lets define what you mean by below average based on his stats.

Also the only think Trevfx nailed, was his opinion. One you agree with so you are willing to sell it as truth. Not everyone is a lax with the concept as you apparently are.

29. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Actually, NORV HATER... it was Philip Rivers who said it.

Yeah... I quoted it earlier, but you probably need to see it again so you can crystallize it in your mind.

Here ya' go:

“I guess it kind of seems that the expectation outside of the building is that we never should lose a game, we should score every single time in the red zone, we should never punt,” Rivers said. “It’s just a little bit unrealistic.

“We aren’t as good as we want to be or that we can be, yet,” Rivers said. “You can look at that negatively or positively. On the positive side, if we’re peaking at Week 2, sitting at 1-1, we’d be in trouble. But we’re here climbing the mountain right now, early in the season, just took a team that was in the AFC championship to the wire and had opportunities to win. There’s nothing to hang our head about. There are definitely things to correct, that we didn’t do so well. Our mindset is very positive.”

From the article that was posted by the thread starter:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-lose&prov=ap&type=lgns

AGAIN...

...RIVERS SAID IT!!!

GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL YOU LABELIZING LABEL LOVER.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yawn: You keep trying to sell me (and everyone else) this concept that we're a mediocre team but Norv made us into a contender. NO other coach could have brought this team further.

Well I say you're FOS! If we were mediocre, Norv would have got us to 0-16.