1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turner impressed with new Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce

Posted June 23, 2009

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner learned a lot about the team’s draft picks over the last six weeks.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner is looking forward to the start of training camp when he will finally get his first look at the team’s 2009 draft class in pads.

“We’re running around in sweats and you see all these things and you’re anxious to see how they’re going to transfer when the pads go on,” Turner said.

As the Chargers completed Offseason Coaching Sessions last week, Turner summarized his thoughts on several of the team’s rookies following 14 non-contact practices.

In first-round pick Larry English[​IMG], Turner saw a player who he believes will be able to make “impact plays” as a rookie.

“He’s a serious young guy,” Turner said. “He’s got great character, great background and he’s had a great offseason. He’s got about six weeks of work in and he’s been impressive. He’s a natural pass rusher and I’m excited to get him in pads. He’s a very strong player who is going to use his leverage real well.”

Another player Turner is particularly anxious to see in pads is guard Louis Vasquez[​IMG]. Following a strong showing this spring, the team’s third-round pick will likely find himself in heated battle for a starting job in training camp.

“He’s a very physical-looking guy,” Turner said. “I can’t wait to see him when the pads go on because I think he will really step up another notch. He could battle to be a starter. It depends on how he handles things. He’s taken to what we do really well and has been impressive.”

Fourth-round pick Vaughn Martin[​IMG] said last week that his transition to the NFL is teaching him a thing or two about patience. Turner has been just that with the mammoth Canadian and voiced pleasure in Martin’s progress.

“I think he’s learning our system, and that’s what you hope for in May and June,” Turner said. “He’s a very talented guy. I think he’s made the most of the last six weeks. I think he’s gotten a lot better understanding of what we’re doing. He’s playing with more confidence. His number of mental errors is being reduced constantly. He’s a guy with big upside and I’m glad we have him.”

Fellow fourth-round pick Gartrell Johnson[​IMG] got a full workload this spring, particularly last week when a majority of the veterans had departed. He had plenty of chances to impress his coaches, which he did.
    “Gartrell Johnson has been a really exciting guy in the offseason because he’s a very natural runner,” Turner said. “He plays faster than he times. He’s got exceptional ability to make a cut and not slow down. He doesn’t waste movement. He’s a guy that will complement our backs.”

Cornerback Brandon Hughes[​IMG], the team’s fifth-round pick, made an impression with his football IQ, his ball skills and his attitude.

“Brandon has played an awful lot of press coverage,” Turner said. “He’s very natural in the slot. I think he’s going to have a presence on our football team as a young player. He’s picked up what we’re doing extremely well. He’s a very competitive player.”

Kevin Ellison[​IMG] was a physical player at USC and is another defender that will likely stand out more once the team puts on the pads in August. While he missed some time in college due to injuries, Ellison heads into training camp at full strength with a chance to help his new team.

“I think people were concerned about Kevin because he had some injuries but he is 100 percent healthy,” Turner said. “He’s moving around awfully well. Again, when the pads go on it will give him a chance to make that much more of an impression. I think he’ll be a factor on our football team and has a chance to be in our nickel package early and could compete for a starting job.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Marking my territory before it starts flying...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    So whats up with this guy Tyronne Greene we drafted?

No mention of him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Casey just forgot to ask Norv about Green during the interview and decided against waiting to ask Norv at a later date and instead just released the article.

Basically, nothing to read into

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I figured he just didn't come up.

He's probably another Murzikwackalackaowski.......he'll hang around in the background for a few years filling in for injuries.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I wonder if a coach would say "the guy is doing terrible, I don't know why we drafted him..." :icon_shrug:

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    I liked what we drafted and it is good to hear that the new guys are making an impression. Once we see these new guys in pads and hitting people in the pre-season, we will see if they can play at this level.

• Like Like x 2
  9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Not a coach in the league has the balls to say that.

I'd love it though.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eh ...... maybe Singletary or Rex Ryan. :unsure:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Each year coaches call out players. Anyone Remember Larry Johnson wearing diapers? Or hows about any Parcells conferences.

Players get called out all the time. Just not in the words listed above.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe Del Rio just called Henderson out quite recently.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    Vets will get called out, but generally a coach will not slam a rookie before he has played 1 down in an NFL game.

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Where is BOLTS4LIFE :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LOL.

What's to say? Norv says he's happy with the rookie talent he's been handed this season... YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

I think we did pretty good in the draft too. We'll see.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm glad Turner likes what he's seen so far. I think you have to wait until they're collecting a pay check before one can call them out.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Point taken. :yes:

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

Thats it... :icon_shrug:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    IF posters goad B4L into ranting about Norv, dont one of you beetch or report a post when he gives you what your asking for...

• Like Like x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    When have I reported anything, B4S is dead to me and has been for quite some time. I just like to laugh at him and his remarks. Here fishy, fishy. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Like I said "it's always been that way. First certain posters cried about the Norv Sucks posts, so I stopped. Months passed by and those same posters continued whining about the past. So Norv Sucks threads returned by popular demand!!!"

:bolt: :flag: :yes: :tup: :abq2: :abq1: :icon_toast:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    What else is there to say about this thread?
    Any suggestions? :icon_shrug:

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually, Norv doesn't hand out praise too often. I get the feeling he really likes this new crop of players.

• Like Like x 1
  24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I myself get the feeling this group of draft picks is going to be special. I like the overall character and work ethic of this group and feel most of them will contribute now or in the near future.